PDA

View Full Version : HEATERS

Jstudwell
11-06-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm in the process of setting up a 75G for my discus.

Would be interested in hearing about how I might go about setting up an efficient heating system.

I believe a 250W heater is what would be used in a 75G. I'm toying with 2 - 150's or 2 - 200's...Any advice or suggestions? Also who might be able to add a little input/experience on brand names?

Thanks,

John

joanstone
11-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Love the Cobalt Neo-Therm. Pricey, but I really like mine- I've been using them since last Spring. Easy to set and it tells you the actual temperature. Big difference in price from different vendors, so be careful. I was pricing 200 watts yesterday and was getting from $50ish to $80ish.

NAB
11-06-2013, 02:17 PM
It's funny that our lfs say they aren't that great and their suppliers no longer carry them.....blah, blah, blah
yet everyone that seems to be using them, really like them.

So, I guess the choice is up to you but I've heard many good things about them online and only the local fish stores slagging them so I wonder if it's more of a profit margin/cost ratio than anything negative about the Neo-Therms.

I plan to get them for my wife, for Christmas, for her 125 gal. (Early Christmas present)

DonMD
11-06-2013, 02:28 PM
If you are using a canister filter, you might consider an in-line heater. Can't think of the name right now, but mine have worked brilliantly for many years.

Tazalanche
11-06-2013, 02:34 PM
If you are using a canister filter, you might consider an in-line heater. Can't think of the name right now, but mine have worked brilliantly for many years.Are you referring to a 200 watt or 300 watt Hydor?

Keith Perkins
11-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I haven't bought anything but Aqueon Pro for a couple years now, think I have about 8 of them. They're guaranteed for life, and the couple failures I encountered had replacements sent to me the day I called and reported them. Didn't need to return the failed one, didn't have to send them a receipt or proof of purchase, nothing. Other than producing a heater that never fails, I don't know how you can beat that.

DonMD
11-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Are you referring to a 200 watt or 300 watt Hydor?

Yes, Hydor. Been working great for years. Don't remember the wattage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bill63SG
11-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Yes, Hydor. Been working great for years. Don't remember the wattage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Im using a couple of 300watts on my 180 and no problems.

DonMD
11-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Im using a couple of 300watts on my 180 and no problems.

Yes, they are accurate and reliable. Set it and forget it. Also, since the control knob is on the outside of the tank, it's so easy to adjust.

Bill63SG
11-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Yes, they are accurate and reliable. Set it and forget it. Also, since the control knob is on the outside of the tank, it's so easy to adjust.

Only problem is you need a canister filter.My upstairs tank is the only one I run them on.

OC Discus
11-06-2013, 10:24 PM
I recently replaced a single heater with two for my 55 g to balance the heat and ensure a backup. My original was getting unreliable- shot up to about 95 one day.

However, the two new ones are rated for 30-55 gallons. Both have to be set at max to keep the tank at 84 degrees. In order to raise the temp to treat for disease I will have to get a larger heater.

Best option is to get two heaters rated for your size tank. If one fails the other will keep the temp right. Also be sure they have settings for at least 89 to 90 degrees for disease treatment. I wish I had done that. I thought my two were rated for 55 g, but max heat is 84.

I'm in the process of setting up a 75G for my discus.

Would be interested in hearing about how I might go about setting up an efficient heating system.

I believe a 250W heater is what would be used in a 75G. I'm toying with 2 - 150's or 2 - 200's...Any advice or suggestions? Also who might be able to add a little input/experience on brand names?

Thanks,

John

Allwin
11-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I was with via-aqua for a while, recently 3 of my heaters were unreliable altogether in almost the sametime. As keith mentioned, i will go for aqueon pro, which has got life time guaranty..

twocat
11-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Kens has aqueon pro at a nice price.

Mark

OC Discus
11-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Its hard to beat a lifetime warranty.

I was with via-aqua for a while, recently 3 of my heaters were unreliable altogether in almost the sametime. As keith mentioned, i will go for aqueon pro, which has got life time guaranty..

Elliots
11-07-2013, 06:57 AM
If you have more than one heater or not get a temperature controller to stop you water zooming to 95. It is possible that your stuck on heater will make your tank hotter than 95 and you will have expensive fish soup.

OC Discus
11-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a temperature controller? How does it work?

If you have more than one heater or not get a temperature controller to stop you water zooming to 95. It is possible that your stuck on heater will make your tank hotter than 95 and you will have expensive fish soup.

Keith Perkins
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
It's basically a second seperate thermostat. You set it to the temperature you want the tank to be, set the heater a couple of degrees warmer, and the controller regulates the heater rather than the thermostat in the heater.

Jstudwell
11-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Any thoughts or experiences with the DEEP BLUE line of heaters Ken's sells?

Allwin
11-08-2013, 10:17 AM
amazon got some better deals too, 23$ a piece for aqueon pro 250 + 7$shipping flat for any count, if ur buying more than 2 then this is a good deal.

Kens has aqueon pro at a nice price.

Mark