PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia testing frequency

Palmetto deuce
11-07-2013, 03:04 PM
I got my 5 discus yesterday. They are in a newly cycled 90 gallon tank. Prior to their arrival the tank could process 2ppm ammonia in 12 hours. They day before they came I decided to clean the tank up some. I removed a row of valesara I had growing across the back. It was planted in an area of sand about 3 inches deep across the back. I also removed all but a 1/4 inch of sand from everywhere else, except for where my two crypts and my radicon sword is. Well low and behold it affected my biological filter. Took it about 24 hours to consume the last dose of ammonia, which means I was checking it at 6am the morning my fish arrived. I also did a 100% water change that morning with aged water. I put some product called stabil in the tank , it's similar to tetra safe start. The fish are all about 5 inches in size. I checked the water before putting them in. Everything was zero. I checked ammonia and nitrites after 6 & 20 hours which included 2 small feelings and both were zero. How often should I keep checking the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?
BTW the fish are doing great , we love each other!

Elliots
11-07-2013, 03:42 PM
I am totally guessing, one to two weeks. Your tank anmd filters have to adjust to the new increase bioload.