PDA

View Full Version : What type of discus is this?

nub
11-07-2013, 08:41 PM
hey guys, i am new to this forum and i just recently bought a discus and i wanted to know what state it is in. i did read the thread that said what to look for when buying a new discus, now i am asking you guys if this discus is healthy. I also don't know what type of discus it is.

attached is a photo the discus is about 3 inches from mouth to tail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/JUNIOR626/IMG_2176.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JUNIOR626/media/IMG_2176.jpeg.html)

Skip
11-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Stunted pigeon blood type

nub
11-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Stunted pigeon blood type

can you elaborate a little more on what makes it stunned? does it mean it was given hormones? will it not grow?

Skip
11-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Stunted means it was not cared for during first 4 months.. so instead of being full size it will be dwarfed. .

This one is not to bad but it is not aa stunted as others..
No hormones. . Lack of water changes.. it will still grow.. but lets jus say its physically delayed.. and is in lower end of class rank..

Ps.. go to top right corner.. search bar. Put "stunted".. you will get many threads

John_Nicholson
11-07-2013, 09:21 PM
In his own sweet way he is trying to say it is a PB of lower quality. That could be because of genetics of the way it was cared for at the store. The beginners section here is filled with great info but some high points real quick....water 82 to 86, high protein diet, daily water changes, and at least 6 discus of about the same size.

Good luck.

-john

pastry
11-07-2013, 09:35 PM
John, I don't know if I like this sweet, non-blunt-and-to-the-point side of you. I thought I would but... are you playing a joke on me?

Meanwhile, this has to be Skip having a good time with us. "Nub" as a screen name with a picture of a stunted Marlboro. Too good.

Now, if this is true, then I totally look like a duchebag... and auto correct just said that I spelled duchebag incorrect.

Nub, if you truly are real and not a clever joke by Skip, then I apologize. Read further on here and you'll find plenty of help... not so much with that particular fish but with future ones.

John_Nicholson
11-08-2013, 09:03 AM
LOL....If you go back and look at most of the "blowups" they happen when I have posted 1 or sometimes even 2 very nice comments and then get someone with 3 minutes of experience arguing with me about things that I know will fail 95% of the time.....

-john

Elliots
11-08-2013, 12:39 PM
John, it seems like there are always people on SD who think they know more than you do and are trying to show you up for their own egos. That is true of all posters not just you. You are giving free expert advice and sometimes people do not take it. Myself, I do not always take the experts advice and I am usually wrong when I do not take their advice but I like to see what happens. I sometimes post and say "People on SD say" because I disagree with what is said or I do not know if they are correct. I am stating the SD majority opinion. Now I do not think I know more than you about Discus because I know I have less knowledge and experience. I have a question about your high points listed above, I am not arguing, did you leave out steady pH or did you think it is not that important?

Skip
11-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Meanwhile, this has to be Skip having a good time with us. "Nub" as a screen name with a picture of a stunted Marlboro. Too good.

Nub, if you truly are real and not a clever joke by Skip, then I apologize. Read further on here and you'll find plenty of help... not so much with that particular fish but with future ones.

um.. yea.. thats not me.. i only make up Fake Facebook profiles.. not fake profiles in forums..

besides.. if did.. i other user name would be "CLICHE"..

John_Nicholson
11-08-2013, 12:57 PM
A steady ph is important but most of the time large daily WC will give you a steady ph. I was just hitting the high points.

-john

John, it seems like there are always people on SD who think they know more than you do and are trying to show you up for their own egos. That is true of all posters not just you. You are giving free expert advice and sometimes people do not take it. Myself, I do not always take the experts advice and I am usually wrong when I do not take their advice but I like to see what happens. I sometimes post and say "People on SD say" because I disagree with what is said or I do not know if they are correct. I am stating the SD majority opinion. Now I do not think I know more than you about Discus because I know I have less knowledge and experience. I have a question about your high points listed above, I am not arguing, did you leave out steady pH or did you think it is not that important?

nub
11-08-2013, 02:59 PM
i could see why you guys would think i am a fake account ;).. but really this was my first discus and i bought on impulse. THEN started to do research. go figure right? .. i have had a aquarium for about 3 years and just had mainly small fish but now i want discus.. and i am reading a lot of threads here to get me started. i am starting first to build a acrylic aquarium about 150 to 200 GAL aquarium and have a 55 GAL holding tank (quarantine tank).. Question though: can i use the 55 GAL quarantine tank as a bear bottom needing tank? or should i have a 3rd tank for that?

Skip
11-08-2013, 03:14 PM
i could see why you guys would think i am a fake account ;).. but really this was my first discus and i bought on impulse.

it was just pastry.. nobody else :)

Question though: can i use the 55 GAL quarantine tank as a bear bottom needing tank? or should i have a 3rd tank for that?

what?

nub
11-08-2013, 03:38 PM
breeding* excuse me ..

Skip
11-08-2013, 03:42 PM
55 is good

pastry
11-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Skip, I looked on Facebook but there were too many "Cliches" :p

um.. yea.. thats not me.. i only make up Fake Facebook profiles.. not fake profiles in forums..

besides.. if did.. i other user name would be "CLICHE"..

OC Discus
04-25-2014, 05:43 PM
The fish can probably look better with improved diet and water quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funnyray
04-26-2014, 01:19 PM
pigeon blood Marlboro Red

discuspaul
04-27-2014, 08:52 PM
John, Skip, Pastry - you folks are a real hoot !
Would love to know you in real life. Keep 'em comin'.

kkdiscus
04-28-2014, 09:27 AM
I think the strain is Golden discus. This strain will be really beautiful when grow up.

Try keep the tank clean and clear, with white bottom and background. Hopefully the peppering will go away.