PDA

View Full Version : Few Newbie Questions...

hunterxzach14z
11-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Hi my name is Zachary and this is my first serious attempt growing out discus. i did what many have done before and tried growing them out in a planted tank just to get the results that everyone else got -_- stunted and unhappy.... so anyways now i am doing my real first attempt. i have 60g flat back hex aquarium BB with an Anubias floating around( because i had nowhere to put it) and 14 juvies 2.5-4 inch. was 15 but one passed away on me for unknown reason( he was swimming upsidedown, sideways, just uncontrollable...... :/ maybe stress from the drive to my house or maybe hit the glass idk....... i have had them for about 2-3 weeks or so now. I'm doing daily 30% WC and another 20-30% daily at night. and i do a 60% 2 or 3times a week so far. i feed 4-5times daily Flake, Frozen Brine shrimp, FZ BloodWorms, Live CBW, they arent eatting my pellets, and i am trying to make a beefheart mix this week. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0nitrate, Temp 85F ph 7

My Questions.

1. My runt tends to get black every so often... but will lighten up i saw white poop once but after i did my 60% WC and raised the temp to 90-92 for 3 days it went away its been about 4 days now.... i know i should have asked here first but i havent had the time to get on :/ was what i did okay?

2. 2nd i see them what seems like pecking at my heater what is it that they are doing? this is out of pure curiosity....

3. I see these small worms every now and then they are really small and swim sideways in a S movement... are these bad? if they are what do i need to do to get rid of them?

4. For my water changes i am using a 30 gallon trashcan and 2 5 gallon containers and i heat the trashcan to 85F as well and run a pump on it for 1 hour or so before my water changes.... i try to leave it out for 24 hours before my water changes. i just wanted to know if this is considered aging my water... and how long does water need to be out for it to be aged?

I Guarantee more questions to come SORRY and THANK YOU for any responses.

Zach~

hunterxzach14z
11-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Any other info needed just ask :)

Chicago Discus
11-08-2013, 10:22 PM
1. My runt tends to get black every so often... but will lighten up i saw white poop once but after i did my 60% WC and raised the temp to 90-92 for 3 days it went away its been about 4 days now.... i know i should have asked here first but i havent had the time to get on :/ was what i did okay?

Raising the Temp is ok for certain things but if you see white poop one time and raise your temp for that sounds a little excessive to me. You can raise your temp but with some bacterial infections it can cause more harm then good. Its better to know why your raising the temperature than just start cranking it up. As far as the fish turning black that means something is definitely wrong and causing stress to the fish. I would need more info to properly give you some advise.

2. 2nd i see them what seems like pecking at my heater what is it that they are doing? this is out of pure curiosity....

Nothing looking for a meal probably eating algae try giving them some veggies in there diet

3. I see these small worms every now and then they are really small and swim sideways in a S movement... are these bad? if they are what do i need to do to get rid of them?

Planeria = Harmless just means that you are not doing enough water changes, over feeding or cleaning your filters properly

4. For my water changes i am using a 30 gallon trashcan and 2 5 gallon containers and i heat the trashcan to 85F as well and run a pump on it for 1 hour or so before my water changes.... i try to leave it out for 24 hours before my water changes. i just wanted to know if this is considered aging my water... and how long does water need to be out for it to be aged?

Yes but I would still do more frequent water changes

Josie.......where did you get the discus from and how old are they?

hunterxzach14z
11-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Okay thank you :) and yeah i was thinking about why i raised the temp and i just want to keep them healthy and was a little quick to pull the trigger. I got them from Tony. and they are 3months old for the smallest i believe he said.... may have been 2....honestly i cant remember :/ but thank you for responding :) much appreciated.