PDA

View Full Version : Help me make WCs semi automatic

Discusdude7
11-09-2013, 02:19 PM
I would like to make WCs semi automatic so I can get more tanks. What I mean by semi automatic is to flip a valve to drain the tank, and flip one to fill. Don't want to make it with out any hands on work because that would make keeping discus boring. I will still gravel vac daily. Any idea on how to build this system, or a modified version of it? And if anyone has a WC system like this please tell me how you build it what you needed to build it. Oh and I should add that I age my water...

Thanks

EDIT: one more thing--nothing TOO complicated ;)

Discusdude7
11-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Anyone ?

Discusdude7
11-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Bump...

joanstone
11-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Have you watched the Hans interviews. He shows how his system is set up and some of that info might be useful for you. He is using sumps, but the idea is still relevant.

OC Discus
11-16-2013, 01:43 PM
How many gallons per day are you changing?

Discusdude7
11-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Have you watched the Hans interviews. He shows how his system is set up and some of that info might be useful for you. He is using sumps, but the idea is still relevant.

Yes I have..thanks!

Discusdude7
11-16-2013, 02:19 PM
How many gallons per day are you changing?

Currently only 45 gallons daily. But I'm upgrading tank size from a 55 to a 120 soon and I need a way to make WCs easier. It takes an hour to do a WC currently because my aging barrel is downstairs and tank is upstairs. Thanks

Second Hand Pat
11-16-2013, 02:25 PM
R, is there anyway to change that. What is working against you is pushing water up the stairs. A larger pump might help.

Discusdude7
11-16-2013, 02:34 PM
R, is there anyway to change that. What is working against you is pushing water up the stairs. A larger pump might help.

Thank you. I will be looking for a bigger pump. Any suggestions? My understanding is that I need one with a large max head pressure.
I would like a way to drain/fill the tank too using only valves do I don't need to drag those hoses everywhere.

Second Hand Pat
11-16-2013, 02:37 PM
R, you are thinking about drilling the tank and adding hard plumbing like PVC? I would create a separate thread on the pump as many folks pump water up from a basement.

OC Discus
11-16-2013, 07:21 PM
You probably have a water supply upstairs. Can you dedicate a closet upstairs for your aging barrel and plumb the water supply to it with a on/off float valve. Then plumb from the pump in the barrel through the ceiling and over to your tank? Don in Virginia told me about a wireless switch you plug your pump into. Flip the switch at the tank and the pump comes on. Flip it again and it goes off.

Draining could be routed to the washing machine drain through the ceiling with either vinyl hose or pvc. A separate pump would be needed for draining, but a switch could be installed for that pump also.

You could mount hose connections in the wall behind the tank or near the tank and just use a short piece of vinyl hose.

These are ideas for a home setup, not a fish room. Good luck. Let us know what you come up with.

I use a 27 gallon container that fits under the faucet of my bathtub. I dechlorinate the water in and pump it from the container. Then empty the container, leave the pump and hose in it, close the lid and stand it up in the closet.

Currently only 45 gallons daily. But I'm upgrading tank size from a 55 to a 120 soon and I need a way to make WCs easier. It takes an hour to do a WC currently because my aging barrel is downstairs and tank is upstairs. Thanks

Pwcextreme
12-13-2013, 02:05 AM
Hi,
I just finished my setup and it works perfect! The back story is I just upgraded to a 110 tall, I built an tall cabinet so the discus would be at eye level, so the tank is at 6 feet tall without the canopy, so I needed a better way to do water changes. So I set up 2-40 gallon water storage tanks in my garage ran 2 PVC lines through my walls to my living room. One line for the fill and one for the drain. For the fill, I open a valve run a pump and an easy way to fill your tank, for the drain I have a submersible pump in the tank that hooks to the PVC and goes through the PVC through the wall to a trash can. I have the trash can on wheels, so I wheel the can outside and water my plants and grass!
A note use a lot of quick disconnects and shut off valves.

OC Discus
12-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Congrats. How long does it take now to do wc in the 110?

Hi,
I just finished my setup and it works perfect! The back story is I just upgraded to a 110 tall, I built an tall cabinet so the discus would be at eye level, so the tank is at 6 feet tall without the canopy, so I needed a better way to do water changes. So I set up 2-40 gallon water storage tanks in my garage ran 2 PVC lines through my walls to my living room. One line for the fill and one for the drain. For the fill, I open a valve run a pump and an easy way to fill your tank, for the drain I have a submersible pump in the tank that hooks to the PVC and goes through the PVC through the wall to a trash can. I have the trash can on wheels, so I wheel the can outside and water my plants and grass!
A note use a lot of quick disconnects and shut off valves.

Nick Klimkowski
12-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Congrats. How long does it take now to do wc in the 110?

I am wondering the same thing?

Pwcextreme
12-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Sorry been Christmas shopping.
I can do a 40 gallon change in less than 5 mins. A few mins to take out and a few to put back in .As fast as the 2 pumps can work. Then I roll the 40 gallons out side (about 20ft) and do some watering, if I have time I use the hose and siphone it to the each of the plants if not I installed a 2 inch ball valve on the bottom and I open that sucker up and water the grass!
Merry Christmas

Nick Klimkowski
12-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Sorry been Christmas shopping.
I can do a 40 gallon change in less than 5 mins. A few mins to take out and a few to put back in .As fast as the 2 pumps can work. Then I roll the 40 gallons out side (about 20ft) and do some watering, if I have time I use the hose and siphone it to the each of the plants if not I installed a 2 inch ball valve on the bottom and I open that sucker up and water the grass!
Merry Christmas

That is impresive, hope it continues to work for you.