PDA

View Full Version : Revamped 55 gallon

NAB
11-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Hi guys and gals,

In the last few days we've noticed some small, almost fuzzy white spot or spots on 3 of the discus. Not really sure what it is and so the first thing that came to mind is to eliminate possible causes. We took out all of the neon tetras, glowlight tetras and the cory cats from the 55 and began hauling out all of the gravel. It was pretty nasty despite the fact that we did 50% water changes and gravel vac'd daily. Upon everyhing I have read here, the best way to have a pristine tank for growing out discus is bare bottom, not to mention to avoid problems with their health. These spots are small but I don't think it's ick. I am thinking it is perhaps fungal.

Now we don't want to jump to conclusions and medicate but we don't want to leave something and have it spread either. As far as we can tell, the fish are behaving normal, but we don't know the difference between normal and abnormal this early into our fishkeeping hobby.

We are just hoping that having a much cleaner tank and continuing with the daily 50% water changes will be enough. I don't know if we should hang tight for a few days to see if the WC and their immune systems take care of it or to take some pics and fill out that questionnaire in the other section.

Thoughts? Fill out the questionnaire anyway?

Second Hand Pat
11-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Did the white areas resemble pimples? if so you are on the right track.

NAB
11-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Did the white areas resemble pimples? if so you are on the right track.

Yes they do. It's small and raised and about the size on a pin head. One was on the belly of one of them but now appears gone. One was on the top fin of another and now that one appears gone. I was trying to get a good look at them today and one that didn't have it before has to small spots near his tail and the very first one that had it still has it on his top fin but that looks to be possibly getting smaller. I've seen ick on fish before and although it is also specks, I don't recall them looking slightly fuzzy. That's why I am thinking it is fungal and was due to the tank not being as clean as what they are accustomed to and the stress of a new tank. We've only had them a few weeks and they are still skittish. Not only did we overhaul the inside, we also covered the back and sides of the tank with a blue background. We have seen an immediate impact after doing this. Limiting lights, shadows and movement on those sides give them a better sense of comfort and reduced the reflections so that now when they get spooked they don't ram their heads up against the glass thinking the tank kept going.

Overall they all seem much happier that the tank is now bare bottom and overall the water is much cleaner. I've read enough to know you don't just jump to medicate and that it's all about the cleanliness and water changes, water changes, water changes. I hope that making this a discus-only tank and religiously sticking to the WC regimen is the way to go.

Second Hand Pat
11-11-2013, 10:35 PM
It is, you did good. Generally the pimples are a sign of poor water quality so all the changes you did were perfect. :D
Pat

NAB
11-12-2013, 02:20 PM
It is, you did good. Generally the pimples are a sign of poor water quality so all the changes you did were perfect. :D
Pat

Thanks! Hopefully it all clears up in the next little while.