PDA

View Full Version : Questions around setting up a new 90 gallon Discus aquarium

srobin20
11-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Hi All,

My name is Shane, and I have just recently got in to keeping discus fish. I bought the discus fish not knowing a lot on this particular breed. However, now I have been educating my self by reading all the helpful stickies on this forum. I have a question and would like members to critique my future setup. Thanks

Current setup - 30 gallon :
3 Clown loach, 1 Ram, 4 Boesemani Rainbow, 2 Kuhli loach, 1 pleco
1 red discus (Not sure the type) about 2 inches, 1 solid blue discus (2.25 inches), 1 pigeon blood discus (1 Inch)

Future setup - My plan is to make my tank a discus tank now going forward and I will be getting a 90 gallon tank.
2 canister filters running (Marineland Magnum 350(currently have) and a Rena XP4 to buy)
2 eheim heaters
Thin layer of gravel
My plan was to go fully planted but after reading the sticky I have decided to stick with a few potted plants, while I learn.

Current situation with discuss: The red one was in the tank first and picked on the blue one when I brought it home, however, recently the blue got a lot bolder and they fought it out. The blue one is the boss now and chases the red one now. The small pigeon blood one stays hidden most of the time.

Which option is the best: Option 1
For my new aquarium should I put all of my existing fish in and then buy about 6 more discuss (3 inches)

Option 2: Buy the 6 new discus and put all the fish in at the same time

I would like to alleviate any bullying and would like a peaceful tank

And last please critique my future setup, thanks members

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5THb33oJHEBQWpucXFfSFlOLTQ&usp=sharing

billfromreading
11-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Sounds like a lot of Discus (8 in total) in a relatively small tank. Your filtration is good though. I'll be interested to hear what others (more experienced) members think.

troysdiiscus
11-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Hey shane and welcome. I will give you my thoughts.....
1) No loaches and definately no pleco (unless its a BN or type there of)
2) No gravel. PFS or BB
3) With the size of yours now, I would take everything out of that 30 gallon and just keep your juvies in there. BB and feed 4 to 6 times good diet and grow them out, paint the bottom and sides or if you want to go with adults or sub adults in the 90 gallon is ok and continue to grow out the ones in the 30 gallon. Six is fine in the 90 and then add the juvies when you have grown them out.
4) My concern is the ones you already have. With that size and there conditions in your current tank, may have been stunted. Not sure of your WC schedule and feedings.
May just want to start with adults in your new tank

srobin20
11-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the advice, the gravel is definitely out now and will decide between BB or PFS.

Nick Klimkowski
11-16-2013, 12:43 AM
hi shane welcome to simply, i think you made the right choice to not use any gravel in the tank however if you wanted to have plants in your tank you could always plant them in clay pots. what i would recomend for you is that you go for the bigger tank, i would get rid of the rainbows and i would not put a pleco in the tank other than some of the spices that stay small. i would recomend you up your feeding two 4 times a day, your discus are still very small and need regular feedings as well as regular water changes. i would also consider looking at new discus for your 90 gallon. good luck with them.

-Nick