PDA

View Full Version : Proven Pair in a planted community tank?

Avepico
11-17-2013, 08:42 PM
I am new here and am considering getting discus. I have been reading up on them for a couple months as I work on getting a stronger water change schedule as second nature to me. As I look at my options, it seems like a mated pair do fine without a large group of discus. Would a single pair work in a 75 gallon planted community tank, assuming tank mates are suitable? I have a 75 gallon tank up and running with angelfish, blue rams, black neon tetras, cories, and otos. I would rehome the angels.

I ask because, from my research, I can get a single pair of a size that would be fine in a planted tank for about the same price as a group of smaller fish that I would want to grow out in a bare bottom tank. I would have less "prep" getting fish into the planted tank and have less bio-load which of course would make keeping the water good much easier.

I am not in any hurry to get the fish, the beginning of next year would be the soonest I would get them.

DiscusLoverJeff
11-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Welcome to SD.

If you are not going to breed them then it would be a bad idea.

Discus should be in groups of 5 or more. If you have 2 just because they are a pair, its still just 2. They will not do so good. A breeding pair in a community tank is a waste of time. Get smaller ones, do more water changes and grow them out.

Avepico
11-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Welcome to SD.

If you are not going to breed them then it would be a bad idea.

Discus should be in groups of 5 or more. If you have 2 just because they are a pair, its still just 2. They will not do so good. A breeding pair in a community tank is a waste of time. Get smaller ones, do more water changes and grow them out.

Thank you, that is what I was wondering. At this point I am thinking 3 or 4 inch fish from Discus Hans. A fire red, an alenquer, two blue pigeon bloods, and a blue turquoise. Of course, I have a lot to learn before I actually make the investment and plenty of time to learn it. I am not going to do this on a whim.

timmy82
11-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Your on the right forum and asking the right questions. 3 - 4 " in a group of 5 or so (put a sump filter on to increase the volume and get 7) would be a good start I would give them at least 6 months in their own bb tank with lots of water and good food ( BH mix & FDBW) plus other high protien food available. They should grow nicely and once matured move them to the planted. The normal rule is 10g per discus with good matainance and if you increase the amount of water changed 7 would be fine.

Avepico
11-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Your on the right forum and asking the right questions. 3 - 4 " in a group of 5 or so (put a sump filter on to increase the volume and get 7) would be a good start I would give them at least 6 months in their own bb tank with lots of water and good food ( BH mix & FDBW) plus other high protien food available. They should grow nicely and once matured move them to the planted. The normal rule is 10g per discus with good matainance and if you increase the amount of water changed 7 would be fine.

I have been debating rebuilding my stand with a 50-75 gallon sump built in. It is just lumber and cinder blocks now. Doing WC's at the sump would make matching temps less important. I already age my water in a drum with heaters so it is pretty close. Drilling is not an option, and I hate the look of PVC overflows. I keep eyeing some HOB overflows.

My experience keeping fancy goldfish has taught me so much. They require more care and attention than my current community tank and I think that will carry through with discus.

wild4discus
11-18-2013, 08:05 PM
I agree with you on the HOB overflows as you can put them where ever you want and drilled tanks pose more potential for water leakage. I use 2 canisters and an aquaclear 110 on my 125 gallon planted discus community tank, just my preference for easy maintenance and customization. Good choice in getting discus from Hans, his are great qualiy. And just my 2¢, get rid of those ottos. They can be problematic with discus by aquiring a taste for discus slime coat.

YSS
11-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Proven pair in a 75G planted community tank would be absolutely fine if that's your preference.

chaoslite
11-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Proven pair in a 75G planted community tank would be absolutely fine if that's your preference.

+1

Mishka

Avepico
11-18-2013, 09:45 PM
I agree with you on the HOB overflows as you can put them where ever you want and drilled tanks pose more potential for water leakage. I use 2 canisters and an aquaclear 110 on my 125 gallon planted discus community tank, just my preference for easy maintenance and customization. Good choice in getting discus from Hans, his are great qualiy. And just my 2¢, get rid of those ottos. They can be problematic with discus by aquiring a taste for discus slime coat.

I just got rid of my HOB filters, they were pushing my sand around too much. I have sponge filters right now and am debating refitting my fluval 405 with a spraybar.

I have heard about plecos liking to suck on slime coat, but not it being an issue with otos. They are becoming less necessary for algae as I become better about WC's and photoperiods. I will have to investigate more.

I see some disagreement over the pair versus a group. My primary concern is the happiness and health of the fish. Fish that are not stressed (being in a big enough group in this case)are going to be healthier. Does being a mated pair reduce the need for a group?

pastry
11-19-2013, 02:19 PM
+2

+1

Mishka

Mgardner
11-19-2013, 11:28 PM
I see some disagreement over the pair versus a group. My primary concern is the happiness and health of the fish. Fish that are not stressed (being in a big enough group in this case)are going to be healthier. Does being a mated pair reduce the need for a group?

You probably won't get a consensus here. Mated pairs are ok by themselves, as they are isolated into breeder tanks. However, if you aren't breeding them and raising fry, you may want a group of 5-6 in the tank instead. Pairs can get aggressive when they're breeding about the space the eggs are in and can harass other fish. You'll need to be aware of temps in the tank, too. My brother just lost some dither fish when he raised his temps to treat ich. Not all fish tolerate >82 deg for prolonged periods of time.

YSS
11-20-2013, 08:29 AM
My primary concern is the happiness and health of the fish. Fish that are not stressed (being in a big enough group in this case)are going to be healthier. Does being a mated pair reduce the need for a group?

If so, then you should get a bigger tank and a dozen of discus.

pastry
11-20-2013, 10:37 AM
More than likely a pair will leave all the other fish alone. They'd probably mess with the angles due to similarity in size & nature but the tetras, rams, corys, otos, etc, won't be harassed much. I think it's a great idea as long as the pair isn't dysfunctional (like one beats the hell out of the other at times) then it'll be great for a display tank and great for the pair.

Avepico
11-21-2013, 05:18 PM
If so, then you should get a bigger tank and a dozen of discus.

I'm hoping to have a 150 by the end of next summer. The question will be where to put it. I would love to have something like your 256 gallon. I keep scouring Craigslist for decent deals.

YSS
11-21-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm hoping to have a 150 by the end of next summer. The question will be where to put it. I would love to have something like your 256 gallon. I keep scouring Craigslist for decent deals.

That would be a nice discus tank. Good luck finding what you are looking for.