PDA

View Full Version : How to keep discus in a small apartment!

Tvd/Tlc
11-18-2013, 11:31 PM
We live in a pretty small apartment and still managed to make room for our fish! We have 3-29 gal, 4-50 gal longs and we still have room to move around lol. We love our little set up,this way we get to see all the tanks from where we sit. We currently have a proven pair of Pigeon SS, a pair of Fire Reds, two female SS Reds all from Hans which we drove a few weeks ago to pick up 16 hr drive there and back we also have a breeding pair of Flowerhorns. Here are a few pics of our fish tanks and stuff . We are buying a house next year that's when we can really have all the fish we want but this will do for now! So if you live like us in small apartment or condo please share your pics.

Terri:) & Terry

Our living room with our 29gal breeding tanks!
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/tvd_tlc/image_zps16407bc7.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/tvd_tlc/media/image_zps16407bc7.jpg.html)

Our dining room with our 50 gal grow out tanks!
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/tvd_tlc/image_zps81338697.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/tvd_tlc/media/image_zps81338697.jpg.html)

Our spare room with our water storage!
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/tvd_tlc/image_zpsf91c563b.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/tvd_tlc/media/image_zpsf91c563b.jpg.html)

Our portable RO unit!
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/tvd_tlc/image_zps4a283902.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/tvd_tlc/media/image_zps4a283902.jpg.html)

Kal-El
11-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Why not use the Spare room as the fish room? I live in a small two bedroom apartment and I use my spare second room as my fish room. Everything is plumb to drain to the tub... My fishroom thread (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103584-My-new-small-Fish-Room&highlight=). My setup as change a bit since since I added more tanks and move things around... Main tanks in the picks still remains in the same location... Anyway... Love the living room...

Tvd/Tlc
11-18-2013, 11:45 PM
We thought about that but we really liked the idea of relaxing while watching TV and be able to see all the fish tanks too. I spend more time watching the Discus then I do the TV. Lolololol

Terry.

Second Hand Pat
11-18-2013, 11:50 PM
I love my tanks in my living spaces too. Wait until you two move into a house. The tanks will explode in number I bet. :)

Sumo Boy 5
11-18-2013, 11:51 PM
That's really awesome!

Tvd/Tlc
11-19-2013, 12:30 AM
I love my tanks in my living spaces too. Wait until you two move into a house. The tanks will explode in number I bet. :)

Being able to see the fish is the only way we would have it we sit here most nights no other lights on but the tanks and it's awesome! And you are right we are already planning what we want to buy for a house to fit our huge fish room we will be building with a big comfy couch right in the middle of everything lol nothing better then relaxing after a long days working enjoying our fish!

Terri :)

Tvd/Tlc
11-19-2013, 12:32 AM
That's really awesome!

Thanks we really enjoy it

Terri:)

mattyb
11-19-2013, 01:00 AM
My wife would kill me if I did this lol

Gene
11-19-2013, 02:16 AM
Congrats on having such an understanding lady!

Gixxert
11-19-2013, 08:42 AM
The funny part. This is my girlfriends thread. We are both on Simply. She loves fish specifically Discus as much as I do. It sure doesn't take much convincing when I want to get mor tanks or fish.

Terry.

Gixxert
11-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Just to clarify for everyone. I am Gixxert (Terry) and Tvd/Tlc is my girlfreind also named Terri. So no matter which one of us starts a thread we both answer questions. lol. how confusing is that?
We both try to remember to put our names at the bottom of each post so everyone knows who is answering but with the same name it's still a little hard. LOLOL

Terry.

Second Hand Pat
11-19-2013, 09:32 AM
It's all good. Your usernames are quite unique. Must be fun being called by friends or family with the same name. :D

Disgirl
11-19-2013, 09:43 AM
I agree with putting tanks in the living spaces. I have my big one in the living room and my other 3 in our dining room. Also 3 small tanks in my sewing/plant room. And our koi pond is right next to our back porch. I want to see and be near my fish wherever I am in our house. Liz has moved her bed right into her fish room recently.
Barb

mattyb
11-19-2013, 10:21 AM
As much as I would love to put my tanks in a living area I hate the idea of having a tank on carpet, all my tanks are on tiles so of I do make a mess I don't have to worry about mold or anything. All my tanks are in my games room which everyone walks through and sees the tanks anyway :) even tho I have a pool table in same room which yes was very brave of me lol but no accidents yet :) plus I didn't have much room for a 225g tank any where else

MY MAN CAVE

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w591/mattyb321/20131101_213145_zps73048f85.jpg

Gixxert
11-19-2013, 10:34 AM
It's all good. Your usernames are quite unique. Must be fun being called by friends or family with the same name. :D

Sure is, I would say 95% of the time if someone calls out Terry we both say what. LOL

Gixxert
11-19-2013, 10:36 AM
I agree with putting tanks in the living spaces. I have my big one in the living room and my other 3 in our dining room. Also 3 small tanks in my sewing/plant room. And our koi pond is right next to our back porch. I want to see and be near my fish wherever I am in our house. Liz has moved her bed right into her fish room recently.
Barb

For sure Barb, Thats exactly how we feel. Next year we are buying a house and we have already discussed our fish room and how it will require a TV and a couch.

Terry.

Gixxert
11-19-2013, 10:41 AM
As much as I would love to put my tanks in a living area I hate the idea of having a tank on carpet, all my tanks are on tiles so of I do make a mess I don't have to worry about mold or anything. All my tanks are in my games room which everyone walks through and sees the tanks anyway :) even tho I have a pool table in same room which yes was very brave of me lol but no accidents yet :) plus I didn't have much room for a 225g tank any where else

MY MAN CAVE

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w591/mattyb321/20131101_213145_zps73048f85.jpg

Awesome man cave! I hear what you are saying. We will move our fishroom into our basement or garage when we buy our house but we will also move with them. Lolol. We will have it set up so we are comfortable in the fishroom as well.

Terry.

banks2
11-19-2013, 11:05 AM
They all look great..
Dave

Tazalanche
11-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Just to clarify for everyone. I am Gixxert (Terry) and Tvd/Tlc is my girlfreind also named Terri. So no matter which one of us starts a thread we both answer questions. lol. how confusing is that?
We both try to remember to put our names at the bottom of each post so everyone knows who is answering but with the same name it's still a little hard. LOLOL

Terry.What about putting your first name in your signature? Then you won't have to worry about trying to remember, because it's already there. ;)

Gixxert
11-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Well now that you say it seems like the smart thing to do. At least someone is thinking. Lol

Thanks.

Phillydubs
11-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Small Apt. With a spare room, that doesn't qualify you as small!! Hahah... Try it in a studio Apt. in Manhattan. That is what I had to deal with for the last 5 years or so... A 72 Gallon bow front and a 55 gallon in about 600 sq feet. Hey, you have to do what you have to do right? Wife, 2 dogs, 2 tanks... = HAPPY ME!!

Great set up Terry/i Squared... Talk about maximizing space for what you love... I agree, kind of hard to watch TV or a ball game with all those amazing fish swimming by you... Which one do you choose to pay attention to?Hahah...

I am closing on my house Thursday and I can not wait... I am already deciding which wall to tear down for a between room tank, would love to go with something huge like 250-300 gallons... We will see... big dreams here... I like you have a very understanding and supportive lady who loves the fish as well, so that makes the convincing part a non-issue...

If I can dig up any pics of my tanks in the NYC apt I will post...

Best of luck with all those Hans pairs... I live in NY and haven't made the trip, so major props to you both for the excursion... I need to go one of these days...

Phillydubs

Elliots
11-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Furniture is often over rated. Get rid of furniture and replace it with tanks. I got rid of my unused dining table for a 150 gal.

Rudustin
11-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Terry and Terri, Love the set up and once I get home from my biz trip I will take some pics of my tanks. I also live in a condo apartment on the tenth floor. More furniture has left my apartment in the last several months to make room for more tanks. I have 1400 sq.ft.. The 125g show tank is in the living room which is quite spacious but with two eight foot tall stainless steel Macaw cages it is not crowded but certainly a bit of a squeeze. The bedroom has four tanks in it because at night that is where I want to watch my Discus do their discus thing! Bedroom had a 55g, 2/20 gallon longs and a 65g. One water aging container in an alcove in the living room and another one in the bedroom. I'm thinking another fifty or sixty-five could fit in the dining room easily. LOL! Will take pics when I get home and send them to you both. Take care. Rufus

Gixxert
11-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Small Apt. With a spare room, that doesn't qualify you as small!! Hahah... Try it in a studio Apt. in Manhattan. That is what I had to deal with for the last 5 years or so... A 72 Gallon bow front and a 55 gallon in about 600 sq feet. Hey, you have to do what you have to do right? Wife, 2 dogs, 2 tanks... = HAPPY ME!!

Great set up Terry/i Squared... Talk about maximizing space for what you love... I agree, kind of hard to watch TV or a ball game with all those amazing fish swimming by you... Which one do you choose to pay attention to?Hahah...

I am closing on my house Thursday and I can not wait... I am already deciding which wall to tear down for a between room tank, would love to go with something huge like 250-300 gallons... We will see... big dreams here... I like you have a very understanding and supportive lady who loves the fish as well, so that makes the convincing part a non-issue...

If I can dig up any pics of my tanks in the NYC apt I will post...

Best of luck with all those Hans pairs... I live in NY and haven't made the trip, so major props to you both for the excursion... I need to go one of these days...

Phillydubs

Hey Phillydubs, you really have to make the trip to see Hans fish house. I am telling you that you won't regret it.

Must be exciting to be moving into your own home with the endless possibilities that come along with it. Terri and I are just biding our time and doing what we can to hold us over until we can really stretch our legs and set for the plans we have been talking about.

Please keep us posted on you new home and your soon to come fish room:)

Gixxert
11-20-2013, 08:14 AM
Furniture is often over rated. Get rid of furniture and replace it with tanks. I got rid of my unused dining table for a 150 gal.
we also got rid of our dining room table to add more fish tanks. If you aren't sitting on it you really don't need it. lolol

Gixxert
11-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Terry and Terri, Love the set up and once I get home from my biz trip I will take some pics of my tanks. I also live in a condo apartment on the tenth floor. More furniture has left my apartment in the last several months to make room for more tanks. I have 1400 sq.ft.. The 125g show tank is in the living room which is quite spacious but with two eight foot tall stainless steel Macaw cages it is not crowded but certainly a bit of a squeeze. The bedroom has four tanks in it because at night that is where I want to watch my Discus do their discus thing! Bedroom had a 55g, 2/20 gallon longs and a 65g. One water aging container in an alcove in the living room and another one in the bedroom. I'm thinking another fifty or sixty-five could fit in the dining room easily. LOL! Will take pics when I get home and send them to you both. Take care. Rufus
Rufus, can't wait to see your setup. Sounds like you have alot going on. Business trip, holiday, Macaw's and fish. You must not sit around much.

Hope you are having a great trip

Rudustin
11-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Terry and Terri, I am a busy guy! It's good for me because I can get very bored very easily! Sitting would mean I would need furniture! Like you said if "you're not sitting on it you really don't need it!" Yes, I have a lot going on. Post you on Monday night and best regards. Rufus

Elliots
11-20-2013, 12:48 PM
I knew I liked you people!!!

banks2
11-20-2013, 01:29 PM
They are kinda funny aren't they!!!!!

Tvd/Tlc
11-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Terry and Terri, I am a busy guy! It's good for me because I can get very bored very easily! Sitting would mean I would need furniture! Like you said if "you're not sitting on it you really don't need it!" Yes, I have a lot going on. Post you on Monday night and best regards. Rufus

Hope work is going well! Llike you we are always busy we work everyday hit the gym right after then what ever running around we have to do before getting home then its dinner, water changes and sit and enjoy the fish check simply then bed lololol and thats just monday to friday the weekends are non stop lolol

Gixxert
11-20-2013, 04:23 PM
I knew I liked you people!!!
We like you too Elliots!!!

Gixxert
11-20-2013, 04:24 PM
They are kinda funny aren't they!!!!!

Funny? This is our lives! lolol. JK thanks

Rudustin
11-20-2013, 05:39 PM
We are crazy!!! Crazy fun!

Gixxert
11-20-2013, 09:50 PM
You got that right Rufus :p

sheaspina
11-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Looks great! I also can't wait to get out of the apartment. Wife's got me cramming the breeding jerryrig in the spare room b/c she's paranoid the landlord will kick us out if they see it lol.

Allwin
11-20-2013, 11:59 PM
lol, even my small apartment is filled with 5 tanks,aging barrel... But, relocating in a week and a small fish room will be in progress by next week. People started accepting our craziness though :)

Gixxert
11-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Looks great! I also can't wait to get out of the apartment. Wife's got me cramming the breeding jerryrig in the spare room b/c she's paranoid the landlord will kick us out if they see it lol.
Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean. We have talked about the same thing. If the Landlord only knew. lol. We sneak all our tanks and stands in at night not to tip anyone off. That's to funny!!

lol, even my small apartment is filled with 5 tanks,aging barrel... But, relocating in a week and a small fish room will be in progress by next week. People started accepting our craziness though :)
Luckyyyyy, I sure hope you are going to update us with some pics of you new fish room.

Tvd/Tlc
11-21-2013, 09:03 AM
No where in any lease did I ever read no fish tanks lolololololol it said yes to pets!!!!:fish::fish::fish::fish:

BODYDUB
11-21-2013, 11:17 AM

I love the stand and canopy on the tank to the right................

Rudustin
11-21-2013, 12:34 PM
When I moved into my condo many years ago the condo docs said "no dogs allowed" birds and fish allowed! No one ever said anything about the size or number of tanks or how big or small the birds had to be! Now we can have dogs of a certain size and of course my two Macaws are bigger than most birds and five tanks of fish plus aging water barrels are legal!!!Ha!

Tvd/Tlc
11-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Rufus you have your hands full of fun like us !!Terry emailed Hans letting him know we are looking for 2 more males to go with our SS reds we are now making room to set up another 29gal for a pair and the women that I am I hate clutter and everything has to match lol and Terry has done a beauitful job setting everything up so perfect for us, he built all of our stands at his shop, did the plumbing awesome making water changes easy for us I am almost a pro now!!!!! Still waiting on our proven pair to show us some action they do alot of teasing lolol we think they are getting ready then nothing lol I am sure we will come home to a nice surprise one day.

Rudustin
11-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Terri/Terry, I think it is wonderful to meet even by internet people who feel the same way! Like I said in previous posts, I have flooded two rooms forgetting that I was filling aging barrels and of course the neighbors down the ten flights in the building haven't complained other than to say there is water coming on to their balconies and it isn't raining! LOL! I took all the carpeting out of the apartment when I moved in and have concrete floors that I paint. When I am bored with the color or they get faded I just repaint. Luckily my apartment is fish, cat and bird friendly and only scatter rugs which can be placed outside when wet and dry. I understand you wanting to set up another tank for the possibility of your proven pair to do something. They will when you least expect it! I'm on the search too for my checkerboards. When I left on my trip they were already shimmying again so I won't be surprised if they have another batch of eggs when I return. I wish I could find someone like Terry to do the plumbing thing for my water changes. I was thinking of calling in a plumber but they cost so much. I'm sure there is a way to do the water change thing more efficiently but I'm not good with that sort of thing. Well, keep in touch. Take care. Rufus

DO4L
11-23-2013, 06:00 PM
I can empathize with the small apartment and the number of tanks!

Best of Luck!

astrochick00
11-25-2013, 12:06 AM
**Guilty Admission**
After reading your last post, Rufus, I bolted for the kitchen to turn off the RO unit before my container overflowed (it would have been the second time today)! Great timing on that post, you saved me a big hassle….and did it three days in advance. That's gotta be a record of some sort.

Rudustin
11-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Astrochick, Wow! So glad I posted just at that time! Great that I helped unintentionally. I find that I must not multi task when I am filling tanks or containers because I lose sight of time and what I'm doing and then the flood happens. Tonight is container filling because it is water change day for six tanks tomorrow and I will stay right there at the containers and not leave it's side. LOL! I have had numerous accidents with water. My fault for not paying attention! Best regards. Rufus

Trier20
11-25-2013, 12:54 AM
**Guilty Admission**
After reading your last post, Rufus, I bolted for the kitchen to turn off the RO unit before my container overflowed (it would have been the second time today)! Great timing on that post, you saved me a big hassle….and did it three days in advance. That's gotta be a record of some sort.

You need to call Jehmco and get a float valve. Less than $20. It's a good investment and easy install

Gixxert
11-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Terri/Terry, I think it is wonderful to meet even by internet people who feel the same way! Like I said in previous posts, I have flooded two rooms forgetting that I was filling aging barrels and of course the neighbors down the ten flights in the building haven't complained other than to say there is water coming on to their balconies and it isn't raining! LOL! I took all the carpeting out of the apartment when I moved in and have concrete floors that I paint. When I am bored with the color or they get faded I just repaint. Luckily my apartment is fish, cat and bird friendly and only scatter rugs which can be placed outside when wet and dry. I understand you wanting to set up another tank for the possibility of your proven pair to do something. They will when you least expect it! I'm on the search too for my checkerboards. When I left on my trip they were already shimmying again so I won't be surprised if they have another batch of eggs when I return. I wish I could find someone like Terry to do the plumbing thing for my water changes. I was thinking of calling in a plumber but they cost so much. I'm sure there is a way to do the water change thing more efficiently but I'm not good with that sort of thing. Well, keep in touch. Take care. Rufus

Hey Rufus, Now that's a man who loves his fish. Tear your carpets up for easy water clean up. lol. Float valves are very handy when you have water storage tanks. I have water float valves as well as electric soleniod switches with floats. I figure you can never be to safe. Forget for a few hours and that can mean hundreds of gallons on the floor. I have drilled all our Tanks so our water changes consist of plugging in one hose open the drian then plug in a nother hose and plug in the pump. Pretty simple settup. Take care.

Allwin
11-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Hmm, used to think about the float valve whenever i flood the floor. Its time to implement i believe!!! :)

Rudustin
11-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Hi all, well should I just check with various threads on the forum to explain a float valve or does someone what to explain it on this thread. Just let me know. I'm doing water changes shortly and just don't distract me while I'm doing it. Filled the containers last night at about midnight and didn't spill a drop but of course the day is young while I do these water changes. LOL! Rufus

Rudustin
11-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Never mind! I went online and saw what a float valve is. There are many versions. I only have one tank that is sump all the others are HOB filters and I fill those from my containers with submersible pumps which act as a draining mechanism and I have a submersible pump in each of my containers that pump water into the tanks. The issue I have all the time is not filling the various tanks because my containers are fifty gallons each and if any of the tanks are short of water I manually fill them with water directly from the tap. My containers are rain collection barrels so I'm not sure how the float valves would work in these two containers. Rufus

Rudustin
11-25-2013, 04:24 PM
My answer to the flooding problem is to pay attention to the refilling of the containers and not be distracted. That I think is the ultimate remedy for me at this point until I get someone in here to figure out a proper system that won't impact the esthetic of my home and that of course will be expensive but of course anything for my Discus! Rufus

Tvd/Tlc
11-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi all, well should I just check with various threads on the forum to explain a float valve or does someone what to explain it on this thread. Just let me know. I'm doing water changes shortly and just don't distract me while I'm doing it. Filled the containers last night at about midnight and didn't spill a drop but of course the day is young while I do these water changes. LOL! Rufus

Welcome back to discus world with water changes lol So how are all the fish doing? I need Terry to put a float vale on my water jugs for our drinking water lol I am standing in the kitchen making dinner last night and 2 feet away from me is the RO unit I have the jug under it filling with water and until I took a step and to my surprise stepping into water my jug filled and I was so busy never even noticed lololol I guess that is why Terry keeps a very close eye on me when I am helping with water changes I can't even remember to remember the water I am filling in the same room so that was a little mess to clean up! I am terrible anyway always doing 5 things at once thinking I will get done faster but when I make the mess ends up taking me longer so no futher ahead lololol I need to focus on one thing and just do that! So today at work I have our 2 50gal tanks and a 29 gal with me so I can paint them so we can do some moving around then bring the rest in to paint then they will be all ready if we ever get fry! Don't forget to post pics when you get time take care

Rudustin
11-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi, Well good to hear from you. Yes, I know what you mean. That is what happens to me also. I have to stay focused and not do ten things at one time!!! I have actually invested in a fifteen gallon Wet Vac from HomeDepot because I have flooded so many times. The last time I caught it in time didn't panic and plugged in the wet vac and had everything cleaned up in minutes. The best investment I've made is that wet vac. Has save me more time than I can count. LOL! I will post pics when I get back from my cruise and may even post some from Bora Bora. So how many tanks will you have now. We are insane aren't we! I am thinking that another 55 gallon would be great either in the living room or the bedroom already. I have so many juvies that are growing up and they need space to grow. I hope you get some fry while I'm away and that I arrive back to you both telling me you have wrigglers. Especially those Fire Reds. I check out the float valve thing but like I said I just have to concentrate on one thing only!! Take care and will keep in touch. Rufus

Gixxert
11-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi, Well good to hear from you. Yes, I know what you mean. That is what happens to me also. I have to stay focused and not do ten things at one time!!! I have actually invested in a fifteen gallon Wet Vac from HomeDepot because I have flooded so many times. The last time I caught it in time didn't panic and plugged in the wet vac and had everything cleaned up in minutes. The best investment I've made is that wet vac. Has save me more time than I can count. LOL! I will post pics when I get back from my cruise and may even post some from Bora Bora. So how many tanks will you have now. We are insane aren't we! I am thinking that another 55 gallon would be great either in the living room or the bedroom already. I have so many juvies that are growing up and they need space to grow. I hope you get some fry while I'm away and that I arrive back to you both telling me you have wrigglers. Especially those Fire Reds. I check out the float valve thing but like I said I just have to concentrate on one thing only!! Take care and will keep in touch. Rufus

The wet vac is a great idea. Terri does most of her cleanup with towels. lol. We have 9 tanks right now. We have 4-29 Gallon Breeders, 4-50 Gallon long growout tanks and anothe 50 gallon that will remain unsettup until we need it. Can't wait to see the pics of you new addition. I think an another 55 Gallon is a great idea. lol. You can never have enough. I have had fish for over 30 years so concentration isn't a real problem during water changes. I stay on top of what I am doing all the time but you are right concentration is the key.

Tvd/Tlc
11-27-2013, 08:30 PM
It's been almost 3 weeks since we got our fish home and we know now 100% what the sex of each fish is! We bought six and have 5 females lolololol . SS reds are females and the Fire reds are females and nothing stops them we are on batch number 8 of eggs between the 4. Still nothing from our proven pair.

Terri:):) Happy Thanksgiving

Rudustin
11-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi, I am in TAHITI!!! Went to a pearl farm today. Amazing how they do this. But enough about me. You have a lot of tanks! I can't believe that you have that many females!!! That is a hoot. Does Hans know? We should be singing "It's Raining Men," or please let it rain. Well Hans has his work cut out for himself on trying to find us some male discus. I don't know what sex my Blue Diamonds are. They haven't shown any breeding behavior at all but they are always together no matter what. My checkerboards of course just keep laying but both are females as well. And of course your proven pair continues to defy the "proven' part! My phone died today so I wasn't able to take photos of where I am but will do tomorrow and post some pictures. Tahiti is exactly the way I imagined. I got burned a little today so won't be out tomorrow on the beach but have rented a car and driver to take us around the entire circumference of the Island tomorrow starting at nine. Take care and keep in touch. Happy Thanksgiving. Rufus

Tvd/Tlc
12-12-2013, 11:30 PM
So we did abit of switching around with the females and took the stendker pigeon SS female out and put in a stendker fire red last week. We are on our second batch of eggs.By morning we should know if we picked the male of the two. They laid last evening and the eggs aren't white yet so we will know if the job was done and if not we may give them a few more tries to be sure. He made the passes after the female but he sure wasn't in any rush lolololol
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/tvd_tlc/image_zpsb86cada2.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/tvd_tlc/media/image_zpsb86cada2.jpg.html)

Tvd/Tlc
12-12-2013, 11:34 PM
We moved all the unpaired females to their own tank and they get along great !

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/tvd_tlc/image_zpseb31eaf7.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/tvd_tlc/media/image_zpseb31eaf7.jpg.html)

Nick Klimkowski
12-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Good luck with the breeding Terri, love the pigeon SS.

Tvd/Tlc
12-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Thanks Nick we are enjoying all the new fish and if and when we get babies it will be a new experience for us the pairs are still young so we have lots of time !

Nick Klimkowski
12-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Water quality and patience are to of the most important things with breeding...lol. Hope it they continue to do well.

krislewis3
12-13-2013, 12:45 PM
I love it!!!

Tvd/Tlc
12-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Today we have some really dark eggs so looks like we may have picked out the male of the pigeon SS it was a small batch of eggs . This time was just to determine if we have a pair so we will see what happens if this batch makes it .
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/tvd_tlc/image_zps671f3f2a.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/tvd_tlc/media/image_zps671f3f2a.jpg.html)

Rudustin
12-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi there. Well haven't hear any world about your pair. How are they? Wrigglers or no? Rufus

Gixxert
12-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Hey Rufus, How are you?

Yes we sure did get wigglers. She layed maybe 150 eggs. He fertalized between 20-30 and we got 13 wigglers lolol. Oh and then they ate them over the next 24 hours. Not a great hatch rate but it's a start. We know they are very young so I m sure they will get it in time. How are you Discus doing? Have you had any eggs lately? Any new pics of them?

Tvd/Tlc
12-18-2013, 04:21 PM
our two pairs have eggs now since monday sometime while we were at work and one batch has some dark eggs but again a very small batch so we don't expect anything from that and the other pair being a ss red female and male leopard the eggs from the ss red are such a dark orange it is very hard to tell if they are fertlized well they aren't white is all i call tell where as the fire red female's eggs are a off white and they are super easy to tell if they turn dark. we should know if we have wigglers when we get home I guess if they didn't eat them again