PDA

View Full Version : ph swings

clusty
11-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Hey,

I just received my 3.5" younglings after a long wait. Since my water has a ph of 8, I have no choice but to lower it with buffer up until 7 (the grower's conditions). However after every water change there is a ph swing of about 0.1-0.2 due to buffering, etc. I do not have a big enough container to prepare the water beforehand.

How bad is this for my discus ?

Madaboutdiscus
11-20-2013, 07:16 PM
The ph fluctuations are very bad for them. They need a consistant ph. No need to buffer the ph they will do fine at 8. Just gradually change it back so its stable ph at 8 and theyll be fine.

-Victoria

clusty
11-20-2013, 07:19 PM
The ph fluctuations are very bad for them. They need a consistant ph. No need to buffer the ph they will do fine at 8. Just gradually change it back so its stable ph at 8 and theyll be fine.

-Victoria
Thanks. so next water changes will be with unbuffered water so should take about 2 weeks.

Mgardner
11-20-2013, 10:33 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you can plop and drop into a higher but not lower pH. You want stability. Domestic discus can tolerate a pretty wide range of ph as long as its consistent. Mine hovers around 7.6 which is why I age my water. However I've sen parameters around 5 thrown around.

100fuegos
11-21-2013, 08:38 AM
No need to mess with water chemistry, mine have thrived in 8.2 PH since they were a month old. Constant numbers is all they need.

BODYDUB
11-21-2013, 11:15 AM
I agree on not trying to obtain the "perfect" PH unless your breeding. I've heard it before and I'll hear it again, a stable PH is a good PH..............

clusty
11-21-2013, 12:09 PM
I was messing with the PH since I am trying to breed a bunch of apistogramma, and thought, I might as well do it in all aquariums :)
Seems it was a bad idea :)

Skip
11-21-2013, 01:49 PM
I was messing with the PH since I am trying to breed a bunch of apistogramma, and thought, I might as well do it in all aquariums :)
Seems it was a bad idea :)

next water change.. no buffer.. time: 1 day