PDA

View Full Version : Duckweed

Jbarnes
11-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm just starting out in this planted tank adventure. I've got a 400 gallon setup with a 200 gallon display tank, 100 gallon fuge and 100 gallon sump. Everything is automated via a APEX. My display tank has swords and few other bunch type plants (name escapes me at the moment), 30 cardinals, a few cats, snails etc. along with 18 discus. Tank has been up for about 4 months now. My problem is that I have duckweed. The damn stuff covers the top of my display tank about every three weeks requiring me to fish it out with a net. Anyway to get rid of the duckweed without killing off the rest of the plants? Jerry.

lipadj46
11-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Unfortunately duckweed is like herpes. Its with you for life lol!

Skip
11-22-2013, 04:51 PM
i saw a great video where i guy used a SHOP VAC Wet/Dry.. it worked AWESOME!!

DiscusLoverJeff
11-22-2013, 04:53 PM
I just ran my fish net and scooped up as much as I could each day until it was gone. Took a very long time.

Skip
11-22-2013, 05:24 PM
ps.. shop vac does not go INTO the water.. just stays a little above the surface as needed to get the duckweek to get suck up

Frankr409
11-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm just starting out in this planted tank adventure. I've got a 400 gallon setup with a 200 gallon display tank, 100 gallon fuge and 100 gallon sump. Everything is automated via a APEX. My display tank has swords and few other bunch type plants (name escapes me at the moment), 30 cardinals, a few cats, snails etc. along with 18 discus. Tank has been up for about 4 months now. My problem is that I have duckweed. The damn stuff covers the top of my display tank about every three weeks requiring me to fish it out with a net. Anyway to get rid of the duckweed without killing off the rest of the plants? Jerry.. What do you have planned for the refugium?

Jbarnes
11-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the update guys. Guess I'll just keep scooping. The refugium has my lilies from my pond. Seem to grow real good so I guess it works! Appreciate the help. Jerry.