PDA

View Full Version : Catching the dithers

Redmelons
11-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Hi everyone
I just have a question about catching and removing the dither fish in my tank , i have taken the advice of simply discus and removed all of the gravel and 10 angel fish,plants and most of the driftwood from my tank i left a small piece of wood and anubius and i am having a go at growing my discus correctly they were only in this planted set up for 2 weeks so hopefully haven't done any long lasting damage to them . I have 10 black phantom tetras in the tank that i want to remove , i am going to leave the 6 corydoras i have and the small school of black neons in . just wondering how i go about catching the black phantoms the tank is large for a grow out and they are fast !! should i try a small trap of just scare three shades of life out of the discus trying to net them.

DiscusLoverJeff
11-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Patients grasshopper and a big net. You can slowing move the net and gather them in a corner and scoop them out.

Redmelons
11-23-2013, 08:32 AM
ha ha you have worked out my impatient streak .

Skip
11-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Lower water level

Madaboutdiscus
11-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Patients grasshopper and a big net. You can slowing move the net and gather them in a corner and scoop them out.

+1 this is the best way to catch discus too. It doesnt scare them nearly as bad. Mine werent going for the bowl technique that did scare the bajeezus out of them.

-Victoria

Tazalanche
11-23-2013, 12:16 PM
The next time you're doing a water change, stop before refilling, slowly catch them in the ways described above, then refill after the dithers are caught.

Good luck!

JoseRivera
11-23-2013, 01:29 PM
When the lights are off turn a small light on, to where u can just see them, or use moon light and catch them when they can't see you.

dkeef
11-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Im gonna be doing this next weekend.
Boy is it gonna be fun...
Also got dozen dithers.
Im gonna take all discus out first to holding tank then pull out all driftwoods, rocks and plants.
Lower water to 1-2" above gravel. Then catch em. Hopefully it wont be too painful.
Going with pfs.

ktltn04
11-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Im gonna be doing this next weekend.
Boy is it gonna be fun...
Also got dozen dithers.
Im gonna take all discus out first to holding tank then pull out all driftwoods, rocks and plants.
Lower water to 1-2" above gravel. Then catch em. Hopefully it wont be too painful.
Going with pfs.

You can jump in the tank and catch them lol

BODYDUB
11-24-2013, 08:17 PM
The next time you're doing a water change, stop before refilling, slowly catch them in the ways described above, then refill after the dithers are caught.

Good luck!

Exactly what I was gonna say............

ericatdallas
11-24-2013, 10:24 PM
I use two nets...

One for chasing and one for catching.