PDA

View Full Version : Can fish and plants transfer?

ShrimpGuy
11-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi,

I currently have a tank with a pair of German Blue Rams, an Angel fish and an Albino Cory Cat. I also have a crypt (not sure what kind) and 2 amazon swords plants and driftwood that I'd like to move into a much bigger tank (a new tank) that is completing it's cycle. This will eventually be my new discus tank.

=Can I use the mature bag of bio balls I have in my old tank and transfer it to the new filter box? Do I have to worry about contamination?

=Can I also move over the fish? I plan to give the angel away to a friend, but would like to keep my Rams and Cory Cat. Even though these fish get along with the discus, is it still better to have the discus alone?

=Can I also move the plants over? I plan to do a bare bottom tank, with a couple big rocks(that can easily be removed during water changes), some manzanita and the crypt and sword plants in Terra Cotta Pots with sand. Do I have to worry about contamination with these too?

=Same with Driftwood?

i don't want to do anything that could potentially harm my new discus.

Also... anyone know where I can find a small amount of pool sand. I can't even find big bags, let alone small ones. Any major change stores that carry it, in store?

Thanks everyone, and I'm happy to be a part of your discus forum!

Mgardner
11-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Re: transferring your current tank to a larger one, yes you can move it all. It won't have tp be precycled if you're moving over your filters. May as well use your current filters if youre moving over your fish. IMO What you'll want to do is read about how to quarantine your discus when they're bought. You won't want to introduce the discus to the cycled tank right away.
Swords and crypts should be fine at discus temps (>82 deg).

You can get sand at home supply stores like lowes or Home Depot. Or at a pool store. You can add it in later if timing doesn't work due to the season but its a pain.

pastry
11-23-2013, 09:01 PM
and yep, the rams and cories will be fine. most cories prefer slightly cooler water (a few thrive in discus temps; i.e. sterbai... sp?). I have a few different types that prefer cooler water but they've been fine in my tank at 82 degrees. welcome to SD, ShrimpGuy

Elliots
11-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I have had bad luck with swords at Discus temp, 84-85. I lowered my temp to 82 and the plants are doing better and the Discus appear good. I would like to go cooler for my plants but I do not want to because I fear the effect that may have on my Discus. I posted about temp for plants and I think Liz S. and Pat suggested no lower than 82.

Cichlidcraze
11-24-2013, 03:22 AM
Welcome to SD. Just to add to what everyone else has said, Corydoras cats are best kept in groups of 6 or more. Make sure any rocks you use are smooth with no jagged edges. I would personally leave rocks out as they can become a place where debris gathers plus taking them out every time I do a wc, which is really often, will be a serious PITA and creates the risk of dropping them and cracking the tank. Just for interest sake, what size tank are you up-grading to?

ShrimpGuy
11-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Welcome to SD. Just to add to what everyone else has said, Corydoras cats are best kept in groups of 6 or more. Make sure any rocks you use are smooth with no jagged edges. I would personally leave rocks out as they can become a place where debris gathers plus taking them out every time I do a wc, which is really often, will be a serious PITA and creates the risk of dropping them and cracking the tank. Just for interest sake, what size tank are you up-grading to?

What you say about the rock is true. Maybe I will do something else. Just not sure I can go completely bare bottom. Might drive me crazy :) Oh... and I'm up grading to a 50 gallon tank.

I still wont be purchasing any discus for another month or so. Been searching online for places to buy them. Not much luck. There are a few places. The one with good prices gets really bad reviews and the others seems completely unaffordable. Can anyone suggest some places with good healthy fish, moderate prices and doesn't gouge us on the shipping cost? Why is it some charge $39 for shipping and other charge $85? I'm considering 5 fish at the moment. Was hoping to stay under $30 per fish. Any suggestions on where to go? Doesn't seem like we have much to choose from.

Thanks everyone!

Disgirl
11-24-2013, 12:53 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?42-SimplyDiscus-Sponsors

Please check this out, right here at SD are all the places you will ever need. Shipping costs vary widely, depends upon box size and weight, where it is going, and how well packed you want them to be. You get what you pay for. Discus cost a lot, if you want healthy ones, if you want to do it right, then expect to pay. Good luck and ask questions here if you need to.
Barb

dirtyplants
11-24-2013, 12:54 PM
I would suggest Kenny or Hans, as shipping will cost about 85$. Just purchase all 5 at one time. This will make the shipping a one time deal. Check the forum out for their fish or go to there site. This is the way to go IMO.

I keep my tanks around 85-86 all the time. Plants are thriving within tank. I just recently pulled out a massive amazon plant that was taking a 3rd of my 200 gallon tank, my discus are getting really big, I wanted to create more space. I potted that plant. The others I started using for compost as I have run out of tanks to place plants into.

Disgirl
11-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Yes, you are right dp, however, there are many other discus sponsors here who sell equally fabulous discus, I just got mine from Chicagodiscus, Josie. Hans and Kenny do have great fish but so do lots of other sponsors. I don't think many here will disagree with me.
Barb

pastry
11-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Shrimp guy, any of the sponsors on here are definitely trustworthy. I use Kenny & Carolina Discus, then you Hans which tends to be the other popular choice, but don't neglect to look into Jersey Discus, TNT, Mike Beal (should be getting back up soon I think), ChicagoDiscus (Josie), and many more. Here's the thing on the shipping,... you may feel like your purchasing an extra discus when it comes to shipping prices but in the long run you're getting high quality fish with no doubts at all (which usually saves you in the long run). They are all verrrry approachable and go out of their way to make sure they satisfy you.

In the mean time... a 50 gallon that's planted for 5 discus + tankmates is feasible but I would strongly urge you to at least go 75 gallons for what you're trying to do. Especially if (not sure what size you plan on) you plan on getting fish under 4.5". So here's a good excuse to go bigger! Woohooooo!!!!!!!

dirtyplants
11-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Would not disagree with you at all on that one. I use Kenny because he has always been very good to me and I know I can trust him, just no reason to change for me.

ShrimpGuy
11-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Shrimp guy, any of the sponsors on here are definitely trustworthy. I use Kenny & Carolina Discus, then you Hans which tends to be the other popular choice, but don't neglect to look into Jersey Discus, TNT, Mike Beal (should be getting back up soon I think), ChicagoDiscus (Josie), and many more. Here's the thing on the shipping,... you may feel like your purchasing an extra discus when it comes to shipping prices but in the long run you're getting high quality fish with no doubts at all (which usually saves you in the long run). They are all verrrry approachable and go out of their way to make sure they satisfy you.

In the mean time... a 50 gallon that's planted for 5 discus + tankmates is feasible but I would strongly urge you to at least go 75 gallons for what you're trying to do. Especially if (not sure what size you plan on) you plan on getting fish under 4.5". So here's a good excuse to go bigger! Woohooooo!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone! I'll check the sponsers. I checked a few yesterday, but wasn't actually seeing anything for sale. I'll look again.

I do wish I could go bigger on the tank, but it's a matter of space. 50 is as big as I can go. What is I got rid of the tankmates, and went down to 4 discus instead of 5? I see Ken is in Daly City. I used to live and manage an apartment building there. Small world.

pastry
11-24-2013, 02:06 PM
5's actually the absolute least amount most will recommend on here. it's recommended to disperse aggression but also provide more of a sense of school for the fish. gotcha on the space. well have you thought about using a sump for filtration? that will plus up the amount of dedicated water to fish. if you're doing 50 gallons with planted then you'll probably only have around 40-43 gallons dedicated just to the discus alone.

looking for adults, sub adults, or juvies?

seriously consider a sump though! that'll really help you in this case. doesn't need to be anything crazy. mine's just a Rubbermaid tote with some porous foam... and that's it.

ShrimpGuy
11-25-2013, 01:12 AM
5's actually the absolute least amount most will recommend on here. it's recommended to disperse aggression but also provide more of a sense of school for the fish. gotcha on the space. well have you thought about using a sump for filtration? that will plus up the amount of dedicated water to fish. if you're doing 50 gallons with planted then you'll probably only have around 40-43 gallons dedicated just to the discus alone.

looking for adults, sub adults, or juvies?

seriously consider a sump though! that'll really help you in this case. doesn't need to be anything crazy. mine's just a Rubbermaid tote with some porous foam... and that's it.

A sump is a great idea. I'll have to check it out. The rubbermaid tote sounds easy, but what about the plumbing?

My plan is the purchase smaller discus 2 to 3 inches.

And just to be clear. It's not officially "planted". Just a few 3 inch pots with small swords and a crypt. Otherwise, it's bare bottom for now.

And thanks to everyone else for their input! It's all very helpful !