PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Sales

Spawnstar
11-25-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't have a tank yet but have decided to buy a 90g tank with overflow with an Aqueon Proflex sump (the biggest one).

As black friday is coming up I wanted to get as much of the other equipment as I can. I was hoping to get some recommendations of good brands/types.

Heaters

I thought about getting 2 300w heaters, mainly so i have a backup if one fails, but also, reading the post on heater sizing I think one 300w will not be big enough.

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand?

Return pump

I need something that can do about 1000gph. I heard good things about the mag drive pumps. Can anyone recommend a reliable quiet return pump.

Lights

I don't plan to have the tank planted but want some good light to see my fish. LED seems to be the best but there are a ton to choose from. What is a good one to buy?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

DiscusLoverJeff
11-25-2013, 03:58 PM
You can try Jager heaters or the new Cobalt heaters. I seen them at the recent trade show and I like the construction of them and the fact you can take them out of the water and they will shut off.

Mag drive pumps are good but you need to know how much water you are planning on moving.

You can find LED lights just about everywhere. You would have to decide the color you are looking to obtain.

Wes
11-25-2013, 04:04 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+23726&pcatid=23726
Free shipping on orders over 49$
Got 2 -300 watt jagers in a 120 gal set a couple degrees apart. One has no problem keeping temp. The other is the back up.

ericatdallas
11-25-2013, 04:46 PM
---Lighting

Are you a little bit handy? Can save a ton on building your own LED hood.

I built my own light for a 20G and it cost me like 1/4th the cost of an equivalent spec light. I'll probably build one for my 90G now.

Downside to mine is that it doesn't look as clean (under the hood), but it's not as noticeable from viewing the tank.

But you have control of what you put in BUT it is more time consuming.

---Heating

I use whatever is cheapest, but I have Jagers (bought cheap from drsfostersmith.com two years ago) and they work great. I also do two heaters for all my tanks except the 20G or smaller --- but I rarely keep anything delicate or expensive in those (mostly shrimp), BNPs, and cories.