PDA

View Full Version : Lfs has Stendkers

Cichlidcraze
11-28-2013, 07:36 PM
A Lfs in my area claims to have Stendker Red Scribble and Blue Turks which he says he imported directly from Germany. The fish have excellent shape, and the colour seems right for their size (about 5". I compared them to pictures on Hans' website). These fish all eat very well.
So there are some things that are worrying me though. Are these really Stendkers? They seem really cheap (about 100 dollars each), if i compare them to prices from Hans.
They have been in his tanks for months now. Will this have permanently impacted their health/growth?
Some of them are keeping one gill closed. Should i walk away based on this one alone? I am only even considering this as i am having a hard time finding any good discus where i live.
SD has raised my expectations of what good discus are and i am not finding anything that ticks all the boxes. Alot have poor shape, or poor colour, or poor health, or various combinations of these.

Discusdude7
11-28-2013, 07:42 PM
I would walk away. Even if they are stendkers no telling what diseases they got in lfs tanks.

sdrexler078
11-28-2013, 07:48 PM
I'd definitely skip it. Just order from a sponser. You won't find better discus than the people here. This site has raised my expectations too. After ordering from Hans and Kenny I could never go back to a lfs

rdiscus
11-28-2013, 08:30 PM
You don't know that they're real Stendker and I don't think other importers can have Stendker directly beside Han, plus $100 for each at 5" ... I would say NO WAY ...

William Palumbo
11-28-2013, 08:52 PM
OP might not have too many options, if he is from Cape town, Africa. I don't think Hans ships that far away...Bill

pastry
11-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Tough one. If no trustworthy breeders/importers around then I think I'd be verrrry tempted (if that price for the apparent quality). Definitely a tough decision but then again, if there is no other decision then why not? Now, if you have other discus then I would QT the heck out of them for a while before mixing but remember there's a risk in mixing from different sources.

Nick Klimkowski
11-28-2013, 11:09 PM
I agree i would stay away from them, i would not think that he would be importing directly from stendker. i know shipping can be expensive but there are so many good sponcers to buy from here that shipping is really a small price to pay for years of a good quality and healthy fish.

-Nick

wild4discus
11-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Closed gill is not a good sign. Last thing you want is to start with discus that is not healthy. I would pass on those even if the price is cheap.

OC Discus
11-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Stendeker website lists retailers in many countries outside the US. Hans is the US agent. S Africa probably has its own agent. You can verify if he is an authorized retailer on the Stendeker website.

Cichlidcraze
11-29-2013, 02:55 AM
Unfortunately here in Cape Town South Africa we don't have sponsors like the USA. I listed the price in USD for ease of comparison. There are a number of breeders around here, but they only have small discus for sale. And based on advice from DiscusloverJeff i need to get 5 adults to go with the single adult discus i currently have. Most importers here will not sell to the public as they don't want to compete with their main customers i.e Lfs. I will keep looking around. I really don't want to try a "buy sick fish and try to fix them" scenario. If money and tank space were not an issue i would do a direct import myself from a breeder like Danziger maybe.

DeMarco
11-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Hi Cichlidcraze

Im a fellow South African. The chances are those are Stendker discus. Theres a few guys importing Stendker Discus into SA, and although the last import was quite a while back as far as I know, these could very well be from that batch.
If you are looking for Discus in SA the last place to look is in a Lfs. If you want you can contact me via pm and I could point you to someone in Cape town who has some very nice Red Scribs up for sale. They are about 14cm in size and just over a year old now.

Rgds

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

rdiscus
11-29-2013, 11:11 AM
South African? oh sorry I didn't know ... maybe your lfs can import directly from Germany

Discusdude7
11-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Can u post a pic of the fish?

Cichlidcraze
11-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Hi DeMarco. Pm sent. Nice to meet a fellow South African. Next time i am in the area (the Lfs is not so local) i will take some pics. Even if they are Stendkers, i still worry about previously mentioned issues. Lfs certainly generally have no clue, or possibly inclination, when it comes to caring for discus.
Nearly had an all out fist fight with some moron at a different Lfs trying to sell me 3" discus with eyes the size of a whales. Even with my limited knowledge it was plain to see they were totally stunted. He took major offence when i told him what i thought of these poor sad fish in an attempt to educate him. I suppose that for some people ignorance is bliss.