PDA

View Full Version : The "Vodka Method"

DiscusLoverJeff
12-01-2013, 10:27 AM
I been having an issue with my reef tank regarding high phosphates recently. And with nothing new added to my reef in quite some time, I figure it must be something already established in the reef itself in combination with possibly food creating the rise in phosphates. So after doing some research (just love Google) I was reading this article.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/nitratecontrol/a/Reducing-Nitrates-In-Your-Marine-Aquarium-With-The-Vodka-Method.htm

I am going to try this today after I complete my water change.

Results to follow.

YSS
12-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Yup. Read about it a few years ago on reef central. Good luck. I have been having some issues with red algae in my tank for a while now. I think I don't have enough light on the tank ...

DiscusLoverJeff
12-01-2013, 10:35 AM
That is a possibility. Have you changed bulbs recently? What type fixture (halide, T5, LED's)?

erndog1001
12-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Ok first of all That has to be the worst article I've seen on the subject. If you're looking for good reliable info by people who are not just copying somebody else's work and posting it to their site. You should join "Reef Central" forum. That being said Vodka dosing does work!! I've been using the method for quite awhile now and my Nitrates and Phos. are undetectable. Pls read better articles and a get a dosing chart before you start. Bc you can do as much harm as good to your tank.