PDA

View Full Version : Are there ever days where you just don't have time to do a water change?

LisaT
12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I've had my new discus for a week and all seems to be going pretty well. I've been feeding them a variety of food and doing water changes (50%) daily. I'm well aware, due to these forums, that discus need pristine water conditions, so I also have been siphoning up uneaten food.

Sunday night I worked from 7pm until noon the next day (with a 40 min drive each way). I then had to be back at 7pm until 7am. So, for the first time I skipped my water change, but it worried me because I want my discus to do well. I am assuming that not everyone is able to change water every single day. I guess my question is, is it ok to skip a day or two here and there?

Elliots
12-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes.

DiscusLoverJeff
12-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Sometimes Lisa life gets in the way of a lot of things. If you have to skip a day, you can always do more (75% or?) the next day.

rdiscus
12-04-2013, 11:24 AM
I guess my question is, is it ok to skip a day or two here and there?
Yes ... They will be fine

Larry Bugg
12-04-2013, 11:40 AM
As long as it doesn't become a habit.............................

MKD
12-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Yes, they'll be ok. IF you have a good WC system or a way to do quick WC that will give you some break. I know how you feel but if you keep playing around or improving your WC, then you'll have break. I told a few new young hobbyists, you will need to be responsibility and discipline. Discus is not like other fish.

Nick Klimkowski
12-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Yes Lisa it will not be a problem, just try to do the daily water changes as often as possible.

-Nick

BODYDUB
12-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Its ok to skip a day every once in a while, but don't get used to it and start to skip more w/c's. That's where the trouble begins..........

ericatdallas
12-04-2013, 02:08 PM
OMFG, you're fish are screwed! You might as well cull them now! ;)

I skip all the time :(

Moon
12-04-2013, 02:14 PM
When it becomes a chore, it's no longer an enjoyable hobby. That's why I automated mine.

DonMD
12-04-2013, 02:20 PM
I only change water every other day anyway, except in my juvies tank.

dirtyplants
12-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Water change everyday is a good habit to get into. At first it is fun and you are engaged, then you are tired or preoccupied, and every other day seems more plausible, then something kicks you in the butt and you are back to the every day. If you make it a routine then it becomes second nature, like getting up and washing your face, you eventually devise ways to automate it a bit to save time and ad pleasure. If it becomes a chore, weighing heavy on your mind as something you have to do or did not do, then come to the forum and read, this will help reinvigorate your passion and affirm your delight in the grace and beauty of these fish.

ericatdallas
12-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I do think they key is to get as much machinery involved as you can afford :)

Eti
12-04-2013, 04:53 PM
I do think they key is to get as much machinery involved as you can afford :)

+1. And now I change 50% on my 75G everyday and I love it!

sharkbite
12-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Don't freak out. Nobody changes their water in the Amazon. They wait for the rain to wash away the excessive yuck. Hobbies are supposed to bring you pleasure. Not stress.

Kal-El
12-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Yes... light feeding and skip a day or two and do a large WC when you have time. Sometime life gets to you and WC just isn't in the schedule...

ktltn04
12-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Just invest in some big good pump and a barrel to hold water. It took me about half hour everyday to do a quick 50% water change included clean pre filter, wipe the bottom for my 125gallons discus set up. On weekend I will do a 100% water change.

vikki
12-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Good to know, I worry about that too!

White Worm
12-05-2013, 11:23 PM
yes, it happens. I do larger changes every few days instead of smaller ones every day. Just depends on the time I have between work and family.

nc0gnet0
12-06-2013, 02:07 AM
nope

William Palumbo
12-06-2013, 02:35 AM
ANYONE who does daily manual WC's, and does not think they will miss a day or two, is seriously delusional. You will miss some. If not, you have no life...and NEVER get sick. If the health of your fish depends solely on DAILY WC's, you are doing something wrong with your set-up...Bill

fishaddict
12-06-2013, 03:27 AM
ANYONE who does daily manual WC's, and does not think they will miss a day or two, is seriously delusional. You will miss some. If not, you have no life...and NEVER get sick. If the health of your fish depends solely on DAILY WC's, you are doing something wrong with your set-up
+1

nc0gnet0
12-06-2013, 09:01 AM
ANYONE who does daily manual WC's, and does not think they will miss a day or two, is seriously delusional. You will miss some. If not, you have no life...and NEVER get sick. If the health of your fish depends solely on DAILY WC's, you are doing something wrong with your set-up...Bill

I guess that makes me delusional. I can honestly say, on the tanks that requite daily wc's (fry, young juvies, crowded grow outs) I have never missed a WC. If water changes are such a chore, IMO the hobbiest needs to take measures in which he streamlines the process and makes them easy and quick to do. Granted, I have never been (knock wood) hit with a debilatating illness other than the occasional fever/flu/nasty cold, and will cross that bridge when I come to it. I can change water in one tank in less than five minutes, that leaves plenty of time for life.

-Rick

ericatdallas
12-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Yeah, even when I'm sick I can manage to do some WCs... but with 5 kids, when they get sick, the fish have to suck it up b/c I might not get to them... :(

White Worm
12-07-2013, 02:39 AM
When I had back surgery, changing water on a fish tank was at the bottom of my priority list. Life happens and it doesn't matter if it takes 5 minutes or 30 minutes, everyone will miss eventually.

Discusdude7
12-07-2013, 11:15 AM
I guess that makes me delusional. I can honestly say, on the tanks that requite daily wc's (fry, young juvies, crowded grow outs) I have never missed a WC. If water changes are such a chore, IMO the hobbiest needs to take measures in which he streamlines the process and makes them easy and quick to do. Granted, I have never been (knock wood) hit with a debilatating illness other than the occasional fever/flu/nasty cold, and will cross that bridge when I come to it. I can change water in one tank in less than five minutes, that leaves plenty of time for life.

-Rick

5 minutes? Some type of auto WC system?

aquadon2222
12-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Discus don't mind slightly murky water, as long as your killer toxins (ammonia, nitrites) are in check they'll be fine. Also, watch your fish and see how they react to water changes - they will tell you how frequently you should change.

BODYDUB
12-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Oh boy....................

Rudustin
12-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh boy....................

LOL! It is pointless to respond!

Second Hand Pat
12-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Discus don't mind slightly murky water, as long as your killer toxins (ammonia, nitrites) are in check they'll be fine. Also, watch your fish and see how they react to water changes - they will tell you how frequently you should change.

There is more to water then ammonia and nitrites. Murky water indicates a large WC is needed.

aquadon2222
12-29-2013, 09:13 PM
I've had my new discus for a week and all seems to be going pretty well. I've been feeding them a variety of food and doing water changes (50%) daily. I'm well aware, due to these forums, that discus need pristine water conditions, so I also have been siphoning up uneaten food.

Sunday night I worked from 7pm until noon the next day (with a 40 min drive each way). I then had to be back at 7pm until 7am. So, for the first time I skipped my water change, but it worried me because I want my discus to do well. I am assuming that not everyone is able to change water every single day. I guess my question is, is it ok to skip a day or two here and there?

I never miss a day! In fact, I do three times a day without fail. If you miss a day your fish will all die and you will have to live with the guilt. <;-)

William Palumbo
12-29-2013, 09:19 PM
LOL...If you miss a day of water changing and your fish die...they weren't too healthy to start with!...Bill

Bill63SG
12-30-2013, 12:09 AM
I never miss a day! In fact, I do three times a day without fail. If you miss a day your fish will all die and you will have to live with the guilt. <;-)
Sounds like someone has one tank.No disrespect.

LOL...If you miss a day of water changing and your fish die...they weren't too healthy to start with!...Bill

+1!!!

Keith Perkins
12-30-2013, 12:41 AM

What a difference a couple of days makes.

ericatdallas
12-30-2013, 12:57 AM
I think he was being sardonic.

Tonihuynh
12-30-2013, 02:24 AM
I like this answer. as sometimes people need to take vacation out of town. think about you won't change water and feed the fish for few days of vacation.

sholvey
12-30-2013, 10:27 AM
When it becomes a chore, it's no longer an enjoyable hobby. That's why I automated mine.

I couldn't agree more. There are times when I go to do my water changes and it seems like a heavy burden.

Sean

aqualogic
12-31-2013, 11:41 PM
it's been about three weeks since I've done my last water change and even though I'm not an experienced discus owner like most people here, I do have a heavily planted aquarium. My plants do a good job of filtering out the water quality, I also have a canister filter which has good beneficial bacteria. I don't have much info to give other than my own experiences thus far with my one discus. Before I got him, I was worried about the PH levels and the water changes, everything I've read thus far has told me that these must be done accordingly and must be accurate, otherwise it is out of the ordinary. The only other amazonian fish I hold on hand is cardinal tetras which have survived thus far, all my other fish come from eastern asia. My heat temperature has stayed at a consistent 80 degrees and my PH levels for my tap water has been at 8.2, I never age my tap water, only add Seachem Prime with every dose. Just my .02 but that's what has worked for me so far.

nc0gnet0
01-01-2014, 02:22 AM
it's been about three weeks since I've done my last water change and even though I'm not an experienced discus owner like most people here, I do have a heavily planted aquarium. My plants do a good job of filtering out the water quality, I also have a canister filter which has good beneficial bacteria. I don't have much info to give other than my own experiences thus far with my one discus. Before I got him, I was worried about the PH levels and the water changes, everything I've read thus far has told me that these must be done accordingly and must be accurate, otherwise it is out of the ordinary. The only other amazonian fish I hold on hand is cardinal tetras which have survived thus far, all my other fish come from eastern asia. My heat temperature has stayed at a consistent 80 degrees and my PH levels for my tap water has been at 8.2, I never age my tap water, only add Seachem Prime with every dose. Just my .02 but that's what has worked for me so far.

And the fish in your avatar looks stunted and extremely thin. Good luck.

dirtyplants
01-01-2014, 03:11 AM
Oh Father Fish forgive me for I have sinned. I have avoided my WC's for a week now. My discus look ragged and are beginning to show signs of stress. The more I avoid my chores the more guilt I feel and I find myself filling my time reading self improvement books. I promise that I will seek contrition and rectify my poor and slothful behaviors. My New Years resolution will be to automate my wc's so I have more time to take out the trash and follow the Packers.
Happy New Years!

aqualogic
01-01-2014, 05:22 AM
And the fish in your avatar looks stunted and extremely thin. Good luck.

That photo was taken about three months ago when I first got him. I guess that makes him lucky?

Second Hand Pat
01-01-2014, 07:14 AM
That photo was taken about three months ago when I first got him. I guess that makes him lucky?

What does it look like now? Any pictures?