PDA

View Full Version : Cory stuck in Marineland Magnum 350 Prefilter

OC Discus
12-08-2013, 04:15 PM
I just noticed the flow in my tank was slowed down, so I removed the sponge prefilter from the inlet on the Mag 350 to clean it. A white blob was embedded in the end of the sponge, which I thought was sealant out of the tank. Put another sponge on and cranked it up.

Cleaning the prefilter, I noticed the white glob was one of my albino corys. I don't know if he died and got sucked into the inlet, or if he got sucked in and died. I do know that the mag 350 has awesome suction. Has anyone had one of these suck up a live fish, or do you think the fish was dead first? No signs of disease or poor water quality.

Nick Klimkowski
12-08-2013, 04:20 PM
i would guess that the fish just died and got sucked up, if you wanted to you could place filter sponge, plastic chicken, etc, around the intake just in case.

OC Discus
12-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Plastic Chicken? It has a small sponge on it. I could add a big one instead it if becomes a problem.

i would guess that the fish just died and got sucked up, if you wanted to you could place filter sponge, plastic chicken, etc, around the intake just in case.

sdrexler078
12-08-2013, 04:41 PM
I don't think they suck that hard to over power the fish. I don't think marine land would make them that strong. I agree with nick that it died first.

HeidinJohn
07-16-2014, 12:49 AM
We had LIVE Danios that got sucked into our 350 during a filter change. We think they got sucked in during the back flow when you open up the valves (at the time just had open tubing instead of the filter baskets / flow deflector) to get the pump primed. Fortunately my wife noticed right away after looking at the filter. Shut it down & dumped the fish back into the tank. They did not seem to suffer too much & are still swimming along several months later. (planted 75G non Discus tank).

Also once had a Tetra take the plunge through the overflow box & was swimming hard against the current. Sump made a weird noise when that happened so I noticed right away & was able to rescue the little fishy.

zachrabbit15
07-16-2014, 07:57 AM

Tell me more about this plastic chicken please ;)

Skip
07-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Tell me more about this plastic chicken please ;)

http://mortgagefreeinthree.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/plastic-rubber-chicken.jpg