PDA

View Full Version : Getting some new fish what do i do?

kirklandlaker
12-12-2013, 05:58 PM
i have 75gal tank with 2 discus in it now and I'm going to pick up 3 more what should i do before putting them in with the other 2? thank you any help is appreciated ….

Second Hand Pat
12-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Welcome to Simply. We generally recommend a six week period in a QT with no mixing of equipment between your display tank and the QT.

kirklandlaker
12-12-2013, 08:17 PM
so i should have another tank all set up and leave them in there for 6 weeks before putting them in my tank ???? thanks for you help WOW i hope thats not what your saying lol

Second Hand Pat
12-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Yup, that is what I am saying...sorry. Craigslist is your friend here.

kirklandlaker
12-12-2013, 11:12 PM
wow ok then i better get to work hey what is the reason for this so they do get sick? and thanks for all your help :)

Second Hand Pat
12-12-2013, 11:16 PM
You are welcome. It is always a good idea to QT all new fish. It allows the fish time to recover from shipping, get use to the new water and food plus allows the owner time to observe for any issues with the new fish.

Pwcextreme
12-13-2013, 01:14 AM
This is what I do.
I received 7 new discus a couple weeks ago, I put them in my new 110 tall tank for about 2 weeks now by themself and everything is looking good they r eating like pigs and r all alert, so today I introduced one of my older larger discus from my other tank, if that goes well in a week, I will put the other 3 in and shut down my smaller tank or use it for a quarantine tank. It's always good to have your main tank and a small 10 to 20 gallon for a quarantine tank.
Just the way I do things.

Pwcextreme
12-13-2013, 01:19 AM
I wanted to add there r no good places to get nice discus where I live so I do mail order, so if u r looking for nice discus I got mine from sunrise tropicals. I like them because u can go online and see his stock, so u know what u r getting. And he's a great guy that will help u out.

OC Discus
12-13-2013, 02:02 AM
You can pick up a 20g kit from Walmart for $49.99 that should serve as a qt/hospital tank. It comes with heater, led lights, hood and filter.

I bought a 20g plain tank for qt because I already had a heater and filter. I don't have a hood and lights on it.

Second Hand Pat
12-13-2013, 04:20 AM
I wanted to add there r no good places to get nice discus where I live so I do mail order, so if u r looking for nice discus I got mine from sunrise tropicals. I like them because u can go online and see his stock, so u know what u r getting. And he's a great guy that will help u out.

You should check out our sponsors here for your discus purchases. Quality, pricing, selection and customer service are unsurpassed.

kirklandlaker
12-13-2013, 07:39 PM
first time i order off line just happen to stumble across this site clicked on one of your sponsors links and there i was ordering fish lol now with all this great help and info i sure hope i can keep them alive :o) its been costing me a small fortune :( Thanks for all the help……

kirklandlaker
12-13-2013, 08:04 PM
OC where would i get a discus like the one in your profile picture?? that looks absolutely incredible

OC Discus
12-13-2013, 08:08 PM
You would probably have to raise one like that. Its not mine, only a dream of mine. Most yellows are known to turn orange due to pigments in foods. I think you could get a group of yellows and grow them out with yellow enhancing food and no red enhancing food. You would also have to power feed and water change like most of the sponsors on sd. I don't know anyone that sells big yellows like that.

BTW- I bet some of the folks on sd could grow a tank of them if they set their mind to it. May be a good challenge for the next NADA contest.

OC where would i get a discus like the one in your profile picture?? that looks absolutely incredible