PDA

View Full Version : When is it overdoing it?

1.0reef
12-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Hello! I've recently decided to transform my 56 gallon aquarium into a planted discus tank! Nothing like a good challenge, but I'd like to be prepared.
First off, here are the system's specs:
DT: 56 gallons 36 x 18 x 20 inches
Corner overflow
15 gallon sump with sponges, GAC, and another biomedia, I'm considering a refugium....
Eheim Compact 3000 on lowest setting
two 75 watt heaters and one 100 watt heater running at like 90, keeps the tank around 80-83
Aquasoil and gravel substrate, low lying manzanita wood, and plenty of swords and cryps (A bit thin right now due to the move)
My questions were, if I converted the tank to a discus tank which one of these lists would you do?
List 1:
2 Discus
3 or 5 Three Stripe cories
11 to 15 Rummynose or cardinal tetras
Maybe 5 Hatchetfish, if getting these I'd do 11 tetras
List 2:
Maybe 4 Discus
3 to 5 Cories
Maybe a couple other fish
List 3:
5-6 Discus (I've heard this is fine, but I'm assuming I'd have to up the filtration)
List 4:
What you suggest!
Then I'm planning to use my old planted tank, use big PVC pipes to hiding, or a clay pot, sponge filter, daily to every other day filtration, grow them, get them eating, light meds if no symptoms occur, if more obvious ones occur I'll do more heavy meds. I'm planning the QT/growout should take a couple months
I'm planning on getting them from a local breeder, I like the Red Scribblet and Albino Blue Diamond/Cobalt 2 inch specimens he/she put up.
Thank you!

wild4discus
12-17-2013, 10:36 PM
5-6 discus.. Growing out discus in a planted tank is usually not recommended here on SD, but can done with exceptional care and maintenance.

1.0reef
12-17-2013, 10:47 PM
I was going to grow them out in a different tank until they got large enough.
Thanks for your input!

Keith Perkins
12-17-2013, 11:08 PM
I'd definitely go with option 3 to avoid aggression issues. 56 is a little tight, but can be done.

1.0reef
12-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Cool, should I maybe upgrade the sump a little bit?

Keith Perkins
12-17-2013, 11:24 PM
I forgot you were planning to use a sump, don't know how much that will help. Others here surely will.

1.0reef
12-17-2013, 11:29 PM
I have a sump on there, the tank is established :)

OC Discus
12-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Option 3. With good filtration and sump, you could add corys and some cardinals. The tank with good filtration and wc should handle the 5-6 discus. Keep check on parameters. I like to use an ammonia alert inside the tank. It will show the smallest spike in ammonia, then reset when the ammonia is removed. Then you can test for nitrite and nitrate less frequently after the tank is fully cycled.

1.0reef
12-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks! I'll be sure to get one! Reefers love using those during QT and raising fish like clownfish!

1.0reef
12-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Just tested!
Amm. 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate around 5 (That surprised me)
PH around 7.3

OC Discus
12-18-2013, 12:03 AM
If you get 5-6 discus, you need at least a 55g to grow them out in for up to a year, depending on initial size. To grow them large and healthy, 4-5 feedings per day and daily water changes of 50% are recommended. Much easier in a bare bottom tank. You could always upgrade to planted tank later, or start with adult discus.

You will probably be happier to clean out all the gravel and plants before adding the discus and add all 5 or 6 from the same source at one time. This eliminates stress and disease from crossing strains and sources. Kenny and Hans probably have the largest selections to order all at one time. I would decide which strains I want and try to order them all together. Have the tank cleaned, cycled and running when the discus arrive. If you have other fish, you will need to quarantine them in a separate tank for about six weeks before combining (search quarantine using search feature).

Also, no need to medicate unless you are treating a known condition. Medication can harm the fish.

1.0reef
12-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Hmmm, then I'm getting adults, school takes a good 8 hours out of each day....
I'll get adults, not big ones though, or grow babies out if I can try my best....
I really don't want to take my whole aquascape out, just not possible to me :( But that would help, maybe get a cheap 55 gallon of CL
Ok
What about 1 Mated/Bonded pair of discus with some peaceful tankmates?

OC Discus
12-18-2013, 12:32 AM
That would work. If you want to raise fry you should read up on that first. Mated pairs are high from a retailer, less from an individual.

1.0reef
12-18-2013, 12:44 AM
I think I'd like to do that for a few reasons:
I could have a bit more smaller fish like Tetras.
I could watch fish parent their fry and help raise them and maybe even sell them! (Which would make a great science report too! lol)
Not to mention it'd be less of a hassle for me, although I could care less how much work it is.
I've seen some nice bonded and mated pairs on craigslist, usually around $150-$300+ depending on the variant.
BTW I just looked at Hans store, WOW! I think I've died and gone to heaven!

OC Discus
12-18-2013, 03:18 AM
Hans probably has the largest selection of pairs in the country. They are expensive, but you can see pictures of the actual fish you are getting.

Good luck.

I think I'd like to do that for a few reasons:
I could have a bit more smaller fish like Tetras.
I could watch fish parent their fry and help raise them and maybe even sell them! (Which would make a great science report too! lol)
Not to mention it'd be less of a hassle for me, although I could care less how much work it is.
I've seen some nice bonded and mated pairs on craigslist, usually around $150-$300+ depending on the variant.
BTW I just looked at Hans store, WOW! I think I've died and gone to heaven!

1.0reef
12-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah, WYSIWYG is nice.

1.0reef
12-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Anyone else think a pair of discus would work with other small fish in my aquarium?

Altum Nut
12-18-2013, 08:21 PM
I would suggest you not go that route. If getting a pair...they should be in a tank of thier own approx. 20g to 30g.
My honest suggestion would be to get a group of 4 to 6 adults as your school will be taking most of your time.
If money is an issue with adults...then don't get any Discus right now until you have more dedicated time to properly care for them.

...Ralph

1.0reef
12-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Ok, then I'll get a small group, money isn't an issue ATM. Plus I'm getting an auto feeder so they can be properly fed with dry foods, and I can give them beefheart and bloodworms, plus some frozen while I'm home.

1.0reef
12-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Also I plan on changing the GAC to Purigen.

1.0reef
12-18-2013, 11:00 PM
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/4242797938.html
Wowza!