PDA

View Full Version : Media for filter??

amb3rgarcia
12-19-2013, 02:10 AM
I was wanting to know what kind of media would be best for a bio wheel filter for my discus tank?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Tormentor
12-19-2013, 12:55 PM
I was wanting to know what kind of media would be best for a bio wheel filter for my discus tank?

Go on YouTube and search for pondguru, he has several media, and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

DiscusLoverJeff
12-19-2013, 01:38 PM
If you are doing daily water changes, only thing you really need for media are sponges in the HoB filter. Fill the filter about half way with sponges and rinse them in tank water once a month (or sooner depending on the bio-load).

OC Discus
12-19-2013, 05:03 PM
The wheel itself is biomedia. Beneficial bacteria colonize the wheel and help clean your water. Never rinse the wheel in tap water, only in tank water when needed. Carbon is not recommended. Any kind of floss will work- The kind made for the unit is probably easiest, unless it has carbon in it. If it does, you can use cut to fit floss or sponge media. You want to rinse the floss at least weekly and change it monthly.

amb3rgarcia
12-19-2013, 05:28 PM
It has a canister and I wanted to fill it with media can't remember the name but it's the white rings to reduce ammonia and nitrate and grow good bacteria

OC Discus
12-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Any lfs should have them. You can get bio rings, bio balls, bio stars. The ceramic rings are probably the most popular. I recently put in a canister filter and filled the entire chamber made for carbon with bio rings from Petsmart. I removed one hob filter when adding the canister, and dosed the tank with tetra safestart. A week later I removed the other hob filter and moved it to a new tank. The ammonia alert has not shown any spike in ammonia, but I did have a little cloud of bacteria bloom for about one day.

Did you get the marinland magnum 350 with the biowheel attachment?

Frankr409
12-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Is this question in the correct thread?