PDA

View Full Version : Please help Identify my Strains =)

mattphat23
12-29-2013, 09:25 PM
I have 3 discus and wanted to ask your help in identifying the exact strain of discus. Please reference the link for the pictures. Your input is greatly appreciated! Thank you! =)

http://s25.photobucket.com/user/mattmackay22/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Skip
12-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Blue diamond. . Red turq. Type.. pigeon blood

mattphat23
12-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Blue diamond. . Red turq. Type.. pigeon blood

Thank you Skip! I am most appreciative for your help. Thank you! =]

Rudustin
12-29-2013, 10:13 PM
I think the first picture on the far left is called a Ghost. I may be wrong. Rufus

Nick Klimkowski
12-29-2013, 10:46 PM
I think the first picture on the far left is called a Ghost. I may be wrong. Rufus

It is a BD, but it looks to be under a little stress so it is darker which makes it appear like it is a ghost.

Rudustin
12-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Nick, You're probably right. It does look stressed regardless of what kind it is? Rufus

Tazalanche
12-29-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm fairly certain the first one is not a blue diamond. Despite its condition, it appears to have naturally darker fins than a blue diamond. It also has a bar going through its eye and a bar on its caudal fin, but blue diamonds do not have bars. I would lean more towards a cobalt, ghost or dark angel, but I believe the last 2 I mentioned don't have bars either.

On the second, I was thinking a red turquoise or mosaic leopard.

The last one is definitely a pigeonblood of some sort, but with it faded to orange the possibilities are many. It looks like it is the healthiest of the three.

Nick Klimkowski
12-29-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm fairly certain the first one is not a blue diamond. Despite its condition, it appears to have naturally darker fins than a blue diamond. It also has a bar going through its eye and a bar on its caudal fin, but blue diamonds do not have bars. I would lean more towards a cobalt, ghost or dark angel, but I believe the last 2 I mentioned don't have bars either.

On the second, I was thinking a red turquoise or mosaic leopard.

The last one is definitely a pigeonblood of some sort, but with it faded to orange the possibilities are many. It looks like it is the healthiest of the three.

It could be a Cobalt, but I am still leaning twards BD.

Tazalanche
12-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Blue diamonds do not have bars.

Nick Klimkowski
12-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Blue diamonds do not have bars.

Yes you are correct about BD not haveing bars but i do not see any bars only dark color from stress.

aquadon2222
01-01-2014, 06:31 PM
I have 3 discus and wanted to ask your help in identifying the exact strain of discus. Please reference the link for the pictures. Your input is greatly appreciated! Thank you! =)

http://s25.photobucket.com/user/mattmackay22/library/Mobile%20Uploads

The naming system for discus can be a little loose, but I would say a Blue Diamond and Red Turquise and would call the last one a Golden Rainbow, in the pigeon blood family.

Tazalanche
01-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Look at the first fish's eye and where caudal peduncle and caudal fin meet. See those black stripes? Those are bars. Blue diamonds do not have bars.

SortSay2003
01-09-2014, 01:18 AM
Hi Matt.

Did you buy these as "assorted" discus from A....Fish USA or one of their dist?

If that is the case, then they closest resemble a BD, Space Eruption, and Red Dragon, at least that's what I can find on their site.

The BD pictured here looks like my stunted BD. I also have a Red Dragon (with peppering) and Galaxy from one of their local dist. here in AZ.

Good luck with your fish!