PDA

View Full Version : Where do I belong?

Tankster
12-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Hey,

My first post on Simply Discus!

I am totally new to Discus and have been researching for about 6 months now. I am looking for some local groups and get togethers to learn even more. My problem, and the reason for this post... where do I belong? I am in the northern part of Virginia, just south of the Mason Dixon line. Looks like we have a Southeast forum and and Northeast forum. I kind of feel like I am in purgatory here in Northern VA... Where do I belong?

Regards,
Greg:confused:

Larry Bugg
12-31-2013, 11:25 PM
These independent groups really aren't forums. They are just semi local groups that meet usually about once a quarter for a social get together. Simply allows us to have space on the forum here to make post. There are no membership requirements for these groups. You just have to say sign me up, lol. If your interest is in physically attending some of these get together's then it is just a matter of making the drive.

Aside from that, welcome to Simply. This is where you belong if you want to learn about keeping discus.

Tankster
12-31-2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks Larry - I certainly belong here because I have so much to learn. I am in the process of getting my big tank and will hopefully find some advice here on setting up for Discus. I am probably at least 4 to 5 months out from fish in a tank so have a little more time to educate myself.

Thanks for the welcome!
Greg

John_Nicholson
01-01-2014, 12:17 AM
You belong in Austin in June for NADA 2014....

-john

Keith Perkins
01-01-2014, 12:27 AM
There are several good reads in the beginners section that are a great start. Here's a few links if you haven't already found them.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?28937-How-do-I-set-up-my-first-discus-tank

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?46982-What-not-to-buy

These are all stickies right at the top of the section.

SMB2
01-01-2014, 01:03 AM
After you read the stickies, and you are ready for your first discus, you belong in a car driving an hour up the road to go see Hans for your fish!

Tankster
01-01-2014, 01:10 AM
After you read the stickies, and you are ready for your first discus, you belong in a car driving an hour up the road to go see Hans for your fish!
Hans is the man and I am lucky enough to be right around the corner from him! I have started a Hans fund already. I'll probably put a couple of his grandchildren through college stocking the 200...

Tankster
01-01-2014, 01:13 AM
There are several good reads in the beginners section that are a great start. Here's a few links if you haven't already found them.

These are all stickies right at the top of the section.

Thanks Keith!

OC Discus
01-01-2014, 01:18 AM
Why not associate with both?

Hey,

My first post on Simply Discus!

I am totally new to Discus and have been researching for about 6 months now. I am looking for some local groups and get togethers to learn even more. My problem, and the reason for this post... where do I belong? I am in the northern part of Virginia, just south of the Mason Dixon line. Looks like we have a Southeast forum and and Northeast forum. I kind of feel like I am in purgatory here in Northern VA... Where do I belong?

Regards,
Greg:confused:

nova rounder
08-13-2014, 08:49 PM
hello Tankster,

we are pretty much neighbors! I live in Gainesville and 1hr away from Hans. I myself already started a piggy bank that I named Discus Hans!! Lol