PDA

View Full Version : Newbie need help: Discus spawned in my community tank

groovygaroo
01-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Hi Guys,

I hope this is the right place to seek help. I am pretty new to planted discus tank and have been reading this forum for 2 months before finally starting my own tank.

I am currently 5th week in my 4 feet planted tank and 2nd week into introducing fishes into it. I have 3 adult Discus, 4 juvenile discus, 20 red Serpae and a marble angelfish.

Only this week I saw 2 of the adult Discus pairing up and to my surprise this morning, the female has laid eggs on one of the leaves of the Java Fern!

As you can see I am very new to planted tank, let alone Discus breeding! I need help and good advise what should I do next? Do I need to remove the rest of the community fishes? How long does it take for the eggs to hatch? What other measures should I take?

(Didn't mention water parameters here as fish and plants are growing well and no algae issues so far.)

Let me hear your views.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Cullymoto
01-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Don't change a thing.
You don't say but it's a general common thread that the first several spawns will not survive. Mom and or dad will eat the eggs. Next time they'll make it a bit further along and then get eaten again and so on. I have a pair at their 10th spawn and they eat the eggs as soon as they become wigglers.
If your keeping things clean enough for them to want to spawn then your doing what you need to do, so I say again, don't change a thing.

Bill63SG
01-04-2014, 01:26 PM
You might not even have a pair,females will frequently spawn together.Leave them alone and see if you get wigglers,this will confirm a pair,and then you can decide what to do from there.Also,if you cant wait,put them in thier own tank,usally a 20H or a 29gal,and then see if they spawn in there and if you get wigglers.For the average hobbyist,its best to just leave them be,see if you can confirm them in the community tank.Any plecos or catfish?They'll usally get the eggs at night if the pair dont eat them first.