PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow cichlid fry

myofibroblast
01-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Strange query: I have a pair of rainbow cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa) that I have raised since they were babies. Little did I know they were male-female, and for the last 6 months they have been spawning every 2-3 weeks (basically after they have eaten their own babies, they start spawning immediately again). Since I'm not looking to breed, I was curious if the discus might be interested in eating some of the fry. Or will they adopt the fry?

Tazalanche
01-05-2014, 01:39 AM
In the last 14 months some of our discus have eaten (or killed) over 500 live ghost shrimp, two cories (two others lost an eye), one young yoyo loach, dozens of cardinal tetras, one 2.5"-3" brislenose plec, one adult lemon tetra and a few endlers. As long as you're not worried about parasites or disease, drop a few fry in and see what happens?

myofibroblast
01-05-2014, 02:53 AM
In the last 14 months some of our discus have eaten (or killed) over 500 live ghost shrimp, two cories (two others lost an eye), one young yoyo loach, dozens of cardinal tetras, one 2.5"-3" brislenose plec, one adult lemon tetra and a few endlers. As long as you're not worried about parasites or disease, drop a few fry in and see what happens?

I might try it after a few days. Going to let the swimmers grow a little bigger before I try the experiment. There are cardinal tetras in the tank too, and they will probably eat the fry. The discus haven't eaten the cardinal tetras yet, so I don't know if they are skittish. Hopefully the little fry will not freak them out.

myofibroblast
01-08-2014, 07:48 AM
They ignored the fry! But the cardinal tetras went crazy. :-)