PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting new discus to eat

hasu12
01-06-2014, 01:01 AM
hi Guys my first post will be asking for help not a good start..

i recently acquire new discus he about 13cm about a week now he not eating he was trying to eat other discus in the tank kinda bullying him as well .. he with about another 10 discus other seem to run for me they see me infront of the tank .. i got a big one because he can use his size to advantage ..he second biggest in the tank. he getting bully by everyone instead. i am feeding blood warms , beef heart , sera discus food ;o its always stressful with new discus until start eating :( i have move all the diftwood in the tank . any help would be great. i been looking around on the net found this forum this is great for discus

jamonbutter
01-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Few issues you have there, but let me share on the eating part based on my experience. Being new to discus keeping, I faced the same issue with mine when I try feeding them with pig heart. They simply ignore the food. So what I did was to keep try the same food in small portion (removed after while) for couple of weeks before they have no choice but to accept it. But having said that, this is only provided that there are no other external factors. Now they are all eating happily.

Don't think there are shortcuts in getting them to eat. So long you provide the optimal environment for them, they should eat.

Rudustin
01-06-2014, 09:53 PM
I've had new fish that haven't eaten in almost a month. They were adults. Don't worry. Just keep giving them small portions of food and of course don't leave it in the tank for long periods of time. Eventually they will get hungry and eat.

Hidonest
01-07-2014, 02:00 AM
I got my discus couple of days back. the LFS fed them frozen bloodworms so I stuck to the same. They skipped first couple of meals, but were on top of it from the 2nd day onwards. However, they do not go near the pellets / flakes or if they eat one by mistake, they spit it out. Guess I am just going to continue small portions and hopefully they will come around.

edit: forgot to mention, they are in 2.5-3" range

hasu12
01-07-2014, 10:15 PM
thxs guys it seem discus thing is not eating at the start .. will give them small portions and keep changing water and keep my fingers cross

SHARPAIN
01-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Feed small portions, remove uneaten food after feedings and they will have no choice but to eat when hungry. Try and feed the same type of food for a extended period of time before moving on to the next. A mixture of food is good but gives them a choice to pick their favorite feedings.

bwssr
01-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Why would you want get new discus to eat? Kind of expensive and not much meat on them and I think blue gills taste better. But then I never tried discus.

jamonbutter
01-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Why would you want get new discus to eat? Kind of expensive and not much meat on them and I think blue gills taste better. But then I never tried discus.

Good sense of humour!

hasu12
01-11-2014, 08:11 AM
cuz i heard they good deep fried :)