PDA

View Full Version : rest of the babies are in....plus an extra guest

myofibroblast
01-08-2014, 08:10 AM
The rest of the babies are in. The wild discus seem to ignore the domestic babies, probably because they are so small! I introduced an adult domestic discus today after a couple weeks in the 20g, thought it would bring joy to the ignored domestic babies...but who knew it was so mean! I'm surprised by how brave the big domestic discus is, it hasn't even tried to hide in the rosewood branch cave or under the giant anubias leaves. I think the wild blue discus are a bit distressed by the new adult, because their emotion bars are showing. *sad face*. Hopefully they'll adjust to the new guest after a few days. On a happier note, the old vals have shed their decaying, stressed leaves and brand new ones have grown in since they were planted. yay! And the white film on the wood is slowly going away.

http://youtu.be/2cGsXgxdZRc

Northwoods Discus
01-08-2014, 10:20 AM
You should search this site about quarantine of new fish. Your wilds are very nice.

Skip
01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
normal behavior, nothing out of ordinary in video

myofibroblast
01-08-2014, 11:47 AM
normal behavior, nothing out of ordinary in video

I hope! I do think the wild blues are a bit stressed by the newcomer, who is trying to establish dominance. They are cichlids after all, c'est la vie!

Trevor W
01-08-2014, 11:55 AM
You should search this site about quarantine of new fish. Your wilds are very nice.

Op said he quarantined the new fish in a 20Gal for a couple of weeks....

myofibroblast
01-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Op said he quarantined the new fish in a 20Gal for a couple of weeks....

I think i'm supposed to do it 4-6 weeks..if I understood his suggestion correctly. I just felt bad for the babies because the wild guys ignore them. :-( It was also hard to see the adult in solitary confinement. Maybe a terrible gamble.

Trevor W
01-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Fair enough I just thought that perhaps he may of thought that you just dumped the fish in there. Yea a longer quarantine in most cases is best but atleast you quarantined the fish for a couple weeks instead of just throwing it in there and then posting in the disease forum like we all see so very often.
Also no offence was meant to Northwoods Discus just thought he may have mis-read your post.

Keith Perkins
01-08-2014, 12:20 PM
It's advisable to put one of your previous fish in with the new one rather than putting the new fish in with all your previous fish as well. Better one sick fish if there's a problem rather than a whole tank full.

myofibroblast
01-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Fair enough I just thought that perhaps he may of thought that you just dumped the fish in there. Yea a longer quarantine in most cases is best but atleast you quarantined the fish for a couple weeks instead of just throwing it in there and then posting in the disease forum like we all see so very often.
Also no offence was meant to Northwoods Discus just thought he may have mis-read your post.

Yeah, I have fallen prey to impatience and sympathy for my little stunted babies. They just want some love! I hope I don't have to post in the disease forum (crossing fingers) and watch them more closely...not that observation now will be preventive, hopefully just catch early signs of illness. I noticed this AM the new domestic adult is still shaking once in a while, I thought it was just the shock of the transfer yesterday night when I put it in. I'll check the water parameters tonight when I get home. :(

Northwoods Discus
01-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Oops I'm so sorry I missed the two week statement. My bad. I do like your wilds. Hope all goes well with them.
Bill

myofibroblast
01-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Oops I'm so sorry I missed the two week statement. My bad. I do like your wilds. Hope all goes well with them.
Bill

No problem! I like them all...the wilds for their history (being abducted from their native streams/lakes) and the domestic ones for their personalities. The domestic babies will nibble my finger and one of them lets me stroke its side (since I'm imprinted as "food source"). They may be stunted, but they are bursting with personality! :o

myofibroblast
01-09-2014, 02:55 AM
Unrest in the discus family. I came home to discover one of my two wild blue discus fish hiding under a giant anubias leaf. I observed for an hour, only to discover the new domestic discus I introduced yesterday night bullying the crap out of one of the wild blues! It's ignoring the other wild Heckels, and it has found a way to separate the two wild blues that used to be best friends. I'll give it a few days, if the bullying doesn't stop I'll have to take out the domestic adult discus. The video shows the domestic adult being mean to the targeted wild blue discus. I also found a possible explanation for the shivering (seems to have increased compared to yesterday night when I dumped it in the tank)...I found a small healing gash on the domestic discus' forehead. If it starts to look worrisome, I'll put some melafix in the water. Right now I'm just going to leave it alone.

http://youtu.be/4pvDvCwl8sw

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag472/myofibroblast/discuswound_zps476c185a.jpg (http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/myofibroblast/media/discuswound_zps476c185a.jpg.html)

Trevor W
01-09-2014, 03:21 AM
Don't put any meds in! That "gash" you are refering to is nothing that I would be concerned with. In my opinion the shaking or shimmying that you are seeing is telling me that the domestic turq is wanting to breed with on one the wild blues. Looks to be probably a male due to the aggresion towards that other blue and in wanting to split the 2 blues apart. It even looks like it is starting to pick at stuff in a cleaning manner. The only real way to tell if it is a male is to see a successful spawn. But I would guess that this is just typical premating behaviour.

myofibroblast
01-09-2014, 04:48 AM
Thanks. Just vacuumed the sand a bit so I can spook the domestic turq to reset its little aggression (thanks!...wasn't sure what the name was). I just did a search on pre-mating behavior and you're right, definitely a possibility. He (or she) is "shimmying" really often around the wild blue and separating his other wild blue friend, and I don't know if the separated blue will handle being torn from its friend. I noticed its oviduct or spermatic duct on the underbelly sticking out after I observed the domestic turq pooping to make sure the poop is still the same. Good luck to this guy/gal if s/he wants to mate, because the wilds are not having it. No means no!

myofibroblast
01-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Don't put any meds in! That "gash" you are refering to is nothing that I would be concerned with. In my opinion the shaking or shimmying that you are seeing is telling me that the domestic turq is wanting to breed with on one the wild blues. Looks to be probably a male due to the aggresion towards that other blue and in wanting to split the 2 blues apart. It even looks like it is starting to pick at stuff in a cleaning manner. The only real way to tell if it is a male is to see a successful spawn. But I would guess that this is just typical premating behaviour.

Trevor W, looks like domestic turq is claiming the rosewood branches. I spotted the turq staking out the rosewood area this AM...sorry for the low light but I didn't want to spook the other sleeping fish.

http://youtu.be/EUgwqqwecow

Trevor W
01-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Well like I said before this is all just my personal opinions so please don't take it as gospel for I am not a well known popular member on here who could be labeled as anything other than an "internet expert" LOL These are just my thoughts from watching your videos and basing my opinions on my own personal experiences. Take from it what you will. perhaps I'll just shut up now and remember why I very rarely post replies... Best of luck with the fish..... One last thing I will suggest is that you do your tank and wilds justice and ditch the stunted fish...or keep them to learn from either way take care
:D

Trevor

clkjay
01-09-2014, 08:13 PM
h

myofibroblast
01-09-2014, 08:18 PM
One last thing I will suggest is that you do your tank and wilds justice and ditch the stunted fish...
:D

Trevor

No way, they're the most personable ones! And they're better than the corydoras as clean up crew, they can get to crevices I didn't think a disc shaped fish could or would get into.

Trevor W
01-09-2014, 08:22 PM
No way, they're the most personable ones! And they're better than the corydoras as clean up crew, they can get to crevices I didn't think a disc shaped fish could or would get into.

LOL fair enough as long as you enjoy them and learn from them then thats all that matters. I just love the look of those wilds and than you see the little stunted guys and gals swim by and its well....I could give you an analogy about seeing a beautiful woman and then a fat man in a speedo but the full analogy might not be appropriate for a public forum...but you get the idea lol

dirtyplants
01-09-2014, 08:28 PM

No matter how big they still have potential. If they don't grow as big they can make up for size by being clever.

myofibroblast
01-09-2014, 08:33 PM
No matter how big they still have potential. If they don't grow as big they can make up for size by being clever.

I enjoy them already...plus one of them lets me touch it with my fingers. Plus they all come up to nibble my hand every time I'm in there adjusting things or cleaning...unlike the wilds, those guys just disappear into the black background. I can sort of understand that, given that they've been abducted and are being held captive.