PDA

View Full Version : How long (time) does it take a Discus to reach max size?

Tankster
01-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Just curious at what age I should be comfortable moving fish from the grow tank to the display tank and not have to worry about stunting growth.

sholvey
01-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Once they get to 4in they are "typically" past their critical stage. I tend to wait until they are 5+and transfer them.

dennin7418
01-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Why is growth stunted in fish who go into the show tank early?

Skip
01-10-2014, 11:36 AM

they don't..

fish in the first 4-6 months.. really needs lots of food thru out day.. and lots of water changes..

so its easier to have them in a barebottom tank..

newbies think they get 2" fish.. put it in a planted tank with other fish.. or community fish..
and they will NOT stunt..

its just easier to get alot of growth in barebottom THEN move them

John_Nicholson
01-10-2014, 11:52 AM

Water quality...I guess I should say lack of water quality. Growing discus out to their full potential requires large amounts of high protein food and clean water. Very, very hard to do in a planted tank. Most people start out that way and after massive failures they change to BB for growouts.

-john

koko
01-10-2014, 04:14 PM
First time post.
I bought ten 3" discus back in December 2012 kept in a 90 gallon lightly plant tank with gravel. Since then I have to treat them 3 times with Med many time with salt.
Finally three month ago I remove most of the gravel and now the smallest two is about 4" the rest is 5 to 5.75".
I am not sure it will grow any more, I wish I have start with a BB.

Tankster
01-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Very informative and helpful but... You all said the size not the time!!! Skip did mention "first 4-6 months"; however, I've never grown out a discus and have no idea how long it takes to get them to 4 or 5 inches, so don't know if he meant 4-6 months to get to 4-5 inches or not?
I am trying to figure out how long it takes to get them to the acceptable transfer size because I want to set a timeline, mentally, as to how long before I get to see them swimming around in the 240;)

Thanks,
Greg

sholvey
01-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Well, how big a fish are you getting? 2.5", 3", 4" Hard to tell you a time frame if we don't know the size of fish you are getting. If I missed what size you are getting, my apologies. To give you an idea, a 2.5" fish took me somewhere between 6-9 months before I transferred.

Tankster
01-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Well, how big a fish are you getting? 2.5", 3", 4" Hard to tell you a time frame if we don't know the size of fish you are getting. If I missed what size you are getting, my apologies. To give you an idea, a 2.5" fish took me somewhere between 6-9 months before I transferred.

Perfect, thanks sholvey, that is extremely helpful. I guess the best way to ask the question would have been to ask people to share their grow out experiences.

sholvey
01-11-2014, 11:55 AM
IME, I want to say from fry to 5-6" can take roughly a year.

sholvey
01-11-2014, 12:01 PM
This thread may give you an idea too. Hope it helps!
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98703-Stendker-Fire-Red

Skip
01-11-2014, 12:53 PM
IME, I want to say from fry to 5-6" can take roughly a year.

Yes..

buy some adult fish.. and u won't have to worry about it

Tankster
01-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Yes..

buy some adult fish.. and u won't have to worry about it

20 adults at between $150 and $250 per fish = $3,000 - $5,000. I'm not rich so will have to earn the beauty I display in my tank rather than buy it.

Skip
01-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Yes. But u can't stunt them.. and u know exactly what u get..

all newbie go through the "buy small amd grow out to 7" cuz its cheaper" phase..

Experience is best teacher.. good luck on ur path

sholvey
01-11-2014, 01:32 PM
If I remember correctly, you are going to do a biotope in the 240 right? Just keep in mind, that that tank may sit on idle for 6 months until you grow the fish out (provided that you buy a 2.5-3" fish). I know you are anxious to get this tank going, but it will take some patients. My opinion, if you are going to put them in a planted tank, wait until they are 5+ my 2 cents. When I first started, I put my juvies in a planted tank and failed they were stunted. I grew some out in a BB to 5+ in and put them in a 125 gal planted. They are now 6-7in. and doing well. I am getting ready to start a 100 gal biotope and have been growing my new set of juvies out since June. They were 2.5"+ and now 5+ and I feel they are ready for a planted tank. I want you to be successful and happy with some big beautiful discus that you can enjoy for years. But, also realize it will take a little time to grow them in a BB tank. Again good luck Greg, I am sure you will do well.

Bill63SG
01-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Perfect, thanks sholvey, that is extremely helpful. I guess the best way to ask the question would have been to ask people to share their grow out experiences.

Do you have only one grow-out?I move mine up in stages.20-29-75-135.But that is aso growing out spawns.When I first started it was from a 29 to a 55 to a 150.

John_Nicholson
01-11-2014, 01:34 PM
MOst will be grown at between 9 and 18 months depending on the fish.

-john

Tankster
01-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Yes. But u can't stunt them.. and u know exactly what u get..

all newbie go through the "buy small amd grow out to 7" cuz its cheaper" phase..

Experience is best teacher.. good luck on ur path

Yes, cheaper, but in my case, also rewarding. What you are suggesting, to me, would be like going to the college admissions office, writing a check for 4 years of an education, and being handed a degree. You learn nothing and have zero appreciation for what you have.

I want to earn this and be proud of what I have I my tank. Will I fail? Yes. Will I learn from my failures? Yes.

I appreciate any further "constructive" criticism you have to offer.

Skip
01-11-2014, 02:51 PM
it just takes discus sooooo long to grow and mature.. and alot of care is needed..

i used to be same as u..

but after doing it for awhile going to a NADA show.. i won't every buy juvies again..

as i said experiance is best teacher.. just jump in the pool and start swimming..

ps.. come to nada austin in JUNE!! you will open your eyes

Tankster
01-11-2014, 02:59 PM
If I remember correctly, you are going to do a biotope in the 240 right? Just keep in mind, that that tank may sit on idle for 6 months until you grow the fish out (provided that you buy a 2.5-3" fish). I know you are anxious to get this tank going, but it will take some patients. My opinion, if you are going to put them in a planted tank, wait until they are 5+ my 2 cents. When I first started, I put my juvies in a planted tank and failed they were stunted. I grew some out in a BB to 5+ in and put them in a 125 gal planted. They are now 6-7in. and doing well. I am getting ready to start a 100 gal biotope and have been growing my new set of juvies out since June. They were 2.5"+ and now 5+ and I feel they are ready for a planted tank. I want you to be successful and happy with some big beautiful discus that you can enjoy for years. But, also realize it will take a little time to grow them in a BB tank. Again good luck Greg, I am sure you will do well.

Thanks Sean,

Waiting to move them in is going to be the hardest part. The flip side to that is it will give me time to get the biotope just right and work through getting water parameters consistent.

I'll shoot for 5" before I move them over. I think, for my first purchase, starting with 2.5-3 would be safe.? That's about the size of a silver dollar. By no means out of the woods but maybe just a little more hearty than a 1 or a 1.5. Discus Hans, who is just a short drive up the road from me, has some 2.5's and 3's from between $30 and $50. His fish are hearty and disease free.

Thanks again for the long and thoughtful response.

Tankster
01-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Do you have only one grow-out?I move mine up in stages.20-29-75-135.But that is aso growing out spawns.When I first started it was from a 29 to a 55 to a 150.

Hi Bill,

This is the first I am hearing about multiple grow out tanks. I was planning on using a BB 55 for my grow out tank and max 5 at a time. Do I need to reconsider this game plan?

Tankster
01-11-2014, 03:10 PM
it just takes discus sooooo long to grow and mature.. and alot of care is needed..

i used to be same as u..

but after doing it for awhile going to a NADA show.. i won't every buy juvies again..

as i said experiance is best teacher.. just jump in the pool and start swimming..

ps.. come to nada austin in JUNE!! you will open your eyes

Thanks Skip, I appreciate you are trying to save me some heartache but I need to learn to crawl before I can fly (to the NADA) ;)

dghby
01-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks Sean,

Waiting to move them in is going to be the hardest part. The flip side to that is it will give me time to get the biotope just right and work through getting water parameters consistent.

I'll shoot for 5" before I move them over. I think, for my first purchase, starting with 2.5-3 would be safe.? That's about the size of a silver dollar. By no means out of the woods but maybe just a little more hearty than a 1 or a 1.5. Discus Hans, who is just a short drive up the road from me, has some 2.5's and 3's from between $30 and $50. His fish are hearty and disease free.

starting with healthy Juvies is half the battle in growing out, the fact that you are buying them from Hans gives you a big advantage right off the bat.
John hit on a big factor "depending the fish".
I have been growing out 2.5 - 3 inch Discus since the middle of September.
at this stage ( almost 4 months later) of the 5
I have 1 at about 5 inches
2 at about 4 inches
and 2 at about 3.5 inches.
all eating the same food being fed 5-6 times a day.
just my latest experience for you.

sholvey
01-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks Sean,

No problem. I would go with 2.5-3" since it's your first go at it. I have Hans fish and you will not be disappointed. That blue diamond in my avatar I bought from him. It was 2.5" and now is around 5.

Tankster
01-11-2014, 03:50 PM
No problem. I would go with 2.5-3" since it's your first go at it. I have Hans fish and you will not be disappointed. That blue diamond in my avatar I bought from him. It was 2.5" and now is around 5.

Nice! I can't wait to have one of my grow outs as my avatar. You guys will not have to look at my ugly face any longer!

Bill63SG
01-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Hi Bill,

This is the first I am hearing about multiple grow out tanks. I was planning on using a BB 55 for my grow out tank and max 5 at a time. Do I need to reconsider this game plan?

Depends,IMO,how many fish and what size your starting with.I personally would do 6-7,prefferably 10.I know $ can be and issue,but alot of times,if you do things fairly well,you can end up with a runt or 2.Now out of your 5,you've got 3 decent fish.Pic of turk in center was one I was able to do this with.Started out with 12 and worked down to 6.Surounding fish are all 6"+.5-6 2" fish can do well in a 55,we've all started out like that,but you could throw a divider in there,so it dose'nt fel so open to them,still giving you the benifits of the larger water voulume.
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/Bill63SG/MovingDay/m_movingday008_zpse7cfce4e.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Bill63SG/media/MovingDay/m_movingday008_zpse7cfce4e.jpg.html)

Bill63SG
01-11-2014, 04:08 PM
starting with healthy Juvies is half the battle in growing out, the fact that you are buying them from Hans gives you a big advantage right off the bat.
John hit on a big factor "depending the fish".
I have been growing out 2.5 - 3 inch Discus since the middle of September.
at this stage ( almost 4 months later) of the 5
I have 1 at about 5 inches
2 at about 4 inches
and 2 at about 3.5 inches.
all eating the same food being fed 5-6 times a day.
just my latest experience for you.

Perfect example of what I was trying to state.

Hamlet
01-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Water quality...I guess I should say lack of water quality. Growing discus out to their full potential requires large amounts of high protein food and clean water. Very, very hard to do in a planted tank. Most people start out that way and after massive failures they change to BB for growouts.

-john

John, would 68% protein in a feed be high enough for discus?
Nick

John_Nicholson
01-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Yes.

-john

John, would 68% protein in a feed be high enough for discus?
Nick

NAB
01-14-2014, 01:29 PM
I am new to fishkeeping in general and unfortunately have already learned some hard lessons....lost a few discus to what I would gather was bacterial. Currently treating the remaining ones with Furan 2....so yeah, mistakes will happen but hopefully you can limit them. I am already changing my approach to discus keeping and no doubt will continue to do so.

Learning the illnesses and symptoms will take more time but at least I can limit the external variables as much as possible. This website has been integral, along with some PM's and in the short time I have been here I have learned a lot.

I am thinking along the same lines as you regarding getting some 2.5 to 3 inchers to continue my learning on. They certainly don't hurt the pocketbook (upfront) as much as the bigger ones do, and I need to see if I can just keep them alive and healthy. I lost a $150 GLSS, a $95 RSG and a $60 Marlboro because of my inexperience and not seeing the signs of illness early enough. My wife figured into this equation as well as she wouldn't let me take out the plastic plants and the fish were in her computer room so I did not see them other than feeding times and water changes.

Make sure you get to know what is and what isn't normal behavior for them. I need to learn this as well.

Good luck!

Tankster
01-14-2014, 05:46 PM
I am new to fishkeeping in general and unfortunately have already learned some hard lessons....lost a few discus to what I would gather was bacterial. Currently treating the remaining ones with Furan 2....so yeah, mistakes will happen but hopefully you can limit them. I am already changing my approach to discus keeping and no doubt will continue to do so.

Learning the illnesses and symptoms will take more time but at least I can limit the external variables as much as possible. This website has been integral, along with some PM's and in the short time I have been here I have learned a lot.

I am thinking along the same lines as you regarding getting some 2.5 to 3 inchers to continue my learning on. They certainly don't hurt the pocketbook (upfront) as much as the little ones do, and I need to see if I can just keep them alive and healthy. I lost a $150 GLSS, a $95 RSG and a $60 Marlboro because of my inexperience and not seeing the signs of illness early enough. My wife figured into this equation as well as she wouldn't let me take out the plastic plants and the fish were in her computer room so I did not see them other than feeding times and water changes.

Make sure you get to know what is and what isn't normal behavior for them. I need to learn this as well.

Good luck!

Thanks NAB. Sorry about your losses. I take every sad story I hear, like yours, to heart. I feel very fortunate that I found this forum, and discus Hans, (he is how I found this forum) before I jumped in. I have only been a member since December but have been lurking for much longer. I have gained so much valuable information from this forum, I can't begin to calculate how much. I almost felt like I was stealing, hence the Homesteader membership. There is a GREAT group of Discusheads here that are almost evangelists for the proper care of these amazing fish. I feel like I might actually succeed my first go round, emphasis on might.

Again, thanks to everyone for the great replies to this thread.