PDA

View Full Version : What small schooling fish works well and is hardy for a 120g?

we4wieners
01-10-2014, 04:02 PM
I have a 120g with clown loaches, corys, and 5 roseline barbs. Id like to add a few more roselines. However, I was wondering what you guys suggest as a smaller schooling fish. I love the cardinals, but I am fearful of their hardiness. What do you guys suggest.....harlequins, cherry's? My main fish, of course will be Discus.

I was really wanting several discus, a group of roselines, and a larger group of something smaller.

myofibroblast
01-10-2014, 04:10 PM
My experience with (wild) cardinals is that they are very hardy, and hungry. Why not give them a try?

nikond70s
01-10-2014, 04:56 PM
if u want a nice tight schooling fish. rummynose is the way to go. prolly the best small schooling fish out there. pretty hardy, and the redness on their noise can tell you if the water quality is good or not.

wild4discus
01-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Probably the best two choices just mentioned above. Cardinals and rummynoses handle discus temps well. Rummynose tetras are also good indicators of water quality. When water quality is good, their noses are bright red and when water quality isn't up to par, their noses turn a pale red.

Tankster
01-10-2014, 05:14 PM
I would love to be able to put a school of 50 of these in the 240 display. Seems that the water temp would be at the very high end of their tolerance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPSr81Yaueo

I know it's not the most glamorous fish but they are just beautiful and school extremely well.

SortSay2003
01-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks Nikon and Wild for the information on the rummy nose. Will have to look at them for future tank mates. Right now just have discus, neon tetras, and cherry barb.

DonMD
01-10-2014, 06:50 PM
if u want a nice tight schooling fish. rummynose is the way to go. prolly the best small schooling fish out there. pretty hardy, and the redness on their noise can tell you if the water quality is good or not.

This has been my experience, too. I've had great luck with rummy nose, and I find that they are very hardy!

OC Discus
01-10-2014, 09:38 PM
I just added a group of blue rams and two pairs formed. Removed the others after the pairs formed. They are natural tankmates with discus and have fared better in this tank than other community tanks I've had. Cardinals also are a great addition.

we4wieners
01-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Gonna' go with cardinals because I already have a small school of roselines. I like the contrast between the roselines and cardinals. Are you aware of any online distributor who can sell 40 hoping 30 will make it.

spiffyfish
01-10-2014, 11:51 PM
Freshwatertropicalfishonline.com which is snookn21 a sponsor here

we4wieners
01-11-2014, 12:34 AM
Freshwatertropicalfishonline.com which is snookn21 a sponsor here

Thanks...I purchased livestock from snookn21 years ago, will certainlt hit him up again.

myofibroblast
01-11-2014, 11:33 PM
Yay! I hope you enjoy your cardinals! 30 or 40 will make a fabulous shoal! Good luck!