PDA

View Full Version : I need to stop visiting the lfs...

myofibroblast
01-11-2014, 11:28 PM
I finally converted my old 40g planted aquarium to a QT tank today after transferring the rest of the albino corys to the bigger tank. While getting some Hikari frozen blood worms from the LFS today, I noticed my two wild Heckels' siblings are still at the store...price drastically reduced and no takers for weeks. :-( They're quite roughed up, for sure, and looking sad but since my two wild Heckels aren't best buddies with each other, I figure adding some of their siblings/cohorts will make them feel better. If these wild Heckels survive quarantine, I'll get them into the big tank... Right now the new purchase are a bit...shocked...by the new environment.

http://youtu.be/28_sukK_xc8

rdiscus
01-11-2014, 11:40 PM
What ? don't get it ... Why your 2 wilds still at store? what shocked you?

myofibroblast
01-11-2014, 11:45 PM
No, the two wild heckels are at home, in my 125g. Their siblings have been at the LFS for quite a few weeks (2-3 months?) now because no one wanted to buy them, I just bought three of them today (see video...in 40g QT tank currently). I know everyone here frowns on discounted LFS fish, but I just couldn't bear to see them orphaned. If one or two survive after QT, they get to join the rest of the family in the 125g. Sorry that was confusing ramble on my part.

Keith Perkins
01-12-2014, 12:00 AM
After reading the thread I went back and watched the video. I have to say I was expecting to see a lot worse based on your posts. A little TLC and I'd hope all 3 make it to the main tank.

dirtyplants
01-12-2014, 12:45 AM
I would be happy no matter where the wilds came from.

Trevor W
01-12-2014, 01:51 AM
Nothing wrong with those.! Little tlc and getting them into a good routine and your set. Beautiful fish. look to be a good size aswell what have they been getting fed at the lfs? And how well were they eating for them? Best of luck with them!

myofibroblast
01-12-2014, 04:45 AM
The LFS was feeding frozen bloodworms, frozen brineshrimp. Flakes. Earlier tonight, I tried a cube of Hikari frozen bloodworms (as a treat for the trauma of moving and temporary housing), and the three ate the entire cube. They didn't rush to the top to attack the cube, instead waited for the cube to thaw out and the fbw to scatter the bottom. Then, fiesta off the floor! I think after a few days after they get used to me they'll rush up to attack the cube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

John_Nicholson
01-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Wanted to add that since 99.9% of all heckels are wild caught and then sorted by size. The chance of them being siblings is quite low.

-john

myofibroblast
01-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Yea, they're likely unrelated. I use the term loosely, but probably shouldn't since there are serious breeders/pedigree gurus on this website! Hence sibling/cohorts...I probably shouldn't call the community of discus in my tank a family either...hehe.

Melissa
01-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Good luck with them, they look beautiful. Keep us posted on their progress! It's not often a discus comes out of a LFS looking that good. Fingers crossed they do well for you.

myofibroblast
01-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks Melissa! Hope so, the lfs takes good care of their fish in general. The three are getting acclimated and are moving about the barren QT tank a lot more this AM...exploring their boundaries. They're still pretty pale compared to when I saw them in the store, hopefully with time their emotion bars will come back.

GeauxDiscus
01-12-2014, 07:20 PM
What size are they? I agree - they don't normally come from the LFS very big. I had an LFS here try to pawn off 3" discus as adults.

myofibroblast
01-12-2014, 10:40 PM
What size are they? I agree - they don't normally come from the LFS very big. I had an LFS here try to pawn off 3" discus as adults.

The small one is 3", the two larger are about 4". I definitely think they are young adults/teenagers just like their two cohorts who are already in the big tank! (Well, they eat like juveniles....they are already racing up to the block of Hikari frozen blood worm today.)

GeauxDiscus
01-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Well, good luck. I bet you can get some more good growth out of them if you just change that water and let them pig out. :)

BODYDUB
01-13-2014, 04:00 PM
I think they look pretty good for LFS quality...........

myofibroblast
01-13-2014, 08:03 PM

I like to support my local small businesses. Plus it's fun to explore the other fish that I will not keep (yet). If I can tolerate the aesthetics of RO units in the house, I would totally try my hands at marine aquariums with live corals!

The wild heckels from the LFS are starting to show their emotion bars again 24hr into the QT tank (yay!). Now that their fins are fanned out and they are coming to the front, I noticed one of them has a speck of white at the tip of an anal fin spine. I've raised the temp to 88F and will observe what happens in 88F water in the next couple of weeks. Staying away from salt or meds in the meantime.

http://youtu.be/TMbWhXGPKAU

Nick Klimkowski
01-13-2014, 10:48 PM

Yea, they are not that bad for LFS, good luck with them.

ct3737
01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Great looking fish, I always feel bad when there are some left in there for a long time. That is how most of mine found thier way into my tanks, Im always like no one else wants them and then I end up taking them home the second or third time I see them in there.