PDA

View Full Version : Size of sponge filter and questions

Miamiheat
01-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Hello,
I'd like to purchase some sponge filters for my tanks (approx. 65 gal each).
Wondering if there is a specific size i should be getting.

Question:

I have read several times that discus fry are attracted to dark colours: but most sponge filters are black ==> does that make sense?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Hello and Welcome to SD.

Here is a link to where some people buy theirs in the US. I am not though if they will ship Internationally, they might.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/hydro-sponge_filters.html

As far as size, it will depend if you have room for one or two in your tank. You can't have too much when it comes to sponge filters. If you do 50% water changes daily, you should be able to use just one of the Hydro 4 or 5. You can try the fine or coarse sponges. The coarse can breakdown a lot in the water when you try and remove them to clean them. I use a large zip-lock bag over mine when removing from the water to avoid all the debris from getting back in the tank.

Miamiheat
01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Thanks!

Trier20
01-21-2014, 03:37 AM
I prefer the course over the fine. I've had the opposite results where the pro filters hold up better for me than the regular sponge filters. As far as what sponge to use, I usually do a larger sponge that what is needed. Ex: for a 20g tank I'll use one for a 40g tank. For a 90 I use two hydro 5. All tanks over 30g I almost always use two sponges. HTH

John_Nicholson
01-21-2014, 10:10 AM
In my 75 gallon tanks I normally run 2 hydro IV's. I have both the fine and the coarse. I have no clue which one I like better...LOL.

-john