PDA

View Full Version : Training discus to eat new food

mmdiscus1
01-23-2014, 02:44 PM
As some of you may or may not know, i am new to discus and just got my new fish couple days ago. Thanks to community here i am figuring it out.

How do you make discus eat food? Or whenyou introduce new food to their diet, new dry food, new granules, or new BH mix, whatever how do you do it, and how long it takes for them to accept it. Please share your experience, and steps in detail, it will be of a great benefit to newbies like myself. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BODYDUB
01-23-2014, 03:30 PM
For me it always takes a couple of days for them to accept new food. On the first day my discus would grab it then spit it out. After about 3 days they started to eat it and now eagerly accept it....................

trungnguyen
01-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Feed them the new food a bit in the morning, after 15-20 minutes, if they don't eat that, suck everything out. Doing that for few days, they will eat new food eventually because they are the most hungry in the morning. However, still feed them normal in the afternoon and evening...it worked for me...
HTH

Trung.

mmdiscus1
01-24-2014, 01:33 AM
How do you feed dry dry food, granules, pellets- do you leave it floating on water, or u stick your finger inside tank with dry food to let it fall down?

ericatdallas
01-24-2014, 04:10 AM
For me, I let the water movement force flakes down. I use sinking pellets. I think the reason I switched to sinking was that it worked for the plecos. Also, I vaguely remember the floating pellets weren't eaten (probably due to taste because they didn't seem to mind food at the surface ) and that's why I put them in my BH mix.

Miamiheat
01-24-2014, 11:39 AM
I recently changed my pellets and have noticed that my new pellets are quite small and seem less appealing to the fish, especially to the biggest one. So i keep a small plastic cup near the tank and i put a little bit of tank water and drop pellets there and let them soak. Much like cereal they will suck water and get bigger: i just pour some it all back in the tank and the fish are much more interested like that.

mmdiscus1
01-24-2014, 11:45 AM
My are sera and tetra granules, they sink very fast, id rather they didnt think that fast to the bottom,, esp sera granules are larger that tetras and they sink much faster, fish cant even catch them

mmdiscus1
01-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Btw, od you guys turn off filter why feeding? There is quite a movement on my water top, granules are carried away all around the tank, and when sinking down they also do follow current,, i have one external canister eheim 2217 and thats it.