PDA

View Full Version : peppering and background colour

Miamiheat
01-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Hi,
Would a white background (and sides) be an efficient way to reduce peppering on my Discus? Or would it be too aggressive in terms of brightness?

John_Nicholson
01-24-2014, 11:38 AM
All of my tanks are painted white.

-john

Miamiheat
01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
All of my tanks are painted white.

-john

Thank you John, do you use any intense lighting in those tanks?

John_Nicholson
01-24-2014, 11:50 AM
I have several 4 foot florescent lights in the fish house. Some of the tanks are right under the lights and some are not. The fish get use to it. Also my fish house is never completely dark so there is no big shock to the fish when the lights are turned on in the morning.

-john

Fundulopanchax
01-24-2014, 12:45 PM
There is often debate about the effects of substrate and background color on peppering. I have pigeon bloods from Stendker and Kenny, and a few that I have raised for several generations. In my system, with white sand and white background none of the discus has any significant peppering, nearly all have no peppering at all. When I try darker backgrounds then all of the discus develop peppering over a week or two, at least on the front of the face, and with most of them, scattered very lightly along the bodies as well. The longer the darker background is present the more peppering develops. I am always amazed at how fast peppering disappears when I change back to a white background, usually only 2-3 days.

Some of my experimentation has revolved at finding a happy combination that allows red pigeons and high coverage orange koi angels to be together with optimal coloration. The discus don't tolerate any darkness in substrate or background without peppering. The angels need dark substrate and background to show intense coloration but the best ones still show almost as intense coloration with the white background and substrate. So I go white.

Ron

Miamiheat
01-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Thank you both - very informative ==> off to buy white paint :)