PDA

View Full Version : New to the site. New to discus. Asian or German? Reputable sellers near chicago?

Brandon3000
01-30-2014, 12:51 AM
Hey guys, I'm Brandon and I'm quite new to the site. Been kinda browsing it for a while but just now decided to create an account.
So, I am looking to get into keeping Discus soon but I want to have as much knowledge in my arsenal as I can before I jump into anything. I always hear about Asian vs German discus (and if this is bringing up a huge controversial topic in this hobby-- please let me know). What are the differences? Are there pros and cons to any of them? Are they purely cosmetic differences? Is one hardier than the other? Any information would be great.
Also, I am looking to pick out about 5 Discus for my 75 gallon tank soon and was wondering if there are any reputable breeders in the Chicago area?

SortSay2003
01-30-2014, 12:59 AM
Hi Brandon,

Welcome to SD and hope you have a great beginner experience with them. There are actually quite a few in Chicago. SOme of them are sponsors here. You should check them out:) For the ones not in Chicago, they ship. As for your ? regarding Asian vs Germany.....I have no clue. I just stick with my favorite supplier; Kenny's Discus (sponsor here). That's all I need:) Enjoy.

Skip
01-30-2014, 01:09 AM
Don't worry. . If u don't know difference now.. jus find some fish u like from a sponsor. . Can chive on

myofibroblast
01-30-2014, 01:11 AM
BMW v Toyota?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ryan
01-30-2014, 01:14 AM
German discus tend to be more traditional color varieties: turquoise, cobalts, blue diamonds, snakeskins, traditional pigeons, etc. Asian breeders tend to chase after the "next big thing," which has given rise to all sorts of stuff: intricate spotting, albino fish, new pigeon types, and a bunch of unusual body shapes. So yes, the biggest difference would be the appearance of the fish, and that's totally a personal preference. I like to think of it as traditional vs. trendy. Neither is wrong or bad, it's just your taste. Some will tell you that German fish grow larger than Asian fish, and while I have seen some monster German fish, I've raised a few Asian varieties that were every bit of 7" and thick. They were no slouches. A lot of that is in how you raise them.

You also have to realize that fish from different parts of the world have been exposed to different bacterias and pathogens in their local water supplies, so mixing fish from different parts of the world will expose them to things that they're not immune to and could cause disease problems. It's the same reason you're advised not to drink the tap water when you travel to a new country. You'll read a lot of stories about not mixing sources of discus and this is why. That doesn't mean that you can't mix sources, you just have to follow a strict (and lengthy) quarantine. If you're getting all your fish at once, it's best to stick with a single supplier to avoid this problem.

Josie of Chicago Discus is local to you. I'd recommend checking out her Sponsor forum and seeing if she has strains that interest you.

astrochick00
01-30-2014, 02:05 AM
It's the same reason you're advised not to drink the tap water when you travel to a new country. You'll read a lot of stories about not mixing sources of discus and this is why.
Great analogy!

Bill63SG
01-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Brandon,if your looking for a variety,you cant do wrong by Josie,she's on the north side of Chicago.Im in Naperville,and have some red turks im selling.

Chicago Discus
01-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Hey Brandon,
Welcome to Simply Discus, we are located on the northwest side of Chicago near O'Hare airport if you would like to stop by and take a look and get an idea of what we have available. My cell number is 312-388-1143.......Josie

Keith Perkins
01-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Brandon,if your looking for a variety,you cant do wrong by Josie,she's on the north side of Chicago.Im in Naperville,and have some red turks im selling.

Bill's RTs would definitely be worth a look.

Allwin
01-30-2014, 12:04 PM
+1

Bill's RTs would definitely be worth a look.

Tazalanche
02-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Josie of Chicago Discus is local to you. I'd recommend checking out her Sponsor forum and seeing if she has strains that interest you.

Hey Brandon,
Welcome to Simply Discus, we are located on the northwest side of Chicago near O'Hare airport if you would like to stop by and take a look and get an idea of what we have available. My cell number is 312-388-1143.......Josie
I've bought from Josie twice in the last year & had them shipped to me in rural Tennessee (no 10AM delivery guarantees). No complaints. Superb packaging for shipping in cold weather. Great looking discus.

If I lived as close to her as you do, I would be at her shop, buying discus, at least once per month. ;)

Rudustin
02-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Welcome Brandon to SD. I have both asian and german discus. I have some tanks mixed with both. Color varieties seem to be coming from Asia and German discus are more traditional but I also think that is an big generalization. I agree with everyone else that has responded to your posting. Good luck and enjoy regardless of which kind you choose. Rufus

aquadon2222
02-22-2014, 02:10 AM
I'd say go with Kenny, Hans, and Mike at Central Ohio and you can't go wrong. I've been burned by a company called RFI in Indiana. You probably won't find much at an LFS.