PDA

View Full Version : bio media

skie
01-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Does bacteria die after the bio media goes dry?

Skip
01-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Does bacteria die after the bio media goes dry?

yes

Magoo40
01-30-2014, 05:49 PM
yes

Can it be reused, or do you have to start with new media?

Skip
01-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Can it be reused,?

yes of course.. it will take time to RE Seed it..

do you have to start with new media?

nope..

Magoo40
01-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Great thanks

skie
01-31-2014, 05:32 AM
Thank you

Bill63SG
01-31-2014, 09:00 AM
If you can,freeze it next time.Al had a thread on sponge filters,freezing didn't preserve 100%,but was siginificant,and I cant remember it all,and cant seem to find it,it also showed,on sponges,that they had a better start up even when just left to dry.

Elliots
01-31-2014, 09:03 AM
The BB can also die without food. I do not know if this works because I never had a filter that I was not using that was not new, I would put a little fish food in the filter regularly if I were not using it.

Bill63SG
01-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Couldn't find Al's thread,but found one of mine where I copied it to,so almost as good.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?102882-Freezing-Sponge-Filter&highlight=freezing+sponge

Wes
02-01-2014, 12:33 AM
He you go Bill.

HI Guys,
I wrote about this several years ago...You can actually Freeze your sponges when you thaw them they'll start up pretty quick.....as in days not the weeks it normally takes for new sponges to cycle....I did some experiments on it. Also even just air drying seems to allow a quicker re-start. Just don't rinse them before storage.
alternative.... if this is a short term shut down... throw them in another stocked tank as Larry suggested or if you have none...Just throw them in a pail of water...with air and feed the sponges with some ammonia, miracle grow etc.

hth,
al

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?85979-How-do-I-store-sponge-filters post#5

Intresting one by Al. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?85979-How-do-I-store-sponge-filters

pastry
02-01-2014, 12:39 PM
great info. what about if you have a canister with poret foam for the bio-media but then the canister goes to crap and you have to wait 3-4 days for a new one... will the media (without filter running but still full with tank water in the canister) be fine for 3-4 days or no?

Wes
02-01-2014, 03:51 PM
great info. what about if you have a canister with poret foam for the bio-media but then the canister goes to crap and you have to wait 3-4 days for a new one... will the media (without filter running but still full with tank water in the canister) be fine for 3-4 days or no?

Is there anyway to put a air stone in it this way it moves the water that would save alot of the bio and vent off nasty gases. Maybey run air hose through intake or out flow port and put air stone as close to the bottom of the canister as possible. If you can remove some water from the canister and add new water from the tank will also help.