PDA

View Full Version : upset

skie
01-31-2014, 06:15 AM
I've been studying and studying about discus but I'm upset because of a few things.
1. I guess I need a at : I don't have room or money right now for it.
2. I need at least a 55g : I only have a 36 bow. Once again I have no room or money for a 55g

Question : Can I just do bigger W/C every day to maintain the amount of discus I want (5)

Question: What's the problem with just medicating them in the original 36 tank and then remove meds with carbon?

Question : What if I just get 3 or 4 discus would that be Ok?

I need advice and I'm worried about my discus tank idea comes crashing down

DiscusLoverJeff
01-31-2014, 07:14 AM
Drew,

Is there any chance you can trade your setup for a 55 gal? Try putting an ad on Craigslist.

Bigger water changes are fine its room for them once they get larger that's the problem.

Medicating a whole tank (although your 36 is not as big as most peoples display tanks) is about using more medications in a larger tank. A QT tank is to help isolate the sick fish not fish that are not sick.

3 or 4 is not a problem per-say, people do it. It is just that discus prefer to be in larger groups.

Hope this helps.

sholvey
01-31-2014, 08:11 AM
I know you probably won't take my advice. But, why don't you just wait until you can afford and have room a bigger set up? The objective is to be successful. Also, believe me from personal experience, you will want to keep more than 3-4 for a few reasons. There is more of a chance that bullying will happen and this will stress out the fish who is being bullied, causing disease or death. Secondly, you will find some that you "must" have, but don't have the room. When I buy from Kenny and Hans I just want to keep buying, bc they are all beautiful. Good luck with whatever decision you choose.

skie
01-31-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm going to take your advice. I'm looking for nice dwarf cichlids. I know this is a discus forum but you know any rare south american cichlids?

sholvey
01-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Heroina isonycterina is one. It's like a mini Severum. I believe they get to 4 in. My personal favorite is the EBJD. I did them before I started discus.

Elliots
01-31-2014, 09:20 AM
There is an internet site I think in Washington State or Oregon with a tremendous selecting. It may be called Cichlids Inc. If not try a Cichlid forum, they would know. It is a very good idea not to have Discus in a 36 gallon tank. If you cannot afford a bigger tank try Craigslist. You should be able to find a 55 to 90 gallon set up used for less than a new 36 gallon set up. The big chains like Pet Smart have dollar a gallon sale where you can get a 55.

Second Hand Pat
01-31-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm going to take your advice. I'm looking for nice dwarf cichlids. I know this is a discus forum but you know any rare south american cichlids?

You might consider PMing Ryan, our admin here who keeps and raises South American cichlids plus he can point you to a reliable source.

timmy82
01-31-2014, 11:41 AM
You might consider PMing Ryan, our admin here who keeps and raises South American cichlids plus he can point you to a reliable source.

Yes very good advice, unless you have the $$$$ easy discus can be expensive if not setup correctly. Young will be fine to grow in a bb tank of that volume but onec at 4"+ that enviroment isn't to good.

Cichlidcraze
01-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Hi Drew.

I applaud your decision to go with a smaller type cichlid. From reading your other threads i assume that you are quite new to fishkeeping. Just be aware that there are a few species of SA dwarf cichlids that are even more sensitive than discus. By starting with something a little easier than discus will give you the opportunity to hone your skills as an aquarist and build a solid foundation. Although not rare, my personal favourite small cichlid are Bolivian Rams. They are quite hardy, can be kept in groups, and will give you a good idea of cichlid group dynamics and how to deal with mild aggression. I used to have 5 (2 males / 3 females) and i loved them.

As far as discus go, i wouldnt give up on the idea. Look at it as a longer term goal. When you have the money and space to set up the right tank and provide the right care, then jump in! I am sure you will enjoy your first discus experience when you do things right from the start. Good luck.

Cass

myofibroblast
01-31-2014, 02:44 PM
Bolivian rams are hardy. Dwarf rainbow cichlids are hardy too (they will pretty much survive anything), and breed very frequently. I like electric blue german rams, so colorful...but I heard the stock is not that hardy. Good luck! Cichlids are so fun, esp. when they become parents!

Mxx
01-31-2014, 03:07 PM
Five would be a lot in a 36. But would a matted pair in a tank that size be something which could be considered?

myofibroblast
01-31-2014, 03:20 PM
I would think so. Even excellent community tank cichlids become less community friendly once they spawn. My pair of rainbows terrorized everyone in a 40g when they started mating, even a 40 was not enough space for their territory as they moved their fry around the tank frequently.

skie
01-31-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm not at all new to aquariums. I've kept African cichlids for 10 years. I originally got thevtann to breed wild red comps which are considered rare but had a change of heart half way through. I always wanted a discus tank but its just not time to fo it. I respect animals.

Cichlidcraze
01-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Rainbow cichlids are very pretty and as tough as convicts. Mine just about spawned in the bag on the way home....lol. Very interesting breeding behaviours. Especially the color change. Aggression towards tank mates can be a problem when the brood is on the move IME.

Cass

Cichlidcraze
01-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Comps and Calvus are awesome. Can be a reall challenge to keep. Need extremely stable water perameters to thrive and breed IME.

Cass

myofibroblast
01-31-2014, 04:24 PM
I have them in their own 20 to breed to their hearts content. If they weren't such mean parents I'd totally put them in the discus tank. They are adorbs!

Cichlidcraze
01-31-2014, 05:11 PM
I have them in their own 20 to breed to their hearts content. If they weren't such mean parents I'd totally put them in the discus tank. They are adorbs!

+1 I had rainbow fish with mine. Had to remove them in a hurry!