PDA

View Full Version : New to SD and Fascinated !!

treemanone2003
02-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Hello all !!!
I'll try to keep this short, but I don't think it'll work. I'd like to start off by admitting that I never knew SD existed and for that i am a bit ashamed, but very grateful to have found you fine folks !! :o:o
I'm not "new" to Discus however, I am new to what's really "proper" with them. I had some previous experience (before a divorce) but, with some strict precautions put in place, have not so long ago gotten my landlord to allow me to keep a small (40 g) tank in my 3rd floor apartment. What knowledge I do have of Discus is from a Cichlid tech at a LFS whom I've formed a great friendship out of along the way.

I now know I'm breaking the rules a bit but for starters, please bear with me. Currently a 40 gal breeder, gravel substrate, couple decorations. I know I have an Amazon Sword and two other tall slender things. I'm running a Fluval 205 w/ no carbon, on city water and use a Python straight from the tap for WC's.
A 20 gal (BB) QT w/ a Whisper HOB
Parameters are as follows:
pH 6.8 (API)
Ammonia 0 (API)
Nitrates 0 (API)
Temp 84-86 (dep on outside temp)
Soft water based on the dip stick tester from Tetra.
These are both tap and tank conditions as I test both quite frequently.

WC's consist of 30% every 2-3 days w/ 50-75% once weekly on 40 and only the weekly 50-75% on QT. Along with these I use recommended dose of both Stress Coat and Stress Zyme from API.

Currently, (more broken rules) and soon to change, the 40 gal houses 4 Discus, 2 Angels and 1 SAE. I'll have to persuade my landlord for more permission to set up another tank and tell him it's for sick fishes.;)

Besides those two tanks, the garage houses the following:
20 g turtle (free)
40 g breeder (free)
70 g bow front sw (free)
75 g (only one I purchased) AND........
265 g drilled also FREE !!!! A friend was getting out of the hobby and said first come, first owns. I'm always searching Craigslist and today found someone breaking down a 200 tank room and prices are DIRT CHEAP !!! Less than $1/gal and bulk deals for better. WOW !!! According to everyone's reviews, I need to make a road trip. Kenny is a little far away but Hans is only 4 hrs and 22 mins.

In closing, sorry it was a bit lengthy. I look forward to interacting with everybody and some good times here. And if there's anything I missed please point it out. Thanks again SD !!! - Treeman

Ardan
02-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Welcome! Glad you found us.
Another from CT! Great. That seems to be a hotbed for discus people.
Sounds like you hit the jackpot on the tanks!

Ardan

Trubble
02-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Welcome to Simply.

treemanone2003
02-05-2014, 02:58 AM
Thank you Ardan and Trubble. Yes I have been pretty fortunate when it comes to finding free tanks. The 40 in use was another freebie and my first re-seal. I did what exploring I could briefly but did not notice if there any any state specific forums. Can anyone point me in that direction if they do exist or if you can search members by location ?

As well I'm trying to find the pros/cons of using a UV sterilizer as I have no experience. I will forewarn that it might be a while before I can get back as the snow is beginning to fall and the plow truck is due to wake me in just a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trubble
02-05-2014, 09:45 PM
You can check this link for members by location.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?151-Members-by-Location

As for pros/con's of UV filtration, I know there was a discussion a while back. Try doing a search for UV filters, and it should come up.

Hope this helps.

BODYDUB
02-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the addicition.............

tonytheboss1
02-06-2014, 05:21 PM
:bandana: Welcome!! Great place for info & sharing. If you make it down to 'Bmore to see Hans, you'll be more than happy w/ the decision. Suggestion .... since you have it & are limited to (1) setup, switch out the 40g for the 75g. This will give you a bit more room for additions. Good luck. "T"

treemanone2003
02-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Thank you Trubble. I will def check that out now that the plow truck is off limits till the next storm lol.

Thank you BODYDUB !!

I can't wait to get to Hans' place. It will be quite the venture. As far as the tank thing goes, it's like this. In order to do the 40, he required me to make a "catch box" to contain the water in the event of a blowout. Now we all know that if that happens, this thing I made (will post a pic soon) won't do a dang thing. So part two of the 75 concern on my end is the weight. However, after a little research on how the house was built, and that I have the 40 and a 20 QT directly under it with a consult to a builder, these floors can handle it easily. I have a stand I made that will come up after my builder mocks up the facing since it's currently in storage. I figure it's easier to do that outside first and then bring all the pieces up and assemble when in place. Fingers crossed. I would like 4 discus in the 75. Sooner than later.

Udeservit
02-07-2014, 08:35 PM
treemanone2003. Ask some questions about starting with just 4 discus. I have 4 and Im having bullying issues. Appearantly they like to school with at least 5-6 for best results. I don't know just how accurate this is but something i wish i had been made aware of before.

And welcome!!! Im new to this forum too and I have enjoyed all the research available here. I can't wait to see a photo or 2 when you're up and running!!

treemanone2003
02-09-2014, 10:50 AM
I wasn't aware of the 5-6 either but did learn that too. I'll get up some photos later as I'm heading out now to do snow removal from a few lots I plow. A little update on the tank is it now has only 2 Discus. I don't know what happened bc the water parameters are spot on. I can only surmise that they were such poor quality fishes and sick to begin with and It was poor choice on my part to purchase them. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/09/9u4y2uta.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/09/da4eqype.jpg.
These may be a little difficult to see as I'm running out the door, but more to come later.

treemanone2003
02-09-2014, 08:40 PM
I learned about the 5-6 stocking here also. That one had never been mentioned to me before hand. I had started this tank with 4 but am now down to 2. I'm thinking that it was based on my lack of knowledge and poor choice of fish. So for now I'm holding off on anymore till I get the 75 up and in place. I'll try to load a couple pics of what's there now.

Udeservit
02-09-2014, 10:47 PM
They look small/young too so once they grow out they may turnout interesting.Lots of peppering on the red one. Just keep up on the water changes and keep your temp warm. Im having difficulty finding quality here where I am without paying 100 $ shipping over and above the fish. I have one that looks just like your second photo only the eyes on mine are much darker.

Anyway, just a ramble... have fun getting your 75 up!!!