PDA

View Full Version : Is my Tank Over Crowded?

kkdiscus
02-05-2014, 08:20 AM
My tank is 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft, around 76 gallons.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1619583_10202222817826506_2047677690_n.jpg

we4wieners
02-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Is that a crayfish? Didn't know they could handle the discus temps, the guppies either? Very nice though. I am new so I don't have much to offer. I was under the impression, a benchmark , 1 fish per 10 g's. Id like to add some more to my tank but sticking to that rule of thumb.

Rudustin
02-05-2014, 11:02 AM
All the fish seem good at this time but when those smaller discus get bigger then I think you will have to think of a bigger tank. I am concerned about the crayfish. They are notorious hunters especially at night when other fish are asleep. I have a 125 gallon and have nine adult Discus in that tank and some corey catfish and that is it! It appears that you have five adult discus and six sub adult or juveniles plus assorted guppies and plates. I don't know how many water changes you do or what your filtering system is but you are in my opinion over stocked and you need to really consider that the smaller discus will not continue to grow unless moved to a much bigger tank. On a positive note the fish look great and the tank is very nicely done.

Elliots
02-05-2014, 11:17 AM
I have not raised small Discus so I do not know if they will continue to grow in your tank. Someone with experience in raising Discus should comment on that. I do not mind an over crowded tank if you have good filtration and enough water changes. I differ from most of the people on SD. If you had that amount of fish in that size tank I would say okay but since you want the smaller fish to grow I do not know if they will.

Nick Klimkowski
02-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I would strongly consider dumping the tiger barbs they tend to be fin nippers as well as the cray fish. Also the guppies and Mollie's really should not be kept in the high temps that the discus like to be kept in. Over all your tank does not look over crowed, just make sure to do daily 50% water changes. Hth.

SortSay2003
02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Hey Kkk,

Nice tank set up.

I think I counted the same like Rufus, 5-6 subs and the rest are juveniles, totaling 13 discus in view. Not sure if there are any behind driftwood playing hide and seek:) That's a lot of fish in a 76gal+/- tank. Water looks clear and clean though. It's what can not been seen, that might cause some issue one day....Let's hope for the best.

The sub-adults have really nice shape and color:)

DiscusLoverJeff
02-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Is that an acrylic tank? Looks like rounded corners. Very nice.

Just to add what others stated, I think Mollie's, Crayfish and Barbs would have to go. From what I remember aren't mollies big transmitters of Itch?

joanstone
02-05-2014, 12:58 PM
I count 14 discus, that's a lot for a 76 gallon tank. I agree on the other fish and crayfish, I wouldn't have them in there. Does that rock affect your water chemistry? I also agree that your tank is very nice and you have some nice looking discus in there.

MKD
02-05-2014, 01:33 PM
your tank is over crowded. i only see interior pump/filter. Agree above comments on tankmates and i would add more filter and WC for long run.

YSS
02-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Nice simple set up. How long have you had the set up running and what's your tank temp?

Udeservit
02-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Do you really like the mollies? Getting those out of there would simplify things a little. Your aquarium would look so much more "Quality" than it already does .
Beautiful set up!!! Monochromatic taste. I see u have a plant in there back right. What about positioning it inside the right half of your drift wood?
Yes your tank looks over stocked.
Gorgeous Discus

BODYDUB
02-05-2014, 04:11 PM

I've actually owned a glass tank with rounded corners before. Thought it was acrylic till I actually put my hands on it and that freaked me out for a while.

And I'm guessing it's an underground filter. He does have a couple of nice fish in there though.................

jmf3460
02-05-2014, 04:14 PM
can I ask what the heck is up with your username?

warblad79
02-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Its crowded but at least put some nice filtration otherwise you will be water changing them 95% a day.

musicmarn1
02-05-2014, 09:15 PM
+1 on username, that's either really upsetting or really unfortunate LOL i wont even go there but id really like to hear it flat out that is not what it appears?

on the fish, you LOOK like the newer fish are the bigger ones is that correct? what is your regime, to sustain the quality of the newer fish, if that is the case, i think separating all the smaller fish into a smaller tank would serve you so well ! for all the reasons stated here i wont go into it, i have several of the fish in your tank its just business for the discus and more importantly competition for food for your smaller discus.or put ur smaller discus in another tank bb and get them fat and sassy :)

kkdiscus
02-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Is that a crayfish? Didn't know they could handle the discus temps, the guppies either? Very nice though. I am new so I don't have much to offer. I was under the impression, a benchmark , 1 fish per 10 g's. Id like to add some more to my tank but sticking to that rule of thumb.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, those are crayfish and guppies. Bought the crayfish and guppies before I have discus, will have to think of a new place / tank for them...

kkdiscus
02-05-2014, 10:20 PM
All the fish seem good at this time but when those smaller discus get bigger then I think you will have to think of a bigger tank. I am concerned about the crayfish. They are notorious hunters especially at night when other fish are asleep. I have a 125 gallon and have nine adult Discus in that tank and some corey catfish and that is it! It appears that you have five adult discus and six sub adult or juveniles plus assorted guppies and plates. I don't know how many water changes you do or what your filtering system is but you are in my opinion over stocked and you need to really consider that the smaller discus will not continue to grow unless moved to a much bigger tank. On a positive note the fish look great and the tank is very nicely done.

I just done water change prior to taking the photo. There are 5 adults and 9 juveniles of discus. I am thinking of moving the 5 adults to a new 5-6 feet tank.

Have to think of a new place for the other species... :confused:

kkdiscus
02-05-2014, 10:21 PM
I have not raised small Discus so I do not know if they will continue to grow in your tank. Someone with experience in raising Discus should comment on that. I do not mind an over crowded tank if you have good filtration and enough water changes. I differ from most of the people on SD. If you had that amount of fish in that size tank I would say okay but since you want the smaller fish to grow I do not know if they will.

I do hope the juveniles will grow into adults...

Currently I am only running an over top pump, and do water change (75%) once a week. I have had the tank for about a month.

kkdiscus
02-05-2014, 10:32 PM
I would strongly consider dumping the tiger barbs they tend to be fin nippers as well as the cray fish. Also the guppies and Mollie's really should not be kept in the high temps that the discus like to be kept in. Over all your tank does not look over crowed, just make sure to do daily 50% water changes. Hth.

Thinking of giving the tiger barbs to my friend's arowana tank...but it will be food of arowana overnight then... :(

Hey Kkk,

Nice tank set up.

I think I counted the same like Rufus, 5-6 subs and the rest are juveniles, totaling 13 discus in view. Not sure if there are any behind driftwood playing hide and seek:) That's a lot of fish in a 76gal+/- tank. Water looks clear and clean though. It's what can not been seen, that might cause some issue one day....Let's hope for the best.

The sub-adults have really nice shape and color:)

Thanks! There are 5 adults and 9 juveniles. Total 14.

Just to add what others stated, I think Mollie's, Crayfish and Barbs would have to go. From what I remember aren't mollies big transmitters of Itch?

It is actually a glass tank from China. Quite cheap with complete setup (tank, cabinet, overtop pump) at less than USD300. Btw, I am from Malaysia.

I count 14 discus, that's a lot for a 76 gallon tank. I agree on the other fish and crayfish, I wouldn't have them in there. Does that rock affect your water chemistry? I also agree that your tank is very nice and you have some nice looking discus in there.

I have not checked on the water chemistry. I might consider removing the rocks later. The wood tends to give reddish colour though.

your tank is over crowded. i only see interior pump/filter. Agree above comments on tankmates and i would add more filter and WC for long run.

I am thinking of adding a canister to the bottom of my tank (inside the cabinet), but that will require some drilling on the top cover...

Nice simple set up. How long have you had the set up running and what's your tank temp?

Have had it for around a month. Temp is around 29-30 degree C (consistent as in Malaysia it is always hot and humid).

Do you really like the mollies? Getting those out of there would simplify things a little. Your aquarium would look so much more "Quality" than it already does .
Beautiful set up!!! Monochromatic taste. I see u have a plant in there back right. What about positioning it inside the right half of your drift wood?
Yes your tank looks over stocked.
Gorgeous Discus

My daughter actually chose the mollies...will try to reallocate them...

I've actually owned a glass tank with rounded corners before. Thought it was acrylic till I actually put my hands on it and that freaked me out for a while.

And I'm guessing it's an underground filter. He does have a couple of nice fish in there though.................

Yes, it is a glass tank. I love round corner tank, looks clean. But the problem is the limitation of the width and height.

can I ask what the heck is up with your username?

KK is the shortform of my first name, while Koh is my family name.

Its crowded but at least put some nice filtration otherwise you will be water changing them 95% a day.

Thanks. Am in planning of getting a new tank...(if my wife allows... :p)

+1 on username, that's either really upsetting or really unfortunate LOL i wont even go there but id really like to hear it flat out that is not what it appears?

on the fish, you LOOK like the newer fish are the bigger ones is that correct? what is your regime, to sustain the quality of the newer fish, if that is the case, i think separating all the smaller fish into a smaller tank would serve you so well ! for all the reasons stated here i wont go into it, i have several of the fish in your tank its just business for the discus and more importantly competition for food for your smaller discus.or put ur smaller discus in another tank bb and get them fat and sassy :)

At the moments the juveniles do look thin...but they continue to eat well when I put in blood worms... :)

GeauxDiscus
02-05-2014, 10:56 PM
I just wanted to echo what a few have already said, but with more urgency: DON'T WAIT to remove the crawfish. Relocate it now, or your smaller discus (and maybe even larger ones) will be victims very soon. Crawfish are efficient and ruthless predators, and they move much faster than you'd think. They will ambush your fish, often at night when they are sleeping near the bottom, but sometimes even during the day. Once they grab on, the fish don't often escape. I'm speaking from experience, because a) I'm from South Louisiana, and b) I've kept several in an aquarium environment. Only put them in with fish you're okay with them preying upon. Otherwise, I agree with everyone else - love your tank. Very nice, and I especially love your brilliant blue - she/he is beautiful.

tonytheboss1
02-06-2014, 09:34 AM
:bandana: Very nice but sadly yes a bit overcrowded. Two tanks or a much larger single tank are necessary for long term. Additional filtration & increased water changes will be needed also. You've got a good start, just follow thru. "T"

kkdiscus
02-08-2014, 10:42 AM
I have reallocated the all the crayfish, tiger barbs, etc. to a new small thank.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1622003_10202242368915271_1933683687_n.jpg

I still have some shrimps in my current discus tank. They are good in cleaning up the leftover food. Is it ok to mix them with discus?

Udeservit
02-08-2014, 11:05 AM
good job :) now your avatar needs a smile :) sorry, i can't comment on the shrimps

MKD
02-08-2014, 11:15 AM
You won't be regret moving those fish to different tank. Now tanks start multiply lol. As far as shrimp, they will be discus snack, they won't last long in there with discus.

««««««««««« please excuse smart phone poster error »»»»»»»»»»

GeauxDiscus
02-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Nicely done, Koh!

aquadon2222
02-08-2014, 05:30 PM
If you can keep the water clean, I personally don't think it's overcrowded. My opinion is based on how they behave in nature - they do tend to school tightly and even brush up against one another even when they have plenty of space to separate.
As far as the crayfish, I lost a perfectly healthy juvie to a crayfish one night, so they can catch a discus, especially if they have plenty of hiding places. (I snipped his front claws off and restored peace to my tank:)