PDA

View Full Version : First tank for Discus

sgchick
02-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Hi, I'm new to Discus. I still have lots of research and reading to do, so I'm not in a huge hurry. I have a small saltwater reef, 29 gallon biocube that's doing very well and a small nano freshwater planted tank. I'd like to have a Discus tank, but I am a little space challenged. :-)
I have a solid oak dresser I would like to put a 60 gallon tank on. I'm specifically looking at the Innovative Marine 60 for its all in one capabilities and clean look, since I won't have a cabinet underneath. http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/sr-60.html

Looks like this tank is made for a reef, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for freshwater also. Please let me know what you think or any ideas on a clean looking tank set up for my oak dresser. Thanks Melanie

Second Hand Pat
02-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Hi Melanie, welcome to Simply and this is a great place to learn about discus. Would a 75 gallon (48 length x 18 width) fit on top of your dresser? A 75 is a great size for a group of six discus (smallest recommended group size) plus have a little room for a small group of cories or other dither fish. Many here go with discus only tanks.
Pat

sgchick
02-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Hi Melanie, welcome to Simply and this is a great place to learn about discus. Would a 75 gallon (48 length x 18 width) fit on top of your dresser? A 75 is a great size for a group of six discus (smallest recommended group size) plus have a little room for a small group of cories or other dither fish. Many here go with discus only tanks.
Pat

Morning Pat,

Yes a 75 would fit, but I would like to be able to hide all the equipment and won't have a cabinet underneath. Any ideas on that or pictures? Thanks, Melanie

Second Hand Pat
02-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Melanie, you can paint the back and sides to help hide equipment in the back but you will not be able to hide the heater or filter intake. A AquaClear 110 is a possible filter choice or a couple of large sponge filters. I would suggest doing a lot of reading here and not make any firm choices yet.

sgchick
02-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Melanie, you can paint the back and sides to help hide equipment in the back but you will not be able to hide the heater or filter intake. A AquaClear 110 is a possible filter choice or a couple of large sponge filters. I would suggest doing a lot of reading here and not make any firm choices yet.
Thanks Pat...definitely doing a lot of reading. :-) Not jumping into anything too soon.