PDA

View Full Version : Hello SD folks! Getting ready for my first Discus

CobaltBerry
02-05-2014, 10:10 PM
I just wanted to throw out a quick hello to everyone, and I'm looking forward to learning more about Discus, and interacting with you all. I've been raising fish since middle school, but I am by no means an expert. I recently acquired a 90 gallon tank, and have been spending the last 3 months getting it ready. I've got the tank setup, cycled, and plants growing. After reading some other threads here, I may setup a bare bottom tank to start, and transition the Discus to the "display" tank later in life. I really appreciate everyone's input and time they selflessly give to help us newbies along.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-r714AaRbU8o/UvLutBbh6nI/AAAAAAAAA3Y/d3CLVk8Yw88/w1207-h905-no/90gTank.jpg

sholvey
02-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Welcome to SD! If you get adult discus they will do fine in your 90 gal. On the other hand, if you buy some juvies, you will want to grow them in a BB. A lot easier to do maintenance. Good luck they are a lot of fun.

OC Discus
02-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Nice wood. Adults would love it.

CobaltBerry
02-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the warm greetings :).

Chad Hughes
02-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Welcome and best of luck with your new discus!

Your decision to begin with a bare tank is wise. This will allow you to care for the discus while getting that planted tank right.

My only recommendation on your planted tank is DO NOT use gravel. Use sand. Gravel beds are impossible to keep clean and over the years will become fouled. This goes for any discus tank witha substrate, planted or not.

All the best!

CobaltBerry
02-07-2014, 01:47 PM
That's really good to know! I've only got $12 invested in the gravel, so no big loss there :).

Chad Adams
02-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Jason,

Very wise on the bare bottom idea. You get used to the fish, they get used to you , your food and your care before introducing the other variables my friend.

Chad