PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion before discus registration begins?

Tazalanche
02-10-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm all for the discus registration & willing to help out in any way I can. However, before the forum takes on such a monumental task, what about cleaning up the stickies that contain dead links, exposed code and missing images that were attached in the older software?

I can't think of the best way to word this, so please understand that my suggestion is not intended as negative in any way. I'm a software quality analyst by trade, so the little things are what catch my attention first. While it may not seem like a big deal to some, it gives an amaturish impression to those seeing the forum for the first time. We all regularly refer people to stickies that need cleaning up... especially the ones that are referencing images that no longer exist. Of course the odds are slim those missing images could be recovered, but the thread could be recreated with new images, or replacement images might be possible?

I understand the admins here are overworked already. Is there a lower ranked admin setting in the code where you could possibly allocate a few volunteers that had rights to clean up stickies in only one subforum & once that subforum is complete, their rights are moved to another subforum, etc., until all stickies are cleaned up?

I haven't worked in forum code in at least 6 years, so im just spitballing ideas from what I recall. Maybe someone with more recent experience could offer up some ideas?

Thank you.

SortSay2003
02-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Good day Taz,

WOW! I didn't know you were so fluent in French! lol....j/k. I think what you're saying sounds really good!?:p

I'm glad there are a lot of tech people here like you to help make this site even BETTER.

Have a great day!

Second Hand Pat
02-10-2014, 10:51 AM
David, this is a huge task and a great idea. I will flag it to the staff so we can kick it around. I personally like the volunteer idea. :evilgrin:

Pat

CobaltBerry
02-10-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm new to this forum, but would be willing to help in any way you find me useful!

Ryan
02-10-2014, 11:28 AM
I'd eventually like to make it so that there is only one sticky at the top of each forum, an index of sorts. In that sticky will be links to all the threads that we used to have stickied. This way you don't actually have to clutter the forum with sticky posts but the info is all accessible from one general thread.

Of course this is on my to-do list, but we have other changes that we have the ball rolling on right now so it'll have to get added to the priority list. We were waiting for the contest to end to implement a few other changes and we are currently discussing those now. Those changes will also impact the look and navigation of the forums. More on that fairly soon.

But yes, it's a good idea and something that we need to address. I'd especially like to clean up the Beginner and Disease sections.