PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer for a discus tank

ganesan
02-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Recently in a LFS I saw a Discus tank which had a protein skimmer as they have in marine aquariums. I asked the shop owner and he said having a protein skimmer is good for discus fish water in removing dirt. Is this really true and is it worth having a protein skimmer in a discus tank?

Second Hand Pat
02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
It would be a great way of aerating the water but doubt there is any other benefits. The bubbles are not small enough in freshwater to remove proteins like in saltwater.

dirtyplants
02-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Yes takes care of algae spores, and organic protein waste in the water column.

Second Hand Pat
02-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Coree, have you tried that?

dirtyplants
02-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Yes I had one running in my tank about 20 years ago, I could not get rid of algae because of the amount of spores from the tap. So set one up Venturi type by Red Sea, really did the trick on cutting algae, but i was surprised how much organic protein was foaming up in the top. Expensive though to purchase. My cat knocked it off the sink when cleaning it, and broke it, other then that I would be still using it, but 300.00 replacement was not in my budget.
As to purchasing one for a freshwater tank, if you do enough water changes everyday, and clean the substrate well, I don't think you will benefit from a protein skimmer.

Pardal
02-12-2014, 10:37 PM
uhm,
will never occur to me, I was always on the impression that because the relatively lack of salt that will never be enough micro-bubbles in fresh water.
I wish to have a protein skimmer just to do an experiment. but I left salt water tanks long ago.
I guess that it will skim something , I notice that sometimes there is some foam near the lakes/river shores when an storm pass and wind hits the water for a couple of days, but never like a Hurricane at the beach a lot foam sometimes cover along the beach for miles.

dirtyplants
02-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Go to a LFS that has one set up. Ask him to set one in fresh water then feed the fish you will see the protein solids accumulate in form in the collection cup. Not as dynamic in fresh, but does it's job.

joanstone
02-12-2014, 10:51 PM
It never occurred to me to put a skimmer on a freshwater tank. I've got three sitting in boxes that I need to get rid of. Maybe I'll throw one on a tank and see what happens.

ganesan
02-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks for your replies, I guess I shall install a protein skimmer.

musicmarn1
02-13-2014, 12:56 PM
well it makes sense for those of us with the BH :) thats a lot of protein in the tank i just didnt realize it floated up to the top. even with the changes then if it floats and we change water, is this a profound revelation or am i missing a detail here, it skims the top right?

we change water but there is always some water left and like a film of oil that would be on the top reducing oxygen and fouling the water in general? or am i over thinking it but that seems pretty awesome to try one ! cant hurt in any way to try it right. now to find a cheap one