PDA

View Full Version : My planted 125g

Saverio
02-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Here's a pic of my planted 125g.

I have an 8x2x2 240g with 100g sump in the works that should be getting delivered at the end of this month, so this set-up will be going away. I'll likely be ordering more discus from Kenny once it's all set up. :o

sgchick
02-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Wow! Beautiful tank. Hope you'll post more pics and share more info on your tank set up. :-) I'm getting ready to start a planted tank soon also.

Elliots
02-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Are your Discus usually on one side of the tank and your cardinals on the other? That is what appears to happen in my tank.

pastry
02-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Niiiiiice... definitely +1 on wanting more pics. Great looking tank. Are those big anubias at the top right of your tank? Looks like everyone's happy.

As for cardinals on the left and discus on the right, I just think that's probably the discus coming over to whatever side you're on which squeezes the smaller cardinals to the other side.

But yeah, would love to see more pics of this tank and also of course pics of the new tank when you get it set up!

Rudustin
02-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Very cool! Great looking. Congrats. I would never attempt a planted tank but I can appreciate looking at one that is great looking.

Rudustin
02-13-2014, 10:12 AM
I hope more people who have planted tanks share pics here.

Second Hand Pat
02-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Great looking tank and fish and congrats on the new tank.
Pat

flutterbug
02-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Very Nice! :)

kaujong
02-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks for sharing the picture. Can we see more please?

Saverio
02-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Niiiiiice... definitely +1 on wanting more pics. Great looking tank. Are those big anubias at the top right of your tank? Looks like everyone's happy.

As for cardinals on the left and discus on the right, I just think that's probably the discus coming over to whatever side you're on which squeezes the smaller cardinals to the other side.

But yeah, would love to see more pics of this tank and also of course pics of the new tank when you get it set up!

Yes, those are Anubias nana on the upper right. They are attached to a large driftwood stump.

As for the cardinals and discus groupings, I find that the cardinals loosely shoal together, then when the group of discus swim near them, the shoal tightens and migrates to another open area.

I'm super excited about the new tank! I've got 2 magnificent pieces of driftwood waiting, along with lighting and all the other stuff I'll need already on hand. The driftwood pieces are real branchy, and each almost 4 feet long. =)

Thank you all for the nice comments! As requested, a few more pics:

bwssr
02-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Very nice. Are there any other fish than the ones shown in the tank that we cannot see.

Saverio
02-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Very nice. Are there any other fish than the ones shown in the tank that we cannot see.

Indeed there are! There is a shoal of about 12 corydoras sterbai in there, along with a trio of bolivian rams and a pair of GBR's. The clown loaches have since been rehomed, as they were getting too large and boisterous.

edited to add: and a solitary bamboo shrimp.

=)

musicmarn1
02-13-2014, 10:55 PM
OMG that could go in my DREAM scape thread thats beautiful !! im going to cry to think about taking it down sob sniffle. i want an online CLASS in setting up a scape like that i can't get any of my plant suppliers to do a step by step interactive class and i know there are millions out there that would pay something for that ! ugh my efforts pale in comparison to this well done my friend !!! :balloon:

ok i consoled myself with the fact we get (we all hope) to watch you build one from SCRATCH !! and your new one is the same size and filtration as my project almost so i can hopefully follow along and learn if you post pictures and updates as much as im begging and pleading you to do :angel:

teach me Yoda !! so what does the driftwood look like where did ya get it :p ? picture please !

Saverio
02-14-2014, 01:31 AM
OMG that could go in my DREAM scape thread thats beautiful !! im going to cry to think about taking it down sob sniffle. i want an online CLASS in setting up a scape like that i can't get any of my plant suppliers to do a step by step interactive class and i know there are millions out there that would pay something for that ! ugh my efforts pale in comparison to this well done my friend !!! :balloon:

ok i consoled myself with the fact we get (we all hope) to watch you build one from SCRATCH !! and your new one is the same size and filtration as my project almost so i can hopefully follow along and learn if you post pictures and updates as much as im begging and pleading you to do :angel:

teach me Yoda !! so what does the driftwood look like where did ya get it :p ? picture please !

I got the driftwood off a seller on ebay. They're currently sitting in my swimming pool weighted down as they aren't completely waterlogged yet. They were too big to soak in a bathtub! lol Hopefully they will sink by the time the new tank comes in, or I'll have to mount them on slate or something.

I plan to take pics of the new tank once it's delivered and as I set it up. I'll admit, I'm not really looking forward to dealing with the typical "new tank" issues as far as where algae is concerned, and getting my lighting/CO2/fert dosing dialed in, etc.

Elliots
02-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Saverio, you can use rocks to weigh down your driftwood until it stays down by itself. That worked for me.

SortSay2003
02-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Nice looking tank Saverio. Did those discus come from The Ocean Floor? Just curious. I saw some there similar to what you have.

SortSay2003
02-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Also saw that you'd mentioned Kenny's name. But the peppered ones from another source?

Saverio
02-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Nice looking tank Saverio. Did those discus come from The Ocean Floor? Just curious. I saw some there similar to what you have.

Hello fellow Zonie! =P

No, they're not from Ocean Floor. The peppered ones are from Mike Beals. They were the last 5 of a batch of Mercuries he had a few years ago. He gave me a smoking deal, something like $300 for all 5? And they were full size (6.5"+) back then! Even with the peppering, I could not resist. =)

SortSay2003
02-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Hi Saverio,

That is a smoking deal, esp. from Mike. I wouldn't resist either if it was me:)

Cool to see more Zonies on here. I just think a lot of us here in AZ don't know about SD. So they end up going to the lfs or same discus supplier in AZ w/o knowing there are BETTER choices (imo) out there. Now that I know, I am getting mine from a sponsor here:) Take care:)

SortSay2003
02-14-2014, 03:51 PM
btw, I'm in Maricopa...You?

jackie1258
02-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Gorgeous tank and fish. Thanks for showing us.

Saverio
02-14-2014, 06:23 PM
btw, I'm in Maricopa...You?

I'm in the desert's armpit between Phoenix and Tucson, AKA Casa Grande. :p

Saverio
02-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Wow! Beautiful tank. Hope you'll post more pics and share more info on your tank set up. :-) I'm getting ready to start a planted tank soon also.

As far as this setup goes, it's:

2 Fluval FX5's for filtration
pressurized CO2
Daily fert dosing (EI method with dry ferts)
t5HO lighting (2x96w). One bulb on for 11hrs, 2nd bulb for 5hr midday burst
Water changes are weekly at about 60%.
Temp at 83-84F

pastry
02-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Yes, those are Anubias nana on the upper right. They are attached to a large driftwood stump.

As for the cardinals and discus groupings, I find that the cardinals loosely shoal together, then when the group of discus swim near them, the shoal tightens and migrates to another open area.

I'm super excited about the new tank! I've got 2 magnificent pieces of driftwood waiting, along with lighting and all the other stuff I'll need already on hand. The driftwood pieces are real branchy, and each almost 4 feet long. =)

Thank you all for the nice comments! As requested, a few more pics:

Geez, Saverio, what took you so long??? :P Ha! Thanks for the pics and info! Now, for the next set up, are you doing the same substrate? Any sand involved?

Looooove your Anubias. I've "done had" the itch to re-do my tank with different wood and plants. Hopefully around this summer I can get to just that. I love my vall but it's now more of a weed to me. Looking to do the next bout as anubias, 1 sword, a few tiger lilies (controlled though), crypts, and ferns. And the only one I want plenty of are the anubias. So thanks so much again for the info and pics because it helps me shape my vision, Saverio!

Saverio
02-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Geez, Saverio, what took you so long??? :P Ha! Thanks for the pics and info! Now, for the next set up, are you doing the same substrate? Any sand involved?

Looooove your Anubias. I've "done had" the itch to re-do my tank with different wood and plants. Hopefully around this summer I can get to just that. I love my vall but it's now more of a weed to me. Looking to do the next bout as anubias, 1 sword, a few tiger lilies (controlled though), crypts, and ferns. And the only one I want plenty of are the anubias. So thanks so much again for the info and pics because it helps me shape my vision, Saverio!

I thought about sand, and I did a LOT of reading about it. The price point is what really attracted me about it. But in the end, I ended up buying 15 bags of EcoComplete fine grade. lol

Reasons being: I wanted a black substrate that wasn't sand
Eco has generally had good reviews
Not as messy as Flourite
I couldnt' find any reports of it breaking down over time, like Aquasoil and some other brands

I thought of sticking with the same substrate as the 125g, which was the brand that Aquariumplants.com sells, but it's a little too light for my tastes. Sometimes it's hard to keep fresh plantings to stay planted.

SortSay2003
02-15-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm in the desert's armpit between Phoenix and Tucson, AKA Casa Grande. :p

LOL.....That's what that smell is when I drive to work in Tucson!...LOL. If CG is the armpit....then Copa smells like the groin:( especially with all the cattles surrounding us. Nothing wrong with CG, we almost bought a house there; Villagio Community back in 2007:)

Take care. Maybe we'll share some local discus stories one day:)

Saverio
03-05-2014, 01:52 PM
OH MAN! The 240g upgrade is on it's way! The builder just sent me a few teaser pics of it before they loaded it up. I'll likely start a new thread for it once it's all set up and my discus and plants are moved over. The tank is 8x2x2 drilled acrylic with center overflow. The sump is 100g. Soo excited! :D

rickztahone
03-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Beautiful looking 240. My dream tank. Please keep us updated.

tbmeck
03-07-2014, 12:39 AM
OH MAN! The 240g upgrade is on it's way! The builder just sent me a few teaser pics of it before they loaded it up. I'll likely start a new thread for it once it's all set up and my discus and plants are moved over. The tank is 8x2x2 drilled acrylic with center overflow. The sump is 100g. Soo excited! :D

Nice set up. Do you mind sharing who you are getting this tank from? I am looking for something very similar and just started shopping around.

Saverio
03-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Nice set up. Do you mind sharing who you are getting this tank from? I am looking for something very similar and just started shopping around.

Unfortunately, it's a local guy. Small outfit out of Phoenix. Good luck though! I hear good things about glasscages.

Saverio
03-07-2014, 08:21 PM
New thread journaling the 240g upgrade is right that way ----------> http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?112725-Up-and-running!-My-8ft-240g-planted-discus-tank =)