PDA

View Full Version : Newbie- sump questions. Please K.I.S.S.!

Nicolette
02-15-2014, 11:13 AM
I am new to discus and plan to start BB 55g tank with 5 adult discus. Simple. Assuming I love them and all goes well :) , and after 1st flooring renovations in our home I would like to buy a larger 120-150g display tank. I like the idea of not seeing as much "stuff" in the aquarium and having more water volume (more stability) so I think a sump might be the way to go at that point. I would like to invest in a nice plumbed system.

1) Can one order an aquarium/stand/sump already plumbed with overflow, holes drilled and PVC all set up?

I have seen the Glasscages website (which I find more user friendly) but have read is not as good of quality (not 90 degree corners, extra silicone left etc.) and miraclesaquarium website (which I've read is higher quality) and on both one can order aquarium with sump and acrylic overflow covers I believe... but are they all plumbed? Then I presume you order the lights separately (I don't really like the look of a canopy- looks taller/harder to reach perhaps to clean, feed? My thought is if I'm purchasing a brand new custom aquarium (60x24x24 would be ideal for the area I'm thinking) I would love to just purchase it all together and know it's done right, all set for cycling and discus!...I don't trust myself to drill holes...not really sure exactly where they would go, connect/seal PVC correctly, etc!

2) Does anyone have any visual links to sites or photos describing a simple sump system?

Many of the posts on SD are old and photos have been removed. I understand the concept of the loop...but what do you actually place in the sump, etc.? When doing water changes- do you add new water to the sump or to the aquarium? I presume one would empty old water from the aquarium? as you clean the bottom debris and wipe down the sides.

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully respond!

musicmarn1
02-15-2014, 11:26 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q8NiMzP_eEg

I wrote out a long reply and my cat deleted :mad:

The upshot is used set up from ur lfs or craigslist is cheaper might take time to find. the ONE sump guy I found was stupidly expensive and not up to date on fluidized filters etc. So the king of diy on you tube and his book have been the BEST investment in this hobby I have made to date (apart from this awesome forum of course)

Nicolette
02-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Sorry about your cat delete- makes me laugh! I have 4 dogs- always causing trouble. Checked out the youtube ad. May look into the book...I was hoping not to DIY but just buy one pre-made....efficiency is more important to me than $ at this point and since I need to purchase an aquarium anyhow, was hoping to purchase an entire system. In rural VT there's not much on craigslist unfortunately so I was hoping to find an online supplier.

Shane_
02-15-2014, 01:23 PM
The only thing I run in my sump is maxrix in a filter sock that the drain line runs through. I keep my heater down there and do water changes from the aquarium. Current makes pretty cost effective led lights if you want to go that route. Do you have a lfs nearby?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Shane_
02-15-2014, 01:24 PM
*matrix

Nicolette
02-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Shane, thanks for the reply. I have a LFS 1 1/2 hrs. away. They are sadly, not very helpful and don't have discus (although I would buy from a SD supplier anyhow). So I'm trying to get as much info. online as possible!

Shane_
02-15-2014, 02:46 PM
I dont know of any places that sell complete plumbed setups but it really isnt hard to put together. Just make sure you put your bulkheads in correctly lol. Id keep checking cl for bigger tanks though. My gf and I have been known to drive out of state multiple times for deals. Our 120 gallon full setup ran us a whopping $300. If you do buy a used tank though, replace the bulkheads and their seals.

Nicolette
02-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I don't even know what a bulkhead is :( hence why I was hoping for someone to point me in the right direction of a website/link describing a simple sump system. Again Glasscages and miraclesaquarium websites do sell custom aquariums with sumps with overflow cover and bulkheads...I guess I would need to buy PVC to hook it all together?...I will call and inquire and will continue to look on Craigslist for a set up.

Is http://burlington.craigslist.org/for/4304602940.html a system I could use? It's 72"x18"x24"- a little wide/long, I was looking for a 60" but it might work. I've read you can just take out the blue biobeads of a wet/dry filter and use it as a sump?

Does anyone know of a visual youtube or website or photos describing a simple sump system? The link above that musicmarn1 referenced is an ad to buy a reference DIY book which I will certainly look into but I was hoping to find a website that would walk me through the basics. Many of the posts on SD are older and missing photos at this point.

Thank you- much appreciated!

Shane_
02-15-2014, 05:10 PM
If you get that, id pull the bio balls out, put a bag witg matrix inside where the balls were, put a piece of filter pad above where the balls were that youll clean weekly, no need for pvc. Use normal tubing for all the lines.

musicmarn1
02-15-2014, 06:02 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?111782-FS-all-glass-210-gal-tank-w-sump-overflows-lights-pick-up-only-sacramento-ca

if you could find a deal like this, id chop off my ARM for it ! well then i couldnt do wc so tht wont work ;0 and yes to clarify i only buy dry goods or guppies from lfs lol not discus !!! but some of them sell set ups like this one above on consignment for about 1k

Nicolette
02-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Sorry, Musicmarn1- Sacramento is a few miles away :p Don't think that will work. Do you think http://burlington.craigslist.org/for/4304602940.html is a good deal?

SortSay2003
02-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Hi Nicolette,

Welcome.

$575 is not a bad deal. But if you got time, wait. CL is a buyer's market and deals will come and go. I got one of my 125g complete set up in a very good shape for $300:). It even came with two arowanas that I was able to sell for $60ea. Just to give you an idea. What you might want to do is list a "Wanted" on CL for the tank size you're looking for. Otherwise, my advice is again; wait:) Hope that helps:)

CraigJ
02-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Hi Nicolette,

I found what appears to be a nice pair of 125's for $300 each, that are not too far from you; http://burlington.craigslist.org/for/4272125964.html I don't know what is included, or if they are still available, but with one email...

Regarding sumps and following up on Marnie's cats deletions, here is a link to a basic diy sump (it's overhead, but could also be under the tank); http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFcioRUCa6c A wet/dry filtration diy sump;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJBm89MuzU For a slightly more advanced sump (fluidized); http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZA-j-p2No Tons of info on The King of DIY's YouTube channel and the fast forward button can save a lot of time.

Good luck and have fun in your search.

CraigJ

Nicolette
02-16-2014, 01:19 PM
CraigJ- The King of DIY 1-4 videos how to set up an aquarium was exactly what I was looking for- nice to be walked through it, very simple. And I've written re: the 125 g tanks- this wasn't popping up in my search for "aquarium" but does under "fish tank" so thank you!

musicmarn1
02-16-2014, 01:40 PM
thanks for helping her out since i was trying to point Nicolette to the sump walk throughs etc but cat took about 20 mins of links and posting out LOL so glad you found his stuff, i knew NOTHING ok i still know nothing but reading his book and following his links taught me more about filtration and how to get a balanced system and why i had issues with my fluidiized bed filter (lack of o2 which actually killed one discus i was so sad all my fault i didnt add extra o2 when i put more moving bed filters in) anyway he is a great teacher for things you WANT to do to save money but they take time. i just wanted to learn how it worked more than anything and was happy to pay some one to plumb things right for me but in the end i learned so much about why i was doing things this way and what to do that i feel like i will do a much better job of filtration for my discus.

CraigJ
02-16-2014, 04:34 PM
You are welcome and glad my first post was helpful. Another simple and effective sump was built by Dominik and can be seen here; http://s300.photobucket.com/user/wadopl/media/55Gal%20in-wall%20build/100_2028.mp4.html Personally, I wouldn't worry if the used Craigslist tank does, or doesn't have overflows, as you can always build (or buy) an overflow from the tank to the sump. BTW, I thought a bulkhead was a part of a ship.......

Sorry Marnie, I don't have a cat but my 3 Whippets sure act like cats and will easily jump up on the kitchen counter when we're gone; bad dogs!

Shane_
02-17-2014, 10:47 AM
If you get one without an overflow, you will be fine just running a canister filter with just matrix in is so long as you clean it. Id stay away from the hang on back overflows. And if you go sumpless, you could hide your heater behind a piece of plexiglass that you could silicone in a corner.