PDA

View Full Version : Nothing but frustration!!

pgrhodes1
02-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Will I EVER be able to relax and enjoy these fish?? Sometimes I wish I had never seen a Discus. I have 5 babies in a 30 gal bare bottom grow out. Change 50% AM, 50% PM; with aged water which is really a PAIN. Had them about a week. They go into hiding, won't eat and are stressed when it is just the 5 of them. They appear to be REALLY happy and come alive when I put one of my Juvies with them. HOWEVER, the Juvie will pick on them constantly. SO what do I do? Leave the Juvie in, or take the Juvie out??

Chicago Discus
02-22-2014, 01:50 PM
When you say five babies how old?

GeauxDiscus
02-22-2014, 01:53 PM
1. Take the juvie out if it's stressing the other fish.
2. Get a bigger tank - with a single centerpiece that's easy to clean around/under, but that gives them a place to hide, which will help relieve some stress.
3. Review the location of your tank. If you can place it up higher so that you're not always standing over the discus, that's better. Also, make sure it's in a darker place with less house traffic.

JOSNNGUYEN
02-22-2014, 01:56 PM
If they were happy before the juvie arrived. I would take the juvie out. and leave them like before.

Chicago Discus
02-22-2014, 01:58 PM
If they were my "Five babies" depending on how old they are but they sound pretty young by the way it sounds. I would get a smaller tank for them like a ten gallon and raise them in there until they start eating good and feel more comfortable in there surroundings. Just my thoughts

GeauxDiscus
02-22-2014, 02:00 PM
So if Josie says get a smaller tank, then do that, and ignore my advice about a larger one! :D

pgrhodes1
02-22-2014, 02:14 PM
I don't know how old. They are about 1.5". They are in my bedroom where it is quiet and hardly any traffic. Check water AM and PM. It is excellent. They will not eat without the Juvie, nor come out of their cave. The Juvie picks on them BUT they come out and eat and are happy while he is in there.

Chicago Discus
02-22-2014, 02:17 PM
I don't know how old. They are about 1.5". They are in my bedroom where it is quiet and hardly any traffic. Check water AM and PM. It is excellent. They will not eat without the Juvie, nor come out of their cave. The Juvie picks on them BUT they come out and eat and are happy while he is in there.

They are pretty small for a large tank with so few of them. If you don't want to change the tank then leave the Juv in its better if they are eating then hiding

pgrhodes1
02-22-2014, 02:38 PM
I have 3 other Juvies. Would it be better to put them all in together??

pastry
02-22-2014, 04:26 PM
on the bright side, you're doing a kick *** job with your water change regime. everyone's given you sound advice but in all honesty they'll end up just fine. hell, it's only been a week. some groups will be outgoing in less than an hour within a tank while others may take some time. maybe even see if someone nearby sells adult brine shrimp. that'll make the most shy of discus forget all about being shy when they're instinct to eat something wiggling is all around them. now are they really not eating at all??? hell, if the juvie picks on them equally then that's fine. it's natural. if that helps them eat then put a juvie in there and maybe put a cone or two (or some obstacle) to allow them to take cover when they need a break. once they start growing then odds are in the favor of the group producing a fish that will end up bullying the juvie in the future.

pgrhodes1
02-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Put my two babysitters in with them. I have 2 Dwarf Gourami who are doing a REALLY good job of taking care of them. The kids really like them and are eating like horses. The Gourami don't seem to mind at all. I was about ready to PULL my hair out!!

pastry
02-22-2014, 10:50 PM
that was going to be my other suggestion... a tankmate or two of different species. good job penny! and sorry, but now I have the "Big Bang Theory" song going through my head

pgrhodes1
02-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Thank you. I'm trying really hard to do the right thing but sometimes the right thing is just out of reach....:)

pastry
02-23-2014, 07:44 AM
nah, you're right on track. hell, I forgot all about using dwarf gouramis. others have used a few for tank mates on here just fine. nothing's out of reach with discus and you're definitely improvising well. keep us posted as your little guys develop! and we all always love pics!

CobaltBerry
02-23-2014, 11:03 AM
How are the babysitters working out? I was thinking of trying that.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

pgrhodes1
02-23-2014, 04:44 PM
This has REALLY worked out well. The gouramis are wonderful sitters. It is funny to watch. The little brats follow my red fire everywhere. She eats, they eat, she moves, they move, and she really doesn't seem to mind. For some reason they aren't as interested in the blue one but they all get along great. No chasing or beating up on each other. I can finally breath....:)

CobaltBerry
02-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Thank you so much! Worst case, my gouramis tank gets a few more inhabitants :-)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

abitoheaven
02-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Wasn't it recommended you shouldn't start with less than 2 in ? otherwise the babies are a lot less hardy. all of mine always died when too small.

pgrhodes1
02-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Mine are doing really well now; however, will NOT be doing it again....:)

Skip
02-25-2014, 01:26 PM
adding fish with no qt is never recommended..

CobaltBerry
02-25-2014, 01:27 PM
I had 5 in my tank (lost one last night). I was talking to a friend at the LFS who has raised many Discus. He basically refused to sell me any fish to put in with them :). Instead he had me move some driftwood from my 90. They were hanging around the filter for safety, and he was talking about the constant pull from the filter stressing them. After adding the driftwood last night, they look so much happier. Fingers crossed they stay happy. I got the new 90 for them in place, now they just need to grow out.

donnacona
02-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Just saw the thread and thought I would put in a foot note in case this happens to someone else. A month and a half ago I had a problem with a small 2.5 " red melon that was bullied by the other juvenile fish and couldn't get enough food and was hiding at the top of the tank in the corner and getting thin. I got a 5 gal tank and put him in and gave him white worms, but it wouldn't touch any food and starting to lean sideways I was sure it would not make it.
Had a tiny Cory so I put it in with the little discus because the Cory would not chase it they attached together and the discus started to eat the worms. they also slept together.
After a month and a half the discus was big and strong enough to return it to the big tank with the Cory in tow where they are doing great. Goes to show how nature works.
Stu

a volar
02-25-2014, 03:32 PM
adding fish with no qt is never recommended..

+1
Most of times nothing happen right away but something bad may develop down the road, I hope this is not the case.....

mmorris
02-25-2014, 06:45 PM
I hope you are on the right track, but for the record, 1 1/2 in. is really tiny. The smaller they are, the more you should buy. At that size I would have purchased ten or twelve. I recommend a 10 gallon as well. Discus worry when the tank is large. Can you get more from the same source? Be sure to age your water, if you have a ph change, and when doing a water change be sure the temp going in is the same as the temp going out.
Martha