PDA

View Full Version : Bio media in Sump

ganesan
02-23-2014, 05:11 AM
I have read about Alphagrog which is good for sumps. Where are these available and which aquatic companies make them and also Kaldness.
Generally LFS in my area have certain brands company products in each store. Some have ADA aquarium products, some Boyu, some Jbl, some have Ocean free and few have eheim and fluval.From a bio media point of view which companies of the above have great bio medias for filtration. Can some one give their experience please.

foreese
02-23-2014, 09:12 AM
I have read about Alphagrog which is good for sumps. Where are these available and which aquatic companies make them and also Kaldness.
Generally LFS in my area have certain brands company products in each store. Some have ADA aquarium products, some Boyu, some Jbl, some have Ocean free and few have eheim and fluval.From a bio media point of view which companies of the above have great bio medias for filtration. Can some one give their experience please.

Without a doubt Kaldness is a far superior media, I have two tanks over 120 gallons each with 40 gallon sumps using kaldness as the bio media, there is absolutely 0 maintenance of the bio media since I put the system up.

I have a 40 gallon(Aquarium) sump with 2 3" overflows into two sock filters; I have glass and foam separating the chambers, and ~2 gallons of kaldness with 4 huge air stones keeping the bio media constantly rolling, the final chamber, also with foam contains my heaters.

I have had to remove and clean the foam separators 2 times in a year and the socks are rotated with clean ones every other water change.

Frank

farebox
02-23-2014, 11:28 AM
I have an 125G tank with an 20G long tank for the sump. I'm using 200 micron felt filter sock first. Tank is separated with poret foam sheet(30PPI), two gallons of KI w/ six airstones to keeping it moving, then small plastic storage basket from the dolllar store holding two ltrs. of Seachem Matrix. My tank is very crystal clear: http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/farebox/media/IMG_0022_zps3d39dc20.mp4.html

musicmarn1
02-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Nice setup vid!

ganesan
02-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Frank where can one find Kaldness? Seems a great option for great sump biomedia.Can you tell me if any aquatic company manufactures them on order. And how about growing all sorts of hardy plants in one compartment of the sump with pool sand. I saw on you tube a sump with simply pool sand in the first compartment vigoursly being churned by the incoming water from the tank and then water going into a second compartment with sand and plants growing and then the third compartment had bio balls also not tightly packed and were moving around with water flow current and lastly a compartment with some filter pads before entering an empty sump with only filter and a power pump to push back the water to the main aquarium.
Frank your sump is great I believe...can you a please send a photo or just a simple drawing of the whole set up please. I am an need of a good sump and you seem to know well in this area

Larry Bugg
02-23-2014, 06:59 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98433-K1-media

Discusdude7
02-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Frank where can one find Kaldness? Seems a great option for great sump biomedia.Can you tell me if any aquatic company manufactures them on order. And how about growing all sorts of hardy plants in one compartment of the sump with pool sand. I saw on you tube a sump with simply pool sand in the first compartment vigoursly being churned by the incoming water from the tank and then water going into a second compartment with sand and plants growing and then the third compartment had bio balls also not tightly packed and were moving around with water flow current and lastly a compartment with some filter pads before entering an empty sump with only filter and a power pump to push back the water to the main aquarium.
Frank your sump is great I believe...can you a please send a photo or just a simple drawing of the whole set up please. I am an need of a good sump and you seem to know well in this area

I got mine from here:
https://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1797/Kaldnes-Media
I was surprised how much of it there was.
Josie also sells it.