PDA

View Full Version : CPR Overflow lift pump alternative!

teamhuckem
02-23-2014, 09:23 PM
So I use an Ecosystems refugium on my planted 150 gallon discus aquarium. I have gone through 3 Tom's Aqualifter pumps in less than a year. Here is my solution :

Grab that old powerhead you have in the aquarium junk box we all have. Mine was an old Powerhead 301. I think they are owned by Aqua Clear now.

Take the Aqualifter off of the overflow.

Take a section of airline tubing and connect one end to the CPR Overflow and the other to the powerhead inlet (usually a small hole above the out flow port so you can add bubbles to the mix).

Place the powerhead in a convenient spot near the overflow.

Turn it on.

That's it. The powerhead will draw air from the overflow, creating an adequate siphon.
Much more reliable than the Aqualifter, which is a great, inexpensive tool, but not very long lasting as a siphon pump.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Fisch
04-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the awesome suggestion.
I am just trying to figure out how to set up my sump
Meg

HeidinJohn
06-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Yep, doing the same thing with mine but I have my power head located in my sump as I am using it on a UV filter located in the sump to pull water through it. I do still need to add water to the back 1/2 after a cleaning of the sump so there is water on both sides for the siphon to suck up as there is not enough suction to pull from the tank side only.