PDA

View Full Version : Need the best opinion

donnacona
02-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Which is the best for my 77 gal discus tank I'm putting together with substrate.

A) Pool filter sand.

B) Gravel
Stu:confused:

DiscusLoverJeff
02-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Stu,

Pool sand is best depending on your purpose. Are you doing a planted tank or just a display tank? How many discus? What else is in the tank? If you are growing them out, then Bare Bottom is what many will suggest.

JOSNNGUYEN
02-27-2014, 02:46 PM
I would go with white pool filter sand. it's nice, easy to clean, and it will not pepper your discus. but only use 1-2 inches of sand don't get it too thick.

Elliots
02-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Pool filter sand. Gravel is much more coarse and a lot of material settles into the gravel.

donnacona
02-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Pool filter sand. Gravel is much more coarse and a lot of material settles into the gravel.

Well I had a gravel planted tank with a mating pair years ago , now I will be making a 77 gal tank with driftwood, some plants and stones ( and because of this reply it will be pool sand which I was leaning toward ). I have 4 young adults which I raised since last October, 3 Cory Doris will be going in the big tank. I also have 2 juvenile in a BB grow out tank, I got them last weekend they won't be going into the big tank before June or July. Guess that's all.
Stu
:thumbsup: