PDA

View Full Version : RO filter issue: no flow with blue output

DiscusBR
03-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Hi folks,

I just installed my first ever RO/DI filter. I built a water change system in my attic, which includes the container, a sink and the RO/DI filter:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee482/DiscusBR/1Mar2014251_zpsb40e12d0.jpg

Following the instructions, I flushed the system by running it for an hour. The issue I am having is that I get a strong flow in the black waste water tubing and very little flow in my blue output tubing. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong?

The system comes with a valve that increases the flow through the waste line, but I did close it when flushing the system. I don't understand why I get so much flow in the black, waste line, and almost nothing in the blue output line. Please advice.

Thanks,

Second Hand Pat
03-02-2014, 12:38 AM
Mauro, does it have a pressure gauge? If so what is the pressure reading?

DiscusBR
03-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Mauro, does it have a pressure gauge? If so what is the pressure reading?

Hi Pat, it does have a valve and it reads 45 psi when the system is on.

Second Hand Pat
03-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Mauro, the operation of your RO sounds about right given the pressure. Have you heard of a booster pump? I am fairly sure you will need one to boost the pressure to 75 psi or better.

stangmus
03-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Does your waste line split into 2 lines, then back into one? If it does, one line should have a flush valve, and the other a restrictor. That flush valve needs to stay closed during normal operation.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/TheAaarrrggg/ro-bits.jpg

DiscusBR
03-02-2014, 01:51 AM
Mauro, the operation of your RO sounds about right given the pressure. Have you heard of a booster pump? I am fairly sure you will need one to boost the pressure to 75 psi or better.

Oh boy, I hope a booster pump is not expensive...

Does your waste line split into 2 lines, then back into one? If it does, one line should have a flush valve, and the other a restrictor. That flush valve needs to stay closed during normal operation.

Yes, the waste line splits into two, as shown in the top part of your picture. The flush line was closed during the one hour flush and I still got almost no flow in the blue output line. Does this mean I will need a booster pump?

nc0gnet0
03-02-2014, 02:19 AM
flush valve needs to be closed during normal operation, open when you flush the system. You have things backwards. Close the valve and output should increase. Also, tell us your pressure after you close the valve.

DiscusLoverJeff
03-02-2014, 08:11 AM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/TheAaarrrggg/ro-bits.jpg

Mauro,

If you look at the picture that Stangmus provided; the valve here is in the open position. If this is what yours looks like as Rick mentioned when trying to run the system, then you have it open. You need to close the valve.

A booster pump costs about $125.00. It can take the normal PSI from 55/60 to 90/100 PSI.

nc0gnet0
03-02-2014, 08:53 AM
all my flush valves look like this, with the flow restrictor and the bypass being in the same small housing.

http://www.biggerbids.com/members/images/27288/public/3092105_ACC-FR14-FL.jpg

DiscusBR
03-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Thank you all for the answers and for the pictures. I will need to flush the system again the the valve open.

When I run the system for normal operation with the valve closed, I get psi around 43. In this setting, there is a strong flow in the black waste line, and very little in the blue output line. If I add a booster pump, will the flow of the blue output line really increase and the flow of the black waste really diminish? Is that how it works?

Thanks,

jsalas623
03-03-2014, 02:17 PM
On my RO/DI unit (Typhoon III Extreme 150) sometimes no water wants to go thru the system so I sometimes have to open up the valve for the DI I let that run water for a few seconds then close the DI valve and it works fine after that. When this first happened I thought the sytem was clogged somewhere or the filters needed to be changed seems like when ever this happens I just open up the DI valve and all the back pressure releases and I let water flow thru the system then works fine after that. I only use the RO part of the system and use the DI part only when the system seems clogged(no waste water producing). Its weird I know. Also the output seems about right. I only get a trickle of RO compared to the waste water flow.

aalbina
03-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Even when the flush valve is set correctly you will always get more waste water than RO water. Higher pressure will slightly reduce but not eliminate the waste water. This is how it is suppose to work. I think the ratio is somewhere around 1:4 RO to waste depending on the condition of the RO membrane. Restricting the waste flow too much will probably foul up your membrane quicker. The waste water has to flow over the dirty side of the membrane to "sweep" away the waste material. Increase in pressure and adding a second membrane can get you closer to 1:1 ratio. Here's some testing from the Filters guys - that ran through a bunch of scenarios and configurations for RO and RO/DI water savings. http://thefilterguys.biz/test_results.htm

Adam

DiscusLoverJeff
03-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Mauro,

If you can time the amount of good water it takes to make one gallon, maybe we can see if there is something else wrong? My theory is with only 43psi, you will have more waste water until you boost up the psi.

Buckeye Hydro
07-14-2014, 05:02 PM
If you're goal is to reduce waste water, we recommend you do NOT add a second membrane, There is a much more efficient, cost effective way of doing that.

Russ