PDA

View Full Version : Can Discus be raised alone or in just a pair?

travis.sunderland
03-06-2014, 03:54 PM
I currently have a 20 gal tank with:

1 columbian shark 4"
1 rainbow shark 4"
2 Platy 2"
1 buenos aires tetra 3"
1 albino bristle nose pleco 3"
1 yoyo loach 2"
1 rosy long-finned barb 3"

Future plans of upgrading to a 40 or 55 gal tank.

These are all just fish I've collected from local pet stores and obviously aren't the most difficult to care for.

I would really like to add a pair of discus but I've been told they are much more difficult to care for.

Any information on whether or not these sounds like they would work together would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OC Discus
03-06-2014, 04:50 PM
I currently have a 20 gal tank with:

1 columbian shark 4"
1 rainbow shark 4"
2 Platy 2"
1 buenos aires tetra 3"
1 albino bristle nose pleco 3"
1 yoyo loach 2"
1 rosy long-finned barb 3"

Future plans of upgrading to a 40 or 55 gal tank.

These are all just fish I've collected from local pet stores and obviously aren't the most difficult to care for.

I would really like to add a pair of discus but I've been told they are much more difficult to care for.

Any information on whether or not these sounds like they would work together would be much appreciated.

A pair of discus would need that whole tank for themselves. It should also be sterilized to kill pathogens before they are introduced.

travis.sunderland
03-06-2014, 04:52 PM
A pair of discus would need that whole tank for themselves. It should also be sterilized to kill pathogens before they are introduced.

Why do they require so much room compared to others it seems?

John_Nicholson
03-06-2014, 04:54 PM
You have probably just never seen a healthy large pair of discus....they will kind of fill up a 20 gallon tank.

-john

travis.sunderland
03-06-2014, 04:57 PM
You have probably just never seen a healthy large pair of discus....they will kind of fill up a 20 gallon tank.

-john

Would the 20 gallon suffice them considering right now they are only a max of 3" a piece? I was hoping to have time to get a 55 gal setup going and move them all over in the future.

John_Nicholson
03-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Small discus do much better in groups of 6 or more. There is a whole section with stickies for beginners to discus. You might want to spend the next few days reading everything that you can.

-john

astrochick00
03-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Why do they require so much room compared to others it seems?

First they are really big fish, so they need lots of water to swim in. And as for adding a "pair," do you mean an adult breeding pair? Or just 2 discus? Discus are really herd animals, they live in very large shoals in the wild. If you are thinking of buying young/small discus, you should try to keep at least 5 of them together. They can get really depressed and sick just from the stress of being alone.

As you noted above, they have slightly different needs compared to some other tropical fish. Discus are not "harder" to keep than other aquarium fish, just different. For instance, when you start out with discus, you would want to use a large tank with no gravel or sand on the bottom and very limited plants or decorations. That's WAY different than other aquarium fish. And the reason is that discus only thrive in a very clean environment. The gunk that gets trapped in the gravel/sand builds up over time and can be a breeding ground for harmful bacteria and parasites. Decorations can be dangerous for the same reason, it's hard to keep them clean. Also discus sometimes hurt themselves by running into plastic decorations or driftwood pieces.

I'm not saying that you absolutely CAN'T have a community tank with discus, but it would be a lot better for you to get used to keeping discus in a very simple set up first. Your pet store fish, unfortunately, shouldn't be mixed in with discus because they have a high likelihood of carrying disease (this is a sad truth about most pet store fish). Once you've bought discus, you need to do everything possible to keep from exposing them to disease or parasites.

If you've fallen in love with these fish, and can't seem to get over the idea of buying some. GO FOR IT! Just do your homework ahead of time, read up on their temperature and water parameter preferences. Buy an adequate tank that will be for discus alone, at least until you really get a feel for them. Make sure you are willing to dedicate the time to keeping their water fresh and clean and having the right kinds of food on hand for them. Study up on the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium (a quick trip to wikipedia is enough), so you will know how and why to cycle a new tank and how to test for dangerous substances in the water.

Discus are truly the most rewarding aquarium fish. When they are cared for properly, there is no fish more magnificent. But they are a really hands-on pets, more like a dog than a goldfish.

Every single person on this forum started out just like you at some point. Simply is a fantastic tool for every level of discus-keeper, and you are really smart to ask questions before you have a negative experience. Welcome to the forum!

Lindsay

Skip
03-06-2014, 06:42 PM
I think by pair.. he means only 2 discus... not a breeding pair...

Op.. u need to look at sticky threads in beginner section.. lots of info for u to go thru

Bill63SG
03-06-2014, 07:15 PM

-john

He saw some last night John,lol.
OP/Travis came over to buy some juvies,and after talking with him,suggested he wait awhile and check out Simply and do some research.
Skip,he dose mean just 2 fish.

Skip
03-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Skip, he does mean just 2 fish.

OP.. than NO.. 2 fish is not good

travis.sunderland
03-06-2014, 07:20 PM
OP.. than NO.. 2 fish is not good

Hey Bill

Skip- unfortunately that was the goal but the more I keep reading, the more I want to start a discus tank alone. They seem like a lot of work compared to my current selection but I'm working on convincing myself it's worth it.

From what I can see, ph levels, temp, tank size, and constant water changes seem to be the biggest things to be concerned with. Obviously I have a lot more to learn though, plus it helps that my girlfriend is interested in this too so to me that's a green light

treemanone2003
03-06-2014, 07:30 PM
He saw some last night John,lol.
OP/Travis came over to buy some juvies,and after talking with him,suggested he wait awhile and check out Simply and do some research.
Skip,he dose mean just 2 fish.

Sounds like Bill will be mentoring an apprentice and future Discus keeper ?

Bill63SG
03-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Sounds like Bill will be mentoring an apprentice and future Discus keeper ?

Lol.Travis,PH not so much, consistancy is key.water changes for the young'uns,not as many when they're adults.

travis.sunderland
03-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Lol.Travis,PH not so much, consistancy is key.water changes for the young'uns,not as many when they're adults.

This is frustrating but also exciting. I'm already looking for a tank online to startup with. Hopefully I can get all that I need and take it slow to fully understand what I'm getting into.

Elliots
03-06-2014, 07:53 PM
If you are going to have Discus get the biggest tank you can fit where you live and can afford. Upgrading the size is hard. Since you are looking on line I hope that means used and large 100-125-150 gallon. Before you get the tank do not forget to calculate large water bills if you pay them and cost of electricity.

travis.sunderland
03-06-2014, 08:07 PM
If you are going to have Discus get the biggest tank you can fit where you live and can afford. Upgrading the size is hard. Since you are looking on line I hope that means used and large 100-125-150 gallon. Before you get the tank do not forget to calculate large water bills if you pay them and cost of electricity.

If I were even able to get a 100+ gal tank, how do you possibly keep up with 50% water changes daily along with keeping it at all the right levels and temp when adding it back in?

Ryan
03-06-2014, 08:21 PM
A 125 - 150 gallon would be great, but most people aren't keeping tanks that large for a small group of discus. A 55 would suffice, but a 75 or 90 would be better. Maybe you can land a good deal on Craigslist for a 75 or a 90.

Your main concern with water changes is not the pH level itself, but pH fluctuation. If your water comes out of the tap at one pH but shifts considerably after aging, you obviously don't want to do massive water changes with new tap because the fish will go through a giant pH swing every day. This is stressful and your fish will certainly show it.

The first thing I'd suggest is a quick test -- test your pH right out of the tap, then fill up a cup of water and let it sit out overnight and check the pH 24 hours later. If there isn't a major change, you can do water changes right from the tap by simply adjusting the temperature and adding dechlorinator (if your water contains chlorine/chloramine) directly to the tank. I've done water changes this way for years. If there is a giant pH swing, it will most likely require you to age your water, but more on that later... just try the overnight pH test first and report back.

The reason why two unpaired juvenile discus won't often work is because discus have a high level of conspecific aggression when they aren't kept in great enough numbers. They develop a hierarchy where aggression is spread out amongst the group. When you only have two fish, the dominant fish will most likely harass/nip/chase the submissive fish until it stresses and/or dies. The same happens with three fish. The bare minimum I'd keep is four, but with juveniles it's best to have 6+. I have kept sub-adults and young adults in groups as small as 4 and they do okay but juveniles can be really nasty to each other in the 2.5 - 3.5" range. For that reason, I always just suggest 6 fish.

Discus aren't hard, they just require dedication. Most hobbyists scoff at daily water changes but if you want big, beautiful, vibrant discus they are basically required. Or, as I always tell people, you can buy adult fish. They are more expensive but then the hard work is done for you. All you need to do is maintain them. This still requires a few water changes a week but at least you won't mess up their growth and development without more frequent water changes like you will with young discus.

OC Discus
03-06-2014, 10:47 PM
I would agree that 55 g is the minimum size, but a good beginner discus tank. I would also recommend getting 4" and above to start out. If your goal is 5 fish, and you buy 8 young fish (2-3") at $50 each, your spending $400. You will need to remove at least two of the fish before they reach adult size. Also, if you are not on top of daily water changes, you might lose a couple of the fish to new tank syndrome, disease or parasites.

But if you start with 5 fish at 4-5" at about $100 each, you are really only spending about $100 more up front, and saving yourself a lot of trouble and money down the road treating for disease and parasites.

You might be able to find a good 55, 75, 90, or 125 gallon used setup on Craigslist for less than a new set up from Walmart. If you buy new, Kits can be bought for less than individual pieces.

If you know Bill, you have an expert to advise you. I would just recommend planning the easiest water change system you can up front- A python from the kitchen sink, A pump and hose from a barrel or container in the bathtub. Be prepared to do 50% daily water changes if you get 2-3" fish, or at least two large 75% water changes for adults. With a good pump you can change 80% about as fast as 50%. Good luck.

travis.sunderland
03-07-2014, 12:13 AM
I appreciate all the responses and great advice. I will keep you all posted on what kind of plan I can come up with.

treemanone2003
03-07-2014, 01:19 AM
I know you stated previous experience within this hobby but a list of more Discus specific abbreviations that might help in your exploration here.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=88079